Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2011, 15:31   #1

Vashon island

Anyone out there visit Vashon island? Any recommendations on mooring? We would like to visit town and see the sights. From aerial view it looks like the main area of town is towards the south? Is there any overnight marinas? Possible public moorage with shore access?
Alm0d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 15:53   #2

Boat: C&C Mega 30
Re: Vashon island

The town and the sites? On Vashon Island?

You'll probably want to go to Quartermaster Harbor. I have no idea what resources are there from a marina or public dock standpoint, but there are docks there. This is on the South end of the island. It's actually between Vashon Island and the other island (to the East). I forget the name of the other Island, but if you come ashore these and meet any of the indigenous peoples, be careful when referring to is as Vashon, it has some other name that some are rather sensitive about (they are connected with a man made causeway). I'm sure if you're interested you can find a local to tell you more than you'll ever want to know easily enough.

The North end of the Island might be doable at anchor for a short stay, but it's really exposed to North winds and gets a lot of ferry traffic nearby. The only real beach is right at the ferry dock and I'm not sure how keen they are with people landing there (I'm sure actually using there dock will get them very upset). But the bus stop on the ferry dock is right there and easy to get a bus to "town".
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 16:38   #3

Boat: Irwin sloop
Re: Vashon island

The other island refered to is Maury Island where there is good moorage at Dockton which is a state park if memory serves and just a bit further in the bay is exellent anchoring with a mud bottom near a local marina and Quartermaster Yacht Club. One of the old CHEERS tv series cast members used to bring in a barge with fireworks on the Fourth to celebrate his wifes birthday, or so the rumor goes, but alas they have moved away. It is a pleasant place to spend time but it can get crowded on three day weekends and there isn't a lot to do ashore.
Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote