Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 15:15   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26D
Vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico December 2016: help with getting in some sailing

I'll be vacationing in Puerto Vallarta in December and would like some help or advice. I'd like to rent a sailboat for a day or two and do some sailing. One possible trip would be out to Marietas and back. There will be up to four of us. One person may bring scuba gear, the rest will just sight see and snorkel.

I'm having problems finding a bareboat to charter. It seems all I can find are hourly charters with captain and crew.

Questions:
Does anyone know of any place to bareboat charter? Would you recommend them or is there some way I can find out how well they maintain their boats?

Will anyone be there in December and want some company for a couple of day trips or even an overnight?

Is it reasonable to do a sailing day trip out to Marietas Island and back? Would you get to spend anytime near the island or just say you were there and head back?

Is there a predominant weather pattern for PV this time of year?

Any other experience or guidance to web sites appreciated.

About me:
I have my own 26' sailboat and am logging days to eventually get my six pack. I often solo the boat and overnight on it. Mostly lake sailing. I have ASA 101, 103, and 104 certifications.

No smokers in the group. Not picky eaters and we all enjoy a good beer or wine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
williamtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 16:28   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico December 2016: help with getting in some sai

You might think about hiring a boat to take you around. You could have some guy and a boat at your disposal the whole time you are there for little money. Ripping across a bay at 40 knots in an open boat is pretty fun too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 03:38   #3

Vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico December 2016: help with getting in some...

Wanted to give this a bump. I appreciate and like Guy's suggestion but am looking for more specifics like a url, name, etc.
Old 20-08-2016, 13:43   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico December 2016: help with getting in some sai

december is high season, aka PERFECT weather.
is always possible to callout on morning vhf net for sailing as crew.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 15:06   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico December 2016: help with getting in some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtl View Post
Wanted to give this a bump. I appreciate and like Guy's suggestion but am looking for more specifics like a url, name, etc.
I seriously doubt guy's with a panga for hire have a url. Downtown near the old marina, are all kinds of boats for hire. It's a matter of going down to the docks and asking around. All the hotels probably know how get a boat for you too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 16:06   #6

Thanks Guy, now I get it. Will have to look up what a panga is 😀

Hi Zee! Any chance you'll be around? Would love to meet you and see the boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
Mexico, puerto vallarta, sail, sailing, vacation