Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 04:01   #46

Re: Typhoon forming off Yap, Phl Coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The updated multi agency tracks across the Philippines keeps changing which indicates that there are a number of thermal influences they haven't quite settled on.

#10 had it passing close to Corregidor

Now #11 back to Verde Pass and Puerto GaleraAttachment 138466
Attachment 138467
Yeah, also interesting is that it actually made landfall at close to 14 degrees N. That's pretty far north for and end of December typhoon.

According to Namria's Philippine passage notes, the normal route W for Dec typhoons that don't re-curve is at 10 degrees latitude, and that is close to where Yolanda (Nov, Giuian, 11.06N) and others hit in late season.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 05:26   #47

Very Sad Re: Typhoon forming off Yap, Phl Coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
It kooks like one of the Ro-Ro ferries sheltering in Puerto Galera left a bit early to head back to Batangas

The seas their can get enormous and square when against strong currents
Sank with possibly 19 crew dead

https://gcaptain.com/18-missing-afte...hoon-nock-ten/
Yeah, we got battered pretty bad coming across in GOOD weather last January.

I've spent more than a decade surfing these typhoons and living in concrete houses with good concrete roofs. I used to feel guilty that we would go out as typhoons emerged on the horizon, surf magnificent waves, then hide in our cubby holes as the worst of the storms blew over, reading in the papers the next day or so that so many unfortunate people, living in less than ideal situations, did not make it through the storm.

On that note, I have a couple of photos of Guinabataan Albay, after the last big storm blew through - don't remember the name, but it was the one that covered the entire area in lahar from Mt Mayon. Will post them to show how incredible the power and destruction of that storm was. No doubt that is why so many fled to shelters this time around (as noted in the article posted by Gord).

Many years ago, I survived a hurricane knock down off Bermuda crewing on a 40' mono hull, and, years later, working with the Navy, I survived a major typhoon suffering 30 degree rolls on a flat bottomed "gator-freighter" - a ship vaguely similar to this ro-ro that went down off PG. The gun turrents on the 2nd deck of our Marine Corps Transport were designed to pop off at 45 degrees, in order to keep the ship from rolling over.

On another occasion, working as an Ordinary Seaman transporting jet fuel on a coastal tanker, I was called back from my lookout position on the bow because we were about to bury it in 20 foot seas. Luckily, I scurried back before the big swells started coming in, big grins all around.

Call it "blissful ignorance", but never did I feel all that threatened in those situations. On the other hand, as a newbie boat owner, I now have the kind of responsibility that I never had to suffer in those days as a young man.

I now have the responsibility for not only my boat, but for all aboard, and that makes a world of difference. I now feel some of the vulnerability that the less fortunate people of this nation must have felt over the years, constantly having to confront these raging storms. Perhaps this is "karma" of some sort or some sort of lesson that I need to learn.

In any case, it sure helps to hear from folks who have a lot more experience dealing with such phenomena from a skipper's point of view, and I certainly appreciate the input of everyone who has contributed their knowledge, experience and expertise to this thread.

A hearty thanks to all,

G2L
Old 28-12-2016, 05:27   #48

Boat: Hans Christian, 41T, 41'

Not sure whether this adds anything to the discussion, but I had my boat on the hard for a new bottom paint in Papaya Cove, which is close to Nasugbu at the west cost of southern Luzon which was projected to be in the path of this typhoon . I went there on the 26th to check everything, but when I arrived the weather was pleasant and calm. The only damage I could see was the torn up courtesy flag of the Philippines which I promptly replaced. Today I sailed up to Subic in near perfect sailing conditions. I made it on only 9 hours.
Old 28-12-2016, 05:40   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingonoka View Post
Not sure whether this adds anything to the discussion, but I had my boat on the hard for a new bottom paint in Papaya Cove, which is close to Nasugbu at the west cost of southern Luzon which was projected to be in the path of this typhoon . I went there on the 26th to check everything, but when I arrived the weather was pleasant and calm. The only damage I could see was the torn up courtesy flag of the Philippines which I promptly replaced. Today I sailed up to Subic in near perfect sailing conditions. I made it on only 9 hours.
God bless ya : )

You were lucky; you had some significant terrain between you and the eye, tucked into the west side of Luzon as you were. Also, (I would have to recheck the path) but I am pretty sure that the storm had weakened significantly by that time. The worst effect of the storm was, as usual, on the Pacific coast, or close by, in Albay and Quezon provinces.

G2L