Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 10:25   #1

Boat: NewPort 33, Lucille
weather patterns baja/hawaii?

I'm trying to get a feel for the typical wind patterns form a trip from the NW to Baja and onto to Hawaii. Has anyone come across any charts online with an overview of the typical wind patterns that form up in the Eastern Pacific? I've found some good resources for forecast maps that cover this area, but the forecast is very short range and doesn't let me know if these are "normal" wind conditions, or just what's happening that day. Specifically, I'm trying to visualize where the Pacific High is during typically seasons.

Thanks!

-Nate
eldiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A pilot chart, or atlas, amongst other things, provides a month-by-month, grid-by-grid graphical representation of wind speed and direction based on historical data. The idea being to enable passage planning using the probability of favourable wind speed and direction for different possible routes at different times of the year. It must be emphasized that these charts are compiled on historical data and the winds actually experienced on a particular route may be quite different to that shown on the charts. Having said that, they are most useful in planning a route to give one the best chance of getting favourable conditions, for example, taking advantage of seasonal winds such as the Trades, and many other very predicable winds throughout the world.

Goto
NGA Digital Navigation Publications
Atlas of Pilot Charts
:
Maritime Safety Information

Publications 107 (North) and 108 (South) Pacific Ocean

pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_apc_list.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:07   #3

That's good info. Anyone used any of the info from QuikSCAT? Looks like a great resources but I haven't had any luck finding historical data in a graphical form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A pilot chart, or atlas, amongst other things, provides a month-by-month, grid-by-grid graphical representation of wind speed and direction based on historical data. The idea being to enable passage planning using the probability of favourable wind speed and direction for different possible routes at different times of the year. It must be emphasized that these charts are compiled on historical data and the winds actually experienced on a particular route may be quite different to that shown on the charts. Having said that, they are most useful in planning a route to give one the best chance of getting favourable conditions, for example, taking advantage of seasonal winds such as the Trades, and many other very predicable winds throughout the world.

Goto
NGA Digital Navigation Publications
Atlas of Pilot Charts
:
Maritime Safety Information

Publications 107 (North) and 108 (South) Pacific Ocean

pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_apc_list.html
Old 04-01-2008, 14:38   #4

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
weather patterns

Hi,
Get a copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising routes. And a copy of Ocean Passages for the World. Ocean Passages is primarily for Commercial Use but has all the old sailing routes and noted conditions used by sailing vessels.
You can also send a query off to Noonsite Cornell"s web site and they will promptly reply. I recently asked them about a transit So Cal to Hawaii this time of year and they were very helpful. Replys can be short and succinct. I would recommend Noonsite as a source of Info and also SV Watermelon's website they are also very helpful and spent quite a few years in the Pacific.
Rich
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 15:44   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 33 NAKIA
Send a message via Yahoo to svnakia Send a message via Skype™ to svnakia
Another option is to get visual passage planner, it's pricy but really does do the trick with regard to optimizing an offshore voyage. Also, often times a friend has a copy that you can borrow to check out your route.
svnakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 16:34   #6

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
You can't go too far wrong sailing down the West Coast in the summer. You'll get NW winds about 90% of the time.

Most people try to get to Mexico by November (after hurricane season), spend some time cruising Mexico then head to Hawaii the following June (beginning of the next hurricane season).

If you're not interested in Mexico, leave for Hawaii from San Fransisco in June/July. It'll be a broad reach the entire way (most years).

From now until May, I would stay put. This is not a good year on the West Coast (as you well know).

General rule of thumb for ocean passages:

Sail the tropics in the winter and above 38* in the summer only.

Don't go against the flow.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 15:43   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sounds like a good trip. I agree with Kanani. Mexico in Nov then head for Hawaii before the hurricane season.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 16:40   #8

Are the winds fairly consistent leaving from Mexico in the Spring heading for Hawaii? I know a lot places on the West cost still experience a lot of variable winds during the Spring, but than again this is coming from my experience with NW weather patterns where the summer is slow to come.

On the return trip, what are good windows to go from Hawaii back to the NW? Better to wait until later in the summer or wait until early fall to head back to the NW?

Thanks for the info, very helpful.
-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Sounds like a good trip. I agree with Kanani. Mexico in Nov then head for Hawaii before the hurricane season.
Old 10-01-2008, 16:50   #9

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiente View Post
Are the winds fairly consistent leaving from Mexico in the Spring heading for Hawaii? I know a lot places on the West cost still experience a lot of variable winds during the Spring, but than again this is coming from my experience with NW weather patterns where the summer is slow to come.

On the return trip, what are good windows to go from Hawaii back to the NW? Better to wait until later in the summer or wait until early fall to head back to the NW?

Thanks for the info, very helpful.
-Nate
The N. Pacific weather really doesn't stabilize until June. That's when the N Pac High stabilizes NE of Hawaii. Spring-time can bring anything from dead calms to severe cold fronts. If you leave before June, you will want to head to 20N then due west. Take lots of fuel, you may be doing a lot of motoring (to limit your exposure) but when you get the clod fronts, they won't be severe at that latitude.

You want to be out of Mexico before about the 10th of June. The farther south, close to the coast, the more serious the hurricane threat at that time. In July, the hurricanes wander a little farther off shore but stay below 20N. August, all bets are off. It's a very dangerous passage at that time.

The return to the NW is best done in Aug. Hurricanes don't usually get as far as Hawaii until Sept/Oct and you get plenty of warning.. Leave from Kauai. The old saying is, "Head north until the butter freezes then turn right".
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja