Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2011, 22:10   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
The Cyclades looks to be a bigger boat for the same LOA.
There is a Cyclades 393 moored near me. At first i thought the Cyclades was a spec'ed down Oceanis 393 but then i noticed it has a twin helm.
Old 30-08-2011, 01:04   #107

Re: USA to Australia in One Year Starting February 2012

Yeah, gotta say I love twin helm boats - my Dufour 43 was twin helm. It really is nice to have the choice to helm sitting on the high rail if you want to be extra attentive to wind shifts closed hauled or the other way around, relax and cruise helming on the low side where it's much easier to stand comfortably braced at the wheel. It can also help manoevering in tight marinas under power....

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 01:21   #108
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Girl View Post
Yeah, gotta say I love twin helm boats - my Dufour 43 was twin helm. It really is nice to have the choice to helm sitting on the high rail if you want to be extra attentive to wind shifts closed hauled or the other way around, relax and cruise helming on the low side where it's much easier to stand comfortably braced at the wheel. It can also help manoevering in tight marinas under power....
Gives more options to be in the shade and offers some redundancy too. It certainly is spec'ed down over an Oceanis in most ways other than the twin helms as far as I can see. It doesn't even come with a traveler or vang. Which is a pretty bad combination of things to not have. I think I would at least fit a vang.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 09:49   #109

There is probably not much redundancy with the twin helm as (at least on my so40) the helms share the same cable to the rudder.

I think it looks cool but on the practical side i can sit on the rail an steer without stretching an when moored med style i have easy access. The downside is that i had to fit a second set of ST60's and may add a second ST6002 autohelm controller.

Have you thought about the kitchen layout? Many charter boats seem to have the galley along the side which seems to be less preferable when making long passages an cooking at sea.
Old 30-08-2011, 17:06   #110
cruiser

Why did you have to fit 2 sets of autopilots? Wont one work? One cable on 2 wheels seems to be another way to save a small amount of money to loose out on a lot safety. Yes the galley on most charter boats is not good. That's another compromise the designers chose as 99.99% of journeys their boats wont require cooking under way in lumpy conditions.
Old 30-08-2011, 17:25   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail
Why did you have to fit 2 sets of autopilots? Wont one work?
Have not done it yet, but i am only talking about duplicating the controller unit an not the course computer or steering unit. It's just a matter of convinience (lasyness) to be able to turn on/off or adjust the AP from the port helm. I like sitting at the helm even when not touching the wheel.
Old 30-08-2011, 17:54   #112

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Have not done it yet, but i am only talking about duplicating the controller unit an not the course computer or steering unit. It's just a matter of convinience (lasyness) to be able to turn on/off or adjust the AP from the port helm. I like sitting at the helm even when not touching the wheel.
How about a remote controller? Usually much cheaper than a whole additional display/control unit, and little if any wiring required. And you can use it from other places than the alternate helm as well.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-08-2011, 18:12   #113

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

I was just looking at a 40' Jennie with two helms... I thought it was excessive and could be a waste of entertainment/hang-out space - but it's nice to read about some other's thoughts... now I think it's a great idea.
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 18:53   #114

Well the other good thing about twin helms, if you like the cockpit space idea, is that they actually open the cockpit up - uninterrupted through access from companionway to transom; no big central wheel, binnacle or instrument pod in the way.
When living aboard and cruising, we found this to be really practical. loading/unloading the tender at the transom, for the kids to play at anchor jumping off and swimming, etc.

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 19:21   #115

Boat: Able 50

It means that the bimini might be fairly large, unless the skipper wants a tan.

Is a big wide bimini good or bad ? Not sure.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 20:53   #116
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post

Depends which way you look at it. With twin helms there will almost always be one which is in the shade provided you are OK with steering from the low side. EG If you are sailing in a N direction with a E - NE wind in the morning chances are you will be in the sun with a single helm unless the bimini is massive. This certainly applies the more narrow ended yachts I have been in anyway where the Bimini is small. Most of the time you will be in the sun. I'm sure this effect is lessened with modern production boats with a massive ass end and therefore bimini.
Old 30-08-2011, 22:33   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia
I was just looking at a 40' Jennie with two helms... I thought it was excessive and could be a waste of entertainment/hang-out space - but it's nice to read about some other's thoughts... now I think it's a great idea.
The space behind the single helm is lost anyway. If you have a fold up chair you can always place it between the helms so one more can sit at the table

With the twim there is no squeezing between the seeat an the wheel or climbing on the seat to get to the helm and i can sit exactly where i want to be.

The only down side i have found is that you lose the length in the seat so you cannot lay down sraight and during berthing manouvours you have to stay to starboard when throttle control is required but so far these are just minor inconviniences
Old 30-08-2011, 22:36   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir

On all of the boats i looked at the bimini was a wide as the stern regardless on the number of helms.
Old 31-08-2011, 20:42   #119

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
A Hunter for the Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Nikki is not a fan of Beneteau. Looks nice though. But does not have much cruising gear if any. Most of those production yachts just out of charter will having rigging over 10 years old necessitating all new rigging. How much will that cost for 40FT boat in the US?
Hate to say, but for the popular production boats Beneteau seem to have one of the better reputations.

I was looking at May 2011 Cruising World magazine last night and there were heaps of good late model 45-46’ Beneteaus and Hunters going for around 150k US. A bit of bargaining and they might be in your price range. These included some real nice 2008 model 46’ Hunter deck salons that would have a very attractive resale value over here. Some of them were ex-charter in the Virgin Islands.

I know you (Dennis) are not keen on the Hunters at the moment, nonetheless, I am wondering if anyone could fill us in on their reputation? From what I can gather they are a decently built US production boat with a good report in Australia?
Old 31-08-2011, 20:55   #120

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
On all of the boats i looked at the bimini was a wide as the stern regardless on the number of helms.
Which means that if you have two helms your bimini will create enormous windage.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, australia