Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2006, 11:31   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
update on Mico's first 10k

Greetings -- I learned of this board from Pat and Ali (SY Bumfuzzle).

My wife and I are also on the younger side of the cruiser demo (both 31) and have just completed our first 10,000 miles. We started off in Seattle, spent a season in Mexico and then sailed across the mighty Pacific to Fiji.

You can read about the ups and downs here:

www.micoverde.com
micoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 11:50   #2

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Don't worry....

Not to worry, you'll soon enough be on the other side of the demographics.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 12:40   #3

yup

no kidding...my only regret so far is that I didn't start it five years ago.

one of the most surprising and disappointing things for us has been how extremely rare it is to meet anyone even in their 30's (forget about 20's).

That being said one of the most prolific and successful sailors I met this past season is my friend Capt Quinn from SY Tequila who was only 26 at the time (basically singlehanding a 53' Bruce Roberts ketch from Cabo to Syndney).

am I part of a generation of wimps? too much tv? I attribute the fact that mostly older, established couples are cruising to the bs being sold by magazines. people think you need a $150k yacht (more like $500k in many cases) with a $100k kitty and a "five-year-plan." </rant>
Old 13-02-2006, 13:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Stephanie & Warren:
Great to have you aboard !
Now that we've found you (& you, we) - we all look forward to following your continuing adventures, and your input here.

I think CHILDREN could account for the relative paucity of "younger" cruisers. In so many ways, cruising (particularily the long-distance flavour) is really a young person's game.
It's a shame most people put it off 'till their "older".

Regards,
Gord "the elder"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 18:50   #5

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I think there are plenty of young spirits out there doing it. You have been in some long waters, so I am not surprised you have not met as many in their 30's. I suggest you head for the Caribe and south next. Plenty of your generation on boats there.
You must be in shock returning to the States. I have not been offshore cruising for years, although it is coming around again soon, but the reentry into "civilization" was always tough. People were so focused on their small problems and opinions. What I like best about cruising, even if near shore in a H-R , is the perspective you gain on life's priorities. People waste their time over things that just don't matter. I hope you can maintain your perspective until you can escape again. Welcome !

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 05:07   #6

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Warren, thanks for the post and the link (which is nicely done).

For those of us in the Other Ocean and who haven't made it to your side yet, how about sharing your thoughts on charts & guides for the Pacific run. While there's a ton of stuff one can get, I'd welcome hearing what you found you actually *needed* - both for safe pilotage and to help create an understanding for where you've been so far.

E.g. WRT charts, I wonder how essential Charlie's Charts are for steep-to island groups like the Marquesas (vs. copies of a few NIMA charts), yet I wonder if anything is good enough for the Tuamotus. The Pacific is so large, are any of the guides more than synopses - as opposed e.g. to our last season in the Spanish Rias, where the guide talked about every town, anchorage & lace maker. Meanwhile, we enjoy learning about the 'big picture' from Lonely Planet Guides (for us, more satisfying than Fodor's, Rough, et al.) but wonder if the Moon pubs are better for your neck of the woods.

Lots to ponder and, of course, a budget to honor...so hearing a bit about what you'd put in the 'essential pubs & charts' category would be very helpful, indeed.

Jack
P.S. Hey, did you two use a worm hole for Stephanie to end up sailing out of Bilbao? (Neat place!)
Old 10-03-2006, 11:46   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
You can settle the big debate!!

Hey Warren and Stephanie! I have been reading your journals and have even emailed you as we will be at Vuda Point in June. There is a thread debating whether Pat and Ali are rich, spoilt Americans making us all look bad or not. You have met them. What is your impression. I have gotten a kick out of their website and reading the reactions on this one! Personally, I wouldn't eat at McDonalds on a cruise or here but I think they are all jealous. I will take your email with me and give you an update on Mico Verde in Vuda! Love reading your pages!
Old 10-03-2006, 14:26   #8

Vuda

Thanks for keeping on eye on Mico -- we need all the help we can get. We hired Pacific Marine to look after her but Geoff, the yard mgr from NZ, is off to greener pastures in Vanuatu next week.

Actually, we've not met Pat and Ali yet personally just via emails. All I can say is that we have the utmost respect for anyone who's from Minnesota and drops everything to sail across oceans. No one can call 'em rookies at this point -- they've made 20,000 blue water miles and every single one of 'em was hard earned.

Hope to meet you in Fiji, --Warren
Old 12-03-2006, 06:58   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
timing

When will you and Stephanie be back at Vuda? We will be there June 10th for a week or more. Ususally we are not able to be excact on dates because the plan changes based on conditions, company, etc but we have family flying in that week staying at First Landings. Parents are celebrating their 50th, uncle and aunt their 40th and two birthdays and our wedding! Finally! Elie's parents were pretty sure he would never be domesticated. Truth being he still won't be