Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 09:06   #16

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Vancouver Island; inside or outside?

Looks like the outside it is. Thanks to all for the great suggestions, keep 'em coming!
Pelagic, thanks for the info on Haida Gwai. On Google Earth, Skidgate Channel looks like a bit of a squeeze, but doable. The Pacific High will likely dictate where we make landfall and if it's further north so be it. I harbor a dark desire to see Glacier Bay, but don't tell my wife.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 11:27   #17

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Looks like the outside it is. Thanks to all for the great suggestions, keep 'em coming!
Pelagic, thanks for the info on Haida Gwai. On Google Earth, Skidgate Channel looks like a bit of a squeeze, but doable. The Pacific High will likely dictate where we make landfall and if it's further north so be it. I harbor a dark desire to see Glacier Bay, but don't tell my wife.
Gwaii Hanas park in Haida Gwaii is magical! The Haida villages are especially cool. Unfortunately, the hot springs shut off in the recent earthquake.
Old 24-12-2012, 08:58   #18

Boat: 29'
Re: Vancouver Island; Inside or Outside?

......but if on the other hand, you like tooling through the tallest, snowy mountains, they are on the mainland channels.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 09:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
......but if on the other hand, you like tooling through the tallest, snowy mountains, they are on the mainland channels.
Yes, I'm still voting for the inside. The OP has plenty of time to work with currents. Princess Louisa Inlet.

He could easily nip around the corner to Barkley Sound and Hot Springs Cove after coming down the inside.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 10:10   #20

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

I'm voting inside as well, the scenery in unreal, and the many mainland fjords are worth it.

Don't let a little current stop you.
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 10:26   #21

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I don't know but have been told that there are a few places toward the southern end of the inside of Vancouver Island that have their own micro-climates that tend to be drier and less rainy than the overall average for the area -- maybe a local or a good cruising guide could advise on this.
Old 24-12-2012, 10:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
I don't know but have been told that there are a few places toward the southern end of the inside of Vancouver Island that have their own micro-climates that tend to be drier and less rainy than the overall average for the area -- maybe a local or a good cruising guide could advise on this.
All depends on time of year. In winter (October through June, actually), the rainfall in this area is extreme. The west coast of the Vancouver Island will be seeing intense, torential downpours and frequent (every 36-48 hours) low pressure systems.

On the inside during this period there are many rain shadows that cut preciptation way back, especially in the souther gulf islands.

Luckily, none of this should be relevant to the OP, as during the summer months there is very little rain. The North Pacific High sets up off the coast and it is quite common to have no rainfall at all for over a month.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 11:59   #23

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Outside is a great destination for us PNW'ers. However, if you're just coming from an ocean crossing, odds are you'll be wanting fresh supplies, showers, and just being 'around' other folks. If that's so, the inside will be a pleasant respite and change up from the ocean crossing. If people and supplies aren't of interest, then outside works quite well. Each choice has it's own attractions and are great options. Ultimately, you don't want to miss either one. Keep 'em on your Top 100 places to cruise Bucket List in any event.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 20:04   #24

What did you plan on clearing customs and immigration? There is not much on the west side?

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...5-e.html#d1635

BTW - I have been around the island over a dozen times. Both sides are great.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 20:43   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Vancouver Island; inside or outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Definitively the outside. I find the inside of Vancouver Island dark and muddy, with too many pieces of rotting wood in it.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

Just to make sure, are you heading for the top of Van Isle because you want to, or because you think you will need to? In late summer coming over the top of the Pacific High you can usually make landfall at the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 14:36   #26

Boat: Currently boatless

Another vote for outside and if I had 4 weeks and wanted to choose fewer places and longer stays I would prioritize the Bunsby Islands, Hot Springs Cove, and a few stops in Barkley Sound.

Kayaking around Big Bunsby Island ~ SV Estrellita 5.10b
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote