Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 16:48   #76
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,037
"But it is all right to call the French Nazi's and Facists?"
That would depend on whether one was referring to Vichy France, no?

To the Welsh they're probably all damned Saxons, or close enough, anyway. Genocide and conquest, the world's oldest hobbies.
__________________

__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 17:05   #77
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LMAO... sounds just like The 'Good Ole US of A.... as I entered Newark I was asked by the guy checking the passports to go down a passage to an office at the end.. knocked on the door and a voice told me to "come in".. There were two gentlemen in there chewing on 'Sub's' and reading their papers... I explained I'd been told to come here... a grunt was the reply and they carried on munching while I stood there for 15 minutes...
One of them finished, looked up and said "So whadya want in the US.. why are you here"... I explained I'd come to buy a boat and had an overnight wait to link on to New Bern....
He then told me "Well you've got ninety days here bud then get out or we'll bust ya... we like busting folks" tossed my UK passport towards me and told me to leave...
Ever felt welcome...??
Needless to say since that day I've little time for Americans whinging on about how hard done by they are....
Reap as you have Sown buddies....
Isn't Brent Canadian?
__________________

__________________
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 17:31   #78
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,204
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Isn't Brent Canadian?
LOL... in that case he should learn French and claim he's from Quebec... draw on the ole Gallic ties....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 15:38   #79
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LMAO... sounds just like The 'Good Ole US of A.... as I entered Newark I was asked by the guy checking the passports to go down a passage to an office at the end.. knocked on the door and a voice told me to "come in".. There were two gentlemen in there chewing on 'Sub's' and reading their papers... I explained I'd been told to come here... a grunt was the reply and they carried on munching while I stood there for 15 minutes...
One of them finished, looked up and said "So whadya want in the US.. why are you here"... I explained I'd come to buy a boat and had an overnight wait to link on to New Bern....
He then told me "Well you've got ninety days here bud then get out or we'll bust ya... we like busting folks" tossed my UK passport towards me and told me to leave...
Ever felt welcome...??
Needless to say since that day I've little time for Americans whinging on about how hard done by they are....
Reap as you have Sown buddies....
Since the fear mongers have sold USanians their paranoia , European tourism to the eastern US has dropped 40% and has increased 40% to Canada. They consider the US one of the hardest countries to get into, so don't bother much any more.
Thanks for the business.

Good point boatman.

Quebecois get no breaks in French Polynesia.
__________________
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 16:30   #80
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LMAO... sounds just like The 'Good Ole US of A.... as I entered Newark I was asked by the guy checking the passports to go down a passage to an office at the end.. knocked on the door and a voice told me to "come in".. There were two gentlemen in there chewing on 'Sub's' and reading their papers... I explained I'd been told to come here... a grunt was the reply and they carried on munching while I stood there for 15 minutes...
One of them finished, looked up and said "So whadya want in the US.. why are you here"... I explained I'd come to buy a boat and had an overnight wait to link on to New Bern....
He then told me "Well you've got ninety days here bud then get out or we'll bust ya... we like busting folks" tossed my UK passport towards me and told me to leave...
Ever felt welcome...??
Needless to say since that day I've little time for Americans whinging on about how hard done by they are....
Reap as you have Sown buddies....

I am truly sorry to hear that story.

It sounds unbelievable to me but I must assume it true to hear your bitterness.

I wish there was something I could have done to interfere and I think a lot here would feel the same way. I am personlly embarassed by that incident.

I know things are a lot more strict now and many are new at it. No excuse really but other countries have had these things in place far longer and know how to enforce and behave at the same time.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 17:20   #81
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,204
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I am truly sorry to hear that story.

It sounds unbelievable to me but I must assume it true to hear your bitterness.

I wish there was something I could have done to interfere and I think a lot here would feel the same way. I am personlly embarassed by that incident.

I know things are a lot more strict now and many are new at it. No excuse really but other countries have had these things in place far longer and know how to enforce and behave at the same time.
Therapy...
Sorry if I came across as bitter.. I did not mean to.. I'm not.. it was just one guys story about "Border Hassles"...
Personally I find the whole US Terror Alert System hilarious and easy to bypass from my personal experiences.. just not by air..
I would relate some of the things that have happened to me during "High Alerts" but this is not the post for it I guess...
Just suffice it to say that to my mind/observation they're aimed more at keeping you guys wound uptight than keeping terrorism at bay...
I would if the need/opportunity arose, return to the US for a boat again... and put up with the indignities for a purpose... but for a holiday?
The object was to illustrate to you guys what we have to put up with in response to the gripes often heard on here from a few of the Americans who are or want to visit other countries.
**** Happens.. its not unique to Americans
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 17:23   #82
Registered User
 
tager's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vashon, WA
Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Posts: 837
I think the temporary visa option sounds pretty appealing. I mean, who wants thousands of dollars in a currency you can't use?
__________________
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 17:28   #83
Registered User
 
speakeasy's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: La Paz
Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Therapy...
Sorry if I came across as bitter.. I did not mean to.. I'm not.. it was just one guys story about "Border Hassles"...
Personally I find the whole US Terror Alert System hilarious and easy to bypass from my personal experiences.. just not by air..
I would relate some of the things that have happened to me during "High Alerts" but this is not the post for it I guess...
Just suffice it to say that to my mind/observation they're aimed more at keeping you guys wound uptight than keeping terrorism at bay...
I would if the need/opportunity arose, return to the US for a boat again... and put up with the indignities for a purpose... but for a holiday?
The object was to illustrate to you guys what we have to put up with in response to the gripes often heard on here from a few of the Americans who are or want to visit other countries.
**** Happens.. its not unique to Americans
Yes to the bold wisdom above. Sorry for the hassles. America the Beautiful hasn't been for a while now, since we contracted a nasty case of fascist creep. I suppose it's always something like this as Imperial power begins to wane. Saludos, Jon
__________________
"The nature of the universe is such that ends can never justify the means. On the contrary, the means always determine the end." ---Aldous Huxley
speakeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 17:31   #84
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Personally I find the whole US Terror Alert System hilarious and easy to bypass from my personal experiences.. just not by air..


Just suffice it to say that to my mind/observation they're aimed more at keeping you guys wound uptight than keeping terrorism at bay...


**** Happens.. its not unique to Americans

Agreed.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 17:49   #85
Marine Service Provider
 
Inkwell's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Simons Island, Ga.
Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Posts: 241
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Checked out the Lat 38 site and found this link that should answer a lot of questions.
//www.pacificpuddlejump.com/updates.html

Try this: http://www.pacificpuddlejump.com/updates.html
__________________
Eat Well. Savor Life.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:01   #86
Senior Cruiser
 
Opie91's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Boat: C&C 34
Posts: 811
Sorry about your border hassle....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Personally I find the whole US Terror Alert System hilarious and easy to bypass from my personal experiences.. just not by air..

I would relate some of the things that have happened to me during "High Alerts" but this is not the post for it I guess...
Just suffice it to say that to my mind/observation they're aimed more at keeping you guys wound uptight than keeping terrorism at bay...

**** Happens.. its not unique to Americans
Sorry to hear you had problems, you obviously sound like someone who should be welcomed into the country. Newark is not know as the hospitality capital of the USA....

Could not agree with you more about the terror alert system. I work at a regional airport that has a "High Terror Alert" with no full time police force??? The signs look great though. Bet they would not give you a problem if you could sail over the Mexican border...

By the way do you know the most common saying in the French army?

I give up...
__________________
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:26   #87
Senior Cruiser
 
Minggat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hawaii, South Pacific bound
Boat: Islander 36
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Cat sailors are not human.
Yeah. I hear they actually LIKE vanilla.
__________________
Minggat
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:46   #88
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,204
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Sorry to hear you had problems, you obviously sound like someone who should be welcomed into the country. Newark is not know as the hospitality capital of the USA....

Could not agree with you more about the terror alert system. I work at a regional airport that has a "High Terror Alert" with no full time police force??? The signs look great though. Bet they would not give you a problem if you could sail over the Mexican border...

By the way do you know the most common saying in the French army?

I give up...
Lmao... don't have to go that far south... Beaufort Inlets just fine... CG/Military base's make it so much more fun as you sail on by....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:50   #89
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler
 
sarafina's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco
Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Posts: 5,559
Images: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Yeah. I hear they actually LIKE vanilla.
yeah? she looks like she would like vanilla...

__________________
Sara

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 21:36   #90
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Hey Boatman...Just ask us west coasties what we generally think of east coasties manors....its a different country...LOL..Land on the other coast next time...
__________________

__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
French Polynesia

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boatyards in Raiatea, French Polynesia getlostonpurpose Pacific & South China Sea 5 03-11-2015 09:58
Yellow Fever - French Polynesia jim_thomsen Pacific & South China Sea 11 07-04-2010 17:04
Ninety Day Visa in French Polynesia jim_thomsen Pacific & South China Sea 11 27-11-2009 06:25
French Polynesia Crusing Guide Limpet Pacific & South China Sea 14 05-06-2008 06:19
Visa Requirements French Polynesia Mark van Niekerk Pacific & South China Sea 1 29-01-2008 04:55



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.