After 970 kt miles of 2 to 6 ft of westerly swells and northern winds we finally make it to SF.
We left on the morning of Sept 1 st and did pretty good on keeping it together . Lost
a piece of rigging
for the lazy jacks, a deck
light, drowned the RAM mic from the VHF
, wore a hole in the Bimini
and blow out the flag on the MOB
pole from the 45 kt winds we hit off the southern coast of Oregon
. Oh, and I lost
the screw out of my glasses twice, which I didn't find the second time. We pulled into Crescent City (The City of flies) for some R&R and reorganize, then to find a low building even more off the coast.
We call it the City of flies b/c the first afternoon some kelp flies showed up for a BBQ and went away at dusk. The next morning they called in the whole family
before we could pull out. We must have killed 100 flies between Crescent City and SF. They wouldn't leave the boat. We must have been the fresh meat in town.
Next morning we snuck out in the fog
to out run the low, which was heading north. We made a good decision. We hugged the coast until Cape Mendocino and the headed out around the point. Sailed on a reefed Genny thru the night to half way between Cape Men
. and Pt. Arena then hit dead air, so motored a while and thru the night.
The next morning the wind
picked up. So we hoisted the sails
and started the last leg for SF it was about 4 hours away by calculations. But as time passed the wind
begin to build. After two hours were were in 26 kt winds and hauling ass on a close reach. So, we reached the entrence buoys we turned before the wind and headed for the Gate. And just as we passed under the gate we came head
with the Oricale which was starting its turn to head back SE. We rolled up the Genny and sailed by the main alone since it was straight down wind, then sailed under the Bay bridge and on into Alameda. And here she sits.
The boat and equipment
did really well except the Garmin
6208 plotter. The thing wouldn't boot up after we left C. City. Just lines down the screen
. Stared up the new Spectra 150 water
maker, and was able to maintain power between motor
runs due to lack of wind, mostly mornings.
kept us out of trouble running out the Sound at night. Twice we got bumped by our CPA. The big boys don't want us heading in their direction. But I also discovered the AIS
can be out of sync too. I had one boat call me and said he was going to cross my path head on. When I check my readings he's was 30 miles behind me pulling into Pt. Angeles.
Checking back on the weather
, It seems we got out of Seattle
just in time. After we left a rain storm hit the Puget Sound
area and flood warnings were in effect. At that time we had just pulled into Crescent City and caught the weather
thing is we left two other boats in Neah Bay who were going to leave south the day after us. They had been waiting out the weather. I wonder what they decided to do? And I hear its still raining with thunder and lighting
. Not something I would want to be in while out in the open Pacific! Fortunately, it only took 10 days via Roche Harbor, Neah Bay and Crescent City. That,s an average of 97 kt miles per day. A good run I would say.
Well, That's it. I fly home tomorrow, 9/17/13, after putting the boat in a floating storage
state. IAW stow away loose gear
and flush out the saltwater systems, pickle the water
makers is some minor repairs
I,ll be back,