Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-05-2010, 22:48   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Since the fear mongers have sold USanians their paranoia , European tourism to the eastern US has dropped 40% and has increased 40% to Canada. They consider the US one of the hardest countries to get into, so don't bother much any more.
Thanks for the business.
I don't suppose you have some sort of reputable source for that?

FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:31   #92
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Hey Boatman...Just ask us west coasties what we generally think of east coasties manors....its a different country...LOL..Land on the other coast next time...
LMAO..... Cheers Stillraining... may just take you up on that one day... if I can get a direct flight with no stop-overs....
Wish I still had the hair to stick some flowers in tho'....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:52   #93

In case anyone's wondering, there IS water at the dock in Hiva Oa, but you have to jug it.

I just had to get a new passport because I'd filled my last one up in 2 years, so I know a bit about getting visas and bonds. Trust me, the FP bond requirements for non-EU nationals are no better or worse than other requirements for other nationals in a lot of other places including the US. It's no big deal, check in to Hiva Oa and pay your bond or buy/produce your air-ticket cruise around the islands til you're done. Check out of Papete and get your money back in FP francs, spend it on Moorea, Raitea, Taaha & Huahine then head off for the Cook Islands for more fun.

My wife and I have EU passports and we had to buy a refundable air-ticket in order to check off one boat in Papete and onto another - they just want to make sure you've got the means to leave, same as many many other countries in the world. Fortunately we can speak a smattering of French and the lady in the travel agency was extremely helpful providing us with a receipt and tickets which she immediately canceled. Kept the officials happy!

If you think you can travel the world without visa/bond issues, you're in for a big surprise!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:16   #94

Boat: deboated
Found the French through out the South Pacific to be very helpfull including Gov. officials - Have fun wish I was there!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:30   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourOldNemesis View Post
Fortunately we can speak a smattering of French and the
I would suspect that this makes a huge difference anywhere you go. Everyone likes to feel respected, and showing up not even having bothered to learn "Hello" in their language is a quick way to make it seem like you don't.
I know "English is the official maritime language", but some things require dealing with non-maritime authorities, and anyway, I'd rather be polite and welcomed, than right and kicked out.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:19   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
The customs and immigration men in Papeete speak pretty good English, until you start complaining or disobey the rules--then they only understand French.

Many countries have costs of entry--they just come in different forms. You can spend $300 for one night in the Bahamas, or spend the equivalent in FP on the bond, or give the Australian quarantine service the money for taking all your food and checking your bottom...it would be great if there was an internet website which published the current costs in all forms for each country.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:05   #97

Boat: Ericson 39B - Senta II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
What will they do? Whatever the hell they want, it's their country. They'll treat you like a criminal, just like we do to people who get caught entering the country illegally.Think about it. They have tropical paradise with limited resources and a pretty high cost of living. If they let every penniless scoundrel that wanted to drift in with no capacity to leave come there the whole place would fill up with losers from around the world, begging or stealing to get by, taking the jobs that locals need, burdening public services, etc., etc.
Pretty good summary.

-Sven
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57   #98

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
...it would be great if there was an internet website which published the current costs in all forms for each country.
http://www.noonsite.com/
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:35   #99

Boat: bristol 27
If all they care about is that you have means to leave, then it should include any means.

Air-fare is a far-fetched expensive high-pollution, unsustainable and ludicrous form of transit. There are people (such as I) who have problems with air-sickness, fear of flight, inconvenient destination etc... Not to mention our lack of understanding of the long term effects of air travel on the atmosphere. (yes it really changes the weather)

For example, if you have exceptional charisma, then you could easily bum a ride from another cruiser and thus be except from any bonds. Have flippers? swim for it.

How about voluntary death/suicide if you stay too long? I like the firing squad agreement idea.

Its a bit confusing that they think FP is part of europe.. it isn't, europe is on the opposide side of the world. They just happened to go there and claim it a long time ago, but maybe as suggested earlier, the only way to change their mind would be to (successfully) rape and pillage the islands, overthrow the government there, etc etc..

There really _is_ such a thing as a world citizen. You _can_ get a world passport. And hundreds of countries, including FP, _have_ stamped it.

For now I think I will work more toward dodging around certain islands, and it is good to know you can probably leave if you make a mistake and visit the wrong one.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
If you can have the passport of a world citizen, who's taxes do you pay to be a part of their social systems?
That's just what French (yes a part of europe) polynesia, wants to avoid, freeloaders.
By having a passport, even a world passport, don't you defeat your own ideal of being a global citizen? If there were truly global citizens there would be no need for a passport of any kind except for in the instance of space travel......
Old 05-05-2010, 11:18   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
There really _is_ such a thing as a world citizen. You _can_ get a world passport. And hundreds of countries, including FP, _have_ stamped it.
Well, you could always try explaining it to them. When your sentence is finished and they deport you, you can let us know why they didn't play ball.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50   #102
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If there were truly global citizens there would be no need for a passport of any kind except for in the instance of space travel......
But if Geckosenator went to Mars without a passport he would be an Illegal Alien

The locals might then zap him with a Ray Gun. and do probing experiments...............

................plusses and minuses to that I guess
Old 05-05-2010, 11:53   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But if Geckosenator went to Mars without a passport he would be an Illegal Alien

The locals might then zap him with a Ray Gun. and do probing experiments...............

................plusses and minuses to that I guess
Is your goat a world citizen?! seems only fitting so long as we're on this track......might be eaiser for a goat to explain this the the officals when landing on foreign soil
Old 05-05-2010, 13:03   #104
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
If all they care about is that you have means to leave, then it should include any means.

Air-fare is a far-fetched expensive high-pollution, unsustainable and ludicrous form of transit. There are people (such as I) who have problems with air-sickness, fear of flight, inconvenient destination etc... Not to mention our lack of understanding of the long term effects of air travel on the atmosphere. (yes it really changes the weather)

For example, if you have exceptional charisma, then you could easily bum a ride from another cruiser and thus be except from any bonds. Have flippers? swim for it.

How about voluntary death/suicide if you stay too long? I like the firing squad agreement idea.

Its a bit confusing that they think FP is part of europe.. it isn't, europe is on the opposide side of the world. They just happened to go there and claim it a long time ago, but maybe as suggested earlier, the only way to change their mind would be to (successfully) rape and pillage the islands, overthrow the government there, etc etc..

For now I think I will work more toward dodging around certain islands, and it is good to know you can probably leave if you make a mistake and visit the wrong one.
Sounds like Hawaii.... if we're gonna get silly....Lmao.

As I understand it Maritime Law permits you to enter port for 48 hrs in emergencies such as repairs/water/provisions but no shore leave is permitted and only the Skipper/designated person is permitted ashore to arrange repairs/resupply. being solo most of the time thats spot on for me
If wrong I'm sure someone will correct me...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:23   #105
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
While it depends on how one defines "country," but by any definition, there are less than 200 countries, total, on the planet.

http://geography.about.com/cs/countr...rcountries.htm

TaoJones

Tags
French Polynesia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: