Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 15:25   #166

Re: What if You Can't Pay the Bond in French Polynesia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I am still interested in visiting the islands, but I should try to only go to the ones without banks!

Since I think air travel is wrong and I would refuse to board a plane. Saying the bond pays for air fare makes no sense to me. Why return to somewhere else when you are already home?

I don't really think of it as "their" country any more than mine. We are all citizens of the earth and I have every right to be there or anywhere else. Whether or not I have money is irrelevant. I should get a world passport so they don't know I am a US citizen.

There are non-US citizens anchored in federal waters who are "freeloading" (picking up the free food the government gives away every month) and it is a great thing for them, and I am happy to see it!

It's true there are a lot of bad police here in the states, but I don't like them either. They asked me for a photo ID here (california) and I told them to **** off, and they had to go, but not without threatening me with a bunch of "police talk"

I don't believe in illegal immigrants, anyone should be allowed to come here for as long as they want and have all the rights of anyone else.
And then there's reality.....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 15:44   #167

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

You must not be from California where the state govt will be Greece in a few years, to a large extent from the cost of supporting all the illegal immigrants here. The value of the services they use - medical/education/food etc. is greater than people on social security.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:09   #168

Boat: C&C MarkII, 24 ft.

Sailing ain't for cheapskates....it costs MONEY...and there is NOTHING that is FREE.
CalienteinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26   #169
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalienteinCR View Post
Sailing ain't for cheapskates....it costs MONEY...and there is NOTHING that is FREE.
i see free boats all the time!
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 08:28   #170

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Why all the talk about bonds and currency exchanges when it is so easy to get a refundable ticket?? Paid for in your very own currency even!

If you have a good relationship with your travel agent, they will even issue you a ticket without charging you. Too easy.

Atoll's MCO looks pretty good, too.

The issues about bonds are irrelevant since it is the least attractive option for a 2013 yachtie.
Not so easy, for some. Ya I agree that bond posting is a pain in the arse. As are the fees charged for staying in the Cook Islands, or that you must pay to stay at the marina in Samoa. However the French have their way of extracting their pound of flesh as well. Bonding whoever they can. Cost of entering their bit of captured heaven.

As to the refundable airfare route, for us not as easy as it seemed. As an eu citizen I was home free so no problems, my Thai wife well somewhat different.

So she needs a visa. Must buy health insurance for the time in French poly. Must have money in bank, must have air ticket home. Be careful about the refundable airfare bit. Most tickets ran to about $2400 for a ticket to Bangkok. However on page ten of the small print their was the cancelation fee. The best deal for us was a fee of $1700!

The only other option was buying a first class ticket for $9000!! The puddle jumpers seems the best way to go, however they have had some problems with boats doing the dirty.

Is cruising free? No. Is it cheap? Rarely. Are the peoples of the small nations in "paradise" unaware of selling their assets to us " rich whites" in our exotic white plastic palaces? Less so every year. It is a pain, but the reality of the world is that the have nots want what we have got. Is that not how our capitalistic world works? Just hope that I am not priced out of the market just yet.
Old 17-11-2013, 08:39   #171

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
You must not be from California where the state govt will be Greece in a few years, to a large extent from the cost of supporting all the illegal immigrants here. The value of the services they use - medical/education/food etc. is greater than people on social security.
I just love it when the poor and the people on the fringes of society. Get blamed for all of societies ills. The illegal immigrants can't vote, are employed in all the jobs the rest of society won't take, for less pay then anyone else would, don't hold any power of any sort, though when things go bad it's always their fault. Easier to have a scapegoat then look in the mirror I guess
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 12:39   #172

well said cortezsailor.. I just say, if you really can't afford it, then go to a number of other islands a that are just as beautiful and far cheaper. Then save your kitty to return at a later date.. No big rush as that's the whole reason for sailing, no??
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
French Polynesia