Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 21:31   #1

Boat: Tanzer 26
Vancouver > Sunshine Coast or Gulf Islands

Any tips on whether the Sunshine coast is a worthwhile cruising destination when you have about 8 days in August?

We recently acquired a 26' Tanzer, spent a winter fixing it up, and last summer we did alot of day cruises up Indian Arm, and one 3 day trip to Gambier. This year we want to do a longer trip to either Gulf Islands or Sunshine coast; however I'm concerned that there aren't enough anchorages along the Sunshine coast once we leave the Gibsons area.

Suggestions?
jcrozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 22:48   #2

Boat: S2 35c
You nailed it there are not many anchorages on the sunshine coast. The gulf islands offers a greater variety and the San Juans are right there as well. A Yearly parks permit for Washington is $ 3.50 a foot (26x3.50)for unlimited use of docks and mooring balls a great deal. Under 30 feet you don't have a cruising fee either. I just got one for my trip to south Puget Sound , well worth it. and Rum is half the price.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 21:35   #3

Well...

It's true the southern Sunshine Coast is short of anchorages, but from Welcome Pass north there's plenty! And Welcome Pass is about one day's sail from Gibson's Landing.

I just moved my boat out from Indian Arm, but my usual summer pattern was a day from Deep Cove to Gibsons, the next day from there to Smuggler's Cove, the third day to Lund or Gorge Harbor or some other destination in Desolation Sound, and my boat's a bit smaller than your Tanzer (Cape Dory 25D, 18' LWL.) But in between is Jervis Inlet, Lasqueti/Texada, the Sechelt Peninsula... There are plenty of places to go, things to do in a sailboat in that stretch of coast and miles of inlets and channels.

It all depends on what you're trying to do, and how far you want to get. If you're willing to put in the hours motoring or sailing every day you can reach a different and unique restaurant for each night you're out going either up the Sunshine Coast or over to the Gulf Islands/Vancouver Island. Or you might find a nice destination anchorage only a day or so away to drop the hook and spend 4-6 days reading books and decompressing (Bedwell Harbour, for example...) Visiting the marine parks and/or small villages in the Gulf Islands makes for a great (and flexible) itinerary. Or head to a city destination; Oak Bay by Victoria has a nice marina to spend days at with everything a tourist-oriented vacation spot can offer. An adventure sail up to Yuculta Rapids, maybe with a night or two on Dent Island at the resort there, but starting with a non-stop overnight passage past the Sunshine Coast and into Desolation Sound is perfectly doable if the weather is favourable.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 20:18   #4

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
Save the gulf islands for shorter time frames. Sunshine coast rocks!
Old 11-06-2009, 21:29   #5

Boat: Tanzer 26
thanks for the tips everyone. I think i need to consult some charts now
jcrozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 15:31   #6

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
I just returned from an 11 day circuit of Sunshine Coast, Desolation Sound,and Gulf Islands all in one.It can be done.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 15:42   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
We have 3 weeks in July for vacation and are planning to go to Barkley Sound.
We have been there before (in the early '90's) but having never been to The Sunshine Coast, this discussion makes me want to try it. Anybody want to convince us?

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 15:54   #8

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Sunshine Coast and Desolation get my vote.Quieter,cleaner,sandy beaches,and the Sunshine Coast "Sun Bubble"!Anchor here;Plumper Cove,Buccaneer Bay,or Smugglers Cove,Copeland Islands,Teakerne Arm,Squirrel Cove,Rebbeca Spit,Whaletown.There are many more!
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 16:03   #9

Boat: looking
When I was a kid/teenager, we used to sail from the RVYC(Jericho) to desolation, most summers. we'd stop overnight in Smugglers Cove. 8 days? Yes. If you haven't been to Desolation, yet, you should find it well worth the trip. As with the southern Gulf Islands, the only negative can be finding a place to park your boat. Enjoy!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 21:29   #10

I just got back from Desolation Sound. We were the only boat in Walsh Cove - very peaceful. We spent one night alone in Waiatt Bay while there were about five boats in the Octopus Islands. Lund seemed rather busy - the breakwaters were fully occupied.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 22:05   #11

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
My personal choice is to avoid Desolation sound in the summer, but outside of that time it is great. Smugglers has to be one of the best anchorages in the world, Savary and the Copelands are spectacular. Lasqueti is good, Jedediah is excellent, But the further north you go the better it gets in my opinion. Octopus Islands, the Broughtons and it just keeps on going....
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 08:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedaluscan View Post
My personal choice is to avoid Desolation sound in the summer, but outside of that time it is great. Smugglers has to be one of the best anchorages in the world, Savary and the Copelands are spectacular. Lasqueti is good, Jedediah is excellent, But the further north you go the better it gets in my opinion. Octopus Islands, the Broughtons and it just keeps on going....
I am going from Comox to Port Hardy and back in July. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I have been through the area, but rather fast. I have been to Octopus, Blind Channel, Lagoon Cove, Potts Lagoon and Telegraph Cove. The Broughtons are beckoning.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 10:05   #13

Boat: Seafarer "Bahama"36' Temetayo
Hello Everyone I am planning a trip from Seattle to Desolation Sound around the first of August. Due to time constraints I hope to break up the trip by first sailing my boat to Vancouver and leaving it at anchor while I return by train to Seattle for a week. Then I plan to drive back to Vancouver with my car and leave it there so it can be driven back to Seattle by my wife on the return trip. I know this sounds like a lot of fooling around but it seems like the only way we can reach Desolation Sound it the time we have available (2 weeks) and have enough time to enjoy the trip.
So does anyone have a suggestion on where I might leave my boat in Vancouver? The train station seems closest to the Stanley Park area.
brian ritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 12:43   #14

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
You can anchor in False Creek for up to two weeks for free by simply registering at Monks Grill in a box on the dock. It is pretty busy, and shallow with good holding. I always use an anchor light, and personally wouldn't leave my boat.
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 20:27   #15

Boat: Seafarer "Bahama"36' Temetayo
Sounds like False Creek is a better option for a short stay. Would you suggest a dock tie up or possibly another area reasonably close?
brian ritts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vancouver sunshine gulf