Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 12:01   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Actually it has just occurred to me that before setting off to Australia, would it not be possible to set up automatic E-mails to be sent every 10 days announcing that you intend to arrive?..........even if this has to be set up a year (or 2??!) in advance.

No law against changing your intentions?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 13:00   #32

Dana-Tenacity's comment

I have to point out that I'd long since scratched both NZ and AU from my fantasies of a world cruise; the former for the safety schedule and the latter for its customs rules. Both countries are desirable destinations, and I will be flying to NZ at some point (possibly taking a short charter if I can swing vacation time...) but I don't plan to stop there if the dream cruise ever comes through.

I respect and admire both countries; they certainly have the right to protect themselves and attempt to raise revenues however they choose. But just as I don't plan to sail in areas with recent reliable reports of piracy, I don't intend to take the risk of losing control of my boat by visiting those countries. They aren't the only countries on the list of "too risky". If I didn't have a US documented vessel I wouldn't be stopping there either. And I have serious questions about cruising the EU due to risk of VAT being applied if I get stuck there for some unforeseen reason. I'll re-assess "the list" as I get closer to sailing away, but it's only prudent to avoid trouble rather than try to get out of it.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 13:36   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine
I'll re-assess "the list" as I get closer to sailing away, but it's only prudent to avoid trouble rather than try to get out of it.
That kinda narrows things down a bit for a world cruise!

Actually although I have no immediate "big" cruising plans, and initially I would in any event probably be heading straight to the Med..............the only "civilised" place I have crossed off my list solely for paperwork and potential legal aggravation is the USA. (I know I am not a major criminal or a "terrorist", I just can't always prove it )

But a lot of this is all a matter of perception - I once worked for a South African Bank who hated dealing with Americans because they were too "high risk" and once for an American bank who had the same attitude to South Africans. I think they were both "right".
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 13:43   #34

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
As an ex pat Oz not sure what to say after reading all this.

All I can offer is an apology to those overseas guests treated in this way - and a suggestion maybe not all States in Oz neccessarily act the same way. Qld is known to be more of a police state than all the others.

However you should all be aware that despite the laid back attitude of most Ozzies, Oz always has been top heavy on officialdom. Even an Ozzie hero Ned Kelly was shot by them!

The good thing is the natives seem to know how to handle it, usually in a very practical way.

I recall one of the first radar speed cameras in Perth was taken out by a 4 x 4 that claimed it was blinded by the flash!

And a local radio station helped raise a fund to help pay the resultant fine and costs for the flattened camera. Therafter the same radio show always warned 'people if they did not want thie picture taken on xx Drive this morning, then we suggest you slow down - etc' - and it got away with it OK and saved many of us a speeding ticket.

Maybe some one in Queensland might try to get the same thing going inside the local sailing community to help fund these guys who don't sound like they can afford the fines awarded?

I'm sure with the right amount of noise, the local Australian Yachting Association could begin to move some political grunt to sort it out for the future.......

I'm all for protecting Australias fragile eco systems - so have no issues with arrivees having to have a clean bum on the boat or even ensuring any wooden craft are worm free - but to take an old cruising couple to court over this kind of reporting crap makes me ashamed to be an Ozzie.

Rant over.

JOHN
Old 01-02-2007, 14:03   #35

Yeesh!

EU countries are the ones I would most regret missing, but there are more than 150 countries in the world! I have more than enough places I'd like to stop, and some great passages I'd like to take without stopping.

There are places which have some elevated risks, but since I sail in relatively small boats I've never had trouble being mistaken for a rich US tourista; there's little point in trying to cheat money out of the guy in the little boat who has to count every penny, but the guy in the 15m gold plater will probably pay the 'fine' just to avoid the hassle (so would I if I could.) But the VAT could cost me my boat. The same is true if I ever stopped in NZ (would they ever think a 7.67 m boat is safe enough to leave?)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 14:36   #36

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Would love to see your full list Amgine
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 17:57   #37

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Mudnut.

Paragraph!

Yer posts are unreadable blocks of type.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 18:16   #38

I'll second that!
Old 01-02-2007, 21:37   #39

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Reply from Australian custom say's we can give them notice as long as it is more than 96 hours notice EG: 10 day's ok.

Or Is it less than 96 hour's notice

Dear Mr SMITH

I refer to your enquiry regarding provision of notification to AustralianCustoms of your impending arrival in Australia.

The Customs web-site can be found at www.customs.gov.au. If you select theoption travellers then yachts travelling to and departing from australia then let us know you're coming please look at the top of the page just belowthe heading .

Our pre-arrival reporting requirement states "The Master of a vessel arriving in Australia is required by law to give notice of impendingarrival not later than 96 hours before arrival. Penalties may apply forfailure to do so."

If you provide the requested information to us not later than 96 hours before arrival Australian Customs will accept that you have met pre-arrivalreporting requirements even if you send this information more than 10 daysprior to your estimated time of arrival in Australia.

I hope this advice is of assistance.

Keith Parker
Enforcement Operations
Australian Customs Service>
"Customs House 5 Constitution Avenue
Canberra ACT 2601
AUSTRALIA

Gotta love that Mr Smith bit.

But still sound's a bit contradictory to me.

Dave
Old 01-02-2007, 22:36   #40

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Entry Requirements

While this thread has focussed on the seemingly less than desirable imposts placed on the cruising sailor by Australian Customs, has anyone seen or compiled a listing of requirements for all countries??

Might this not be a valuable exercise to have a database of entry requirements for as many countries as possible.

Over to the forum.

Fair winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 00:38   #41

If they need 4 days to do something, and someone turns up unannounced, why not leave them in the quarantine anchorage on their boat for 4 days, do whatever nonsense it is they do, then let them in? No fines and no cost to the taxpayer (court hearings) no bad feelings, I don't mind hanging out on my boat for a few days, catch up on reading and maintenance.
Old 02-02-2007, 00:57   #42

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Because.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity
If they need 4 days to do something, and someone turns up unannounced, why not leave them in the quarantine anchorage on their boat for 4 days, do whatever nonsense it is they do, then let them in? No fines and no cost to the taxpayer (court hearings) no bad feelings, I don't mind hanging out on my boat for a few days, catch up on reading and maintenance.
The eco issues in Australia are not just land issues but aquatic also. From what I read part of these new rules is possibly to help prevent a boat entering in a fouled condition from another region - where perhaps some undersea grommets have attached themselves to hulls - looking for a lift into Oz waters.

Maybe not remembering species correctly but can recall maybe a 'crown of thorns' starfish appearing in Oz waters clearly off an arriving vessel - and within a few years it wiped out huge areas of coral growth. Equally recall a report of a wood chip freighter dumping ballast water from Japan in West Oz waters - and infesting Bunbury Harbour area with a worm that rapidly spread killing off local thingies in the process.

As I've said before - I've no issues in any country protecting its own waters from infestation - especially if those waters are as fragile as Australias. Just can get over the sad treatment by officials of those who inadvertantly made a mistake on newly introduced reporting procedures!!

Cheers
JOHN
Old 02-02-2007, 00:59   #43

Boat: now floating easy37
i personally think it sucks and see it as the last great frontier slowly being regulated and taxed into existence, big brother is alive and well the apocalypse is coming and 1984 is just around the corner, as for me im going to try and grab a piece of freedom before it dissapears
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:03   #44

Boat: now floating easy37
as for the underwater nasties, ban the container ships with their water ballast these are the real nasties and the impact a yacht has compared to one of these is microscopic, i believe nz had a container ship sponsored outbreak not to long ago
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:32   #45

Steve...Country requirements are listed in Cornells "World Cruising Handbook". Updated information is available from his web site "noonsite". Country information os also available from the CIA information site.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia