Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 12:01   #1

Boat: 40 ft Fuiji
West Coast Mexico - Sea of Cortez

As I've mentioned in previous posts my wife and I are planning to begin our sailing experience in one year as full time liveaboards.
We will pick up the boat in San Carlos Mexico in January or February. Is there any book or books that give ideas on where to go, what time of year to be in certain areas or certain areas that we shouldn't be in at certain times of the year. We initially want to stick somewhat close to the Sea of Cortez and the west coast of Mexico as far down as Guatemala. I was hoping there would be a book that describes good anchorages and courses going down the coast, short hop by hop. Also has anyone used marine internet and TV antennas. They are extremely expensive but do they work? Are there enough areas where WIFI is available that the antennas are not necesary?

Terry
Terry Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:08   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Charlie's charts.
Jack Williams Baja Boater's Guide
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:14   #3

SenorMechanico, that reply was faster than my edit, talk about being on the ball. Thanks, I believe someone has mentioned Charlies Charts before, I will order both your suggestions before I forget them.
Thanks
Terry
Old 08-12-2006, 21:33   #4

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
The Sea can be mighty chily in Feb. You'll want a shorty wetsuit for snorkelling. There's a bit of cruising around San Carlos, but it's much nicer over across in Bay of LA area and south. We headed south from San Carlos in a straight run to Mazatlan in a good following breeze (20-25 knots or so the whole way). Very easy sailing. Watch out for Northers (NW winds associated with Cold Fronts in USA) which can bring gale force winds to the Sea.

2nd for Charlies Charts - but don't anchor right where the stupid anchor symbol is located; pick your own good spot based on the conditions and your reading of the anchorage.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:44   #5

The Ba Ha Ha guide says only one has "accurate" information...GRRY Cunnigham...Do not know if he is the only one with good info, but I do know his is great... I also used Charlies Charts and Capt Rains as well...I would not go without Gerry's tho....

http://www.gerrycruise.com/

http://www.bajabooksandmaps.com/inde...ING_GUIDE.html

and you already have Charlie's...I meet his wife (Charlies I guess in 2003???, after Charlie had died...she was updating the info...I also have meet Gerry and an associate of his who was helping him update his guide, so I know both were updated in the last couple few years... Gerry keeps his boat in San Carlos (or use to) and has the BEST, bar none other, guide to the area around San Carlos, where there is some GREAT crusing and fantastic areas to visit/anchor...

Best of luck...
days of sparkling waters, nights of falling stars

I've got seashells, I've got souvenirs, I've got songs I've penned
I've got phographs, I've got memories, but mostly I've got friends

See the Faithful...
www.geocities.com/bradleybarrett
bradbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 13:24   #6

Evan, thanks for responding, there is a comfort in hearing that heading south can be an easy sail as we are novices. We also were planing on heading to the Mazatlan area first. Do those "Norther" winds get reported on the weather services or do they come up too quick? Can a well equiped true blue water cruiser handle those winds? I suppose a well protected anchorage is always safest. I will order the sugested charts as soon as I determine they are not already on the boat. I'm sure we can keep accumulating information as we progress as it seems that people go out of there way to help. Thanks again

Terry
Old 09-12-2006, 14:08   #7

Brad, thanks for the websites, I checked them out and have ordered charts and the Mexico Boating Guide. Sorry to hear you are ashore. My brother spent 8 years living on his boat in Paulsbo in Washington and was not overly excited about the winters there. I live in Alberta Canada so am looking forward to warmer days down south.
Thanks again
Terry
Old 09-12-2006, 14:25   #8

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Outside of hurricane season it's exremely rare to get dangerous weather in the Sae of Cortez. uncomfortable on occasion but not dangerous.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, sea of cortez