Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 22:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 36.7
Update on Ecuador ?

Ecuador appears to be a beautiful destination but some older posts detail horror stories of bureaucratic corruption. I'd love to hear from folk who have sailed there recently (and some that have moved there too). What has your experience been? Would you go back? Salinas area have a decent marina?
Thanks all!
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 00:56   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Update on Ecuador?

We were there in February 2010 with the World ARC. We loved our time inland in Ecuador but the marina at Salinas was the worst of the entire trip. Poor condition floating docks and lots and lots of oil in the water (it bubbles up through the sea bed).

Formalities were organised for us by WARC but it still required a lot of time and 5 - yes 5 - officials came and sat in our cockpit while all the paperwork was done.

As I said at the start we really enjoyed going inland in Ecuador but the conditions in the marina have made WARC drop this stop from their next round-the-world itinerary.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 03:49   #3

Re: Update on Ecuador?

Hi:
I was there 2009 (Manta). Pretty much effortless in and out. I hired a ship's agency to handle everything for me ($200?) called Blue Water and they did good job. There is a 'marina' there but it is basically a commercial harbour, with a lot of tuna boats based out of there. You must go there if you want a proper Panama hat. All the best ones are made there in Montecristi, a few Km out of Manta. Yacht club, fuel in jerry cans, poor docks. Not a place to spend a lot of time. I guess everyone has different experience. I speak some Spanish and was by myself. Maybe they took pity on me.
Pete
ps. Pics on blog at www.peterpowell.ca
rigormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 08:26   #4

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Update on Ecuador ?

Most people who are leaving Panama for Ecuador are going to Puerto Amistad at Bahia de Caraquez. Their blogs seem to be positive. Here's one Turtle Mail: Day 11: Bahia de Caraquez

Tags
Ecuador, ecuador