Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 09:32   #136
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: What if You Can't Pay the Bond in French Polynesia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm English... my word is my Bond...
How refreshing!Wish it was true everywhere else...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 13:16   #137
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

My crew and I left for Tahiti last January to deliver a Beneteau tjat was in Raiatea. Prior to leaving I had contacted Pascal at Tahiti Yacht Services and he issued a letter or guarantee so no bond was needed. Owner had purchased one way tickets and at both Air Tahiti Nui and at immigration, showed the letters and no problems at all. Cost? Zero, just the phone call and the promise of a couple of drinks and dinner! Do some research and a few phone calls but to sail in with an "I'll do whatever I want" attitude, you'd be doing all of us a favor but staying tied up to you dock at home. BTW what's the name of your boat?
not edited or proofed due to a lousy keyboard and fat fingers and#pop!# bee....
Loco Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 15:07   #138

We have been to FP three times. Will skip it the next and go back to Samoa then Fiji. If it is your first time then don't miss it. Doesn't matter the cost.
Blighwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 16:16   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

In the mid '70s, Tahiti/French Polynesia required a bond of sorts. You didn't have to post it with the authorities, financial institution or show an airline ticket. You just went to the visa office and showed them cash for each member of your crew, something like $500 each. Those with little cash would take up a collection amongst the cruisers on the Quai to generate the necessary cash and return it as soon the visa(s) was issued. Assume too many crew ended up indigent on the beadh with no money forcing the government to front the airfare out of the country. The authorities in Papeete got wise to what was happening and now require an official bond or an airline ticket.

Posting the bond shouldn't be that big a deal for anyone cruising. It represents a few months cruising expenses even for the very frugal cruiser. FP is not an overly rich nation and doesn't want to front the return airfare for every indigent/homeless person who lands on their shores. FWIW, Hawaii supplies plane tickets for the homeless that want to leave the Islands. With our screwed up welfare system, it's cheaper for the State to ship them back home than pay the benefits.

For any foreigner cruising the US, a bond would be a minor issue. All the other regulations and reporting requirements would deter me from cruising the US waters.

FWIW, believe the OP was the same guy whose boat was detained and then asked to leave NZ after overstaying his visa. He's basically indigent and living off the land/sea. Can understand why most countries wouldn't want to grant him entry or, at the least, require a bond before being allowed in a country.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 03:19   #140
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I think there are several people here that should apologise with comments about Nazism. ( probably wouldnt know it even if they voted for it) Or the continuos denigration of French military history, which is as glorious or inglorious as you view of all belligerents

Then theres the the "gratitude " argument. what nonsense. As if all the European war dead should be grateful. ( to who). as it is the EU gives 90 days on request to USA visitors , I mean what more do you want. and the EU doesnt change the rules if you arrive by yacht or yak caravan.

Not to mentioned comments about teh EU and the league of nations, more jingoism.

I do not see what purpose these racist comments add to a debate about entry requirements to FP.

And yes the US is a difficult place to gain entry arriving by yacht, far more difficult then foreigners arriving by yacht in the EU.

I blame General Gage, really

Dave
Old 28-08-2013, 04:28   #141

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Sheesh, this thread is getting hotter every time I look at it! Ice cream anyone?

Mauritz
Tahiti or BUST!
Old 28-08-2013, 05:09   #142
CLOD

Boat: none

did the question ever get answered (because I lost track and can not now remember reading a real answer)

what happens if they want you to post the bond and for whatever reason you can't?
Old 28-08-2013, 05:20   #143
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I seem to recall this happening in 2005 when I was there. The boat was given something like a 7 day clearance to transit from Hiva Oa to Tahiti and then was cleared out of Tahiti after a short stop.

One nice thing about Tahiti is they don't take much BS. As a French citizen you have to apply for residency to live there. not like Hawaii where you can just turn up and pitch a tent in the state park.
Old 28-08-2013, 12:45   #144
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Posting the bond shouldn't be that big a deal for anyone cruising. "
I wouldn't mind saying "here's my money, I'll be back for it next week" but when someone insists that I have to use currency exchanges twice, both ways, in order to do that? That's simply picking my pocket under another name, and pretending you're not doing it.

On the whole larger EU/US/etc visa thing? By all means, take Mr. Kerry out to lunch and ask him to discuss a full reciprocity waiver program. These things cut both ways and it should be to our mutual advantage to open up that--both ways.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 12:57   #145

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

GoBoatingNow,

As yachties, we've dealt with the French High Commission in Tahiti and in New Caledonia, and yes, I understand France is part of the EU. However, it is the French who take an interest in those places, and are responsible for logging data* on you and your boat and giving you permission to visit those places of their "Outre Mer", and yes, they reasonably require the bond. (reasons posted way, way back in the thread)

*their customs took photos of our boat in 1990, for inclusion in our "dossier", as they explained

Ann
Old 29-09-2013, 15:13   #146

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Posting the bond shouldn't be that big a deal for anyone cruising. "
I wouldn't mind saying "here's my money, I'll be back for it next week" but when someone insists that I have to use currency exchanges twice, both ways, in order to do that? That's simply picking my pocket under another name, and pretending you're not doing it.
You do not have to use local currency exchange for the bond. You can use your Visa at the local bank and be charged in FP Francs. Obviously you have currency exchange via your own bank then to deal with. You do not have to use currency exchange on the exit either. The francs are not necessarily useless when you leave if you are going to visit other French Territoire Outre-Mer such as New Caledonia which use the same bills.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 15:18   #147
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
GoBoatingNow,

As yachties, we've dealt with the French High Commission in Tahiti and in New Caledonia, and yes, I understand France is part of the EU. However, it is the French who take an interest in those places, and are responsible for logging data* on you and your boat and giving you permission to visit those places of their "Outre Mer", and yes, they reasonably require the bond. (reasons posted way, way back in the thread)

*their customs took photos of our boat in 1990, for inclusion in our "dossier", as they explained

Ann
Why direct that at me.

Dave
Old 29-09-2013, 16:16   #148
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
In the mid '70s, Tahiti/French Polynesia required a bond of sorts. You didn't have to post it with the authorities, financial institution or show an airline ticket. You just went to the visa office and showed them cash for each member of your crew, something like $500 each. Those with little cash would take up a collection amongst the cruisers on the Quai to generate the necessary cash and return it as soon the visa(s) was issued. Assume too many crew ended up indigent on the beadh with no money forcing the government to front the airfare out of the country. The authorities in Papeete got wise to what was happening and now require an official bond or an airline ticket.

Posting the bond shouldn't be that big a deal for anyone cruising. It represents a few months cruising expenses even for the very frugal cruiser. FP is not an overly rich nation and doesn't want to front the return airfare for every indigent/homeless person who lands on their shores. FWIW, Hawaii supplies plane tickets for the homeless that want to leave the Islands. With our screwed up welfare system, it's cheaper for the State to ship them back home than pay the benefits.

For any foreigner cruising the US, a bond would be a minor issue. All the other regulations and reporting requirements would deter me from cruising the US waters.

FWIW, believe the OP was the same guy whose boat was detained and then asked to leave NZ after overstaying his visa. He's basically indigent and living off the land/sea. Can understand why most countries wouldn't want to grant him entry or, at the least, require a bond before being allowed in a country.
When I lived in Guam, Hawaii would round up the homeless and buy them a oneway ticket to Guam!! Woke one mourning to see a fellow with dreads pushing a shopping cart! The dreads were strange enough(in Guam),the shopping cart gave it all away,before I arrived at Andersen I had seen 4 people pushing shopping carts,one week later they went back to Hawaii...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:27   #149
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Obviously you have currency exchange via your own bank then to deal with."
Yes, but whatever bank is used, the local banks are still 'exchanging' currency with them, so someone local is still making a profit, even if I use a domestic bank and take a portion of their profit away.
There's no reason for the two conversions, except to tax all transients. So call it a customs clearance fee and at least be honest about it. Don't try to pick my pocket and tell me you're just checking for lint.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:34   #150

Boat: Outbound 44

Are you suggesting they should not have their own currency? Do everything in US dollars?

Tags
French Polynesia