Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2009, 07:38   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Turtle Bay Schools

Hi Everyone:
I am wondering if anyone has any contact info for people in Turtle Bay. I will be joining the Baja Ha Ha this year with my children. I would like to start a collection of school supplies at my children's school for the children of schools in Turtle Bay. Rather than just bring whatever random things we collect I was hoping to guide the collection towards what the schools actually need. In order to do that I wanted to email with the teachers at the school in San Bartolme. If anyone has a contact that would be great help for me on this project. Any contact in San Bartolme would be great b/c the town is small enough that I am sure I could that with anyone's email that lives in Turtle Bay I could get contact with the teachers in short order.

Charlie

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 07:43   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Charlie, if you don't have any luck here, contact Richard Spindler at Latitude 38. They've been running the Baja Ha-Ha for sixteen years, now, and cruising Mexico for probably 30. If anyone knows how to contact the school in Turtle Bay, it will be Richard.

TaoJones
Old 19-08-2009, 07:52   #3

Thanks Tao:

I was in the process of sending him an email when you replied. Great idea. great minds think a like lol

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 19-08-2009, 09:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
That's great of you to do such a thing Charlie.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:32   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
GOOD on you Charlie. The community is a real nice place, and any help is appreciated. I know next time I go I will be taking school supplies. Last time I took t-shirts, sweater, jackets with S.F. Ca. on them. I gifted them to kind locals along the way........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 17:35   #6

just wanted to get this out there again to see if anyone had any contacts.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 19-08-2009, 22:19   #7

turtle bay school

Hi, we will find a contact for you. FYI we have a charitable effort named YachtAid Global www.yachtaidglobal.org and know some good people in Baja that should be able to help. Stay tuned .
mark
mdrewelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 05:43   #8

Thanks Mark!! I checked out your site looks interesting. It is the exact thing that I was looking at doing myself. The idea of bringing education to impoverished people really appeals to me.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 23-08-2009, 16:40   #9

Boat: Irwin 37 Ketch
Baja HA HA school donations

We made everlasting friends with a couple that live and have a business in Bahia Tortugas last year. I sent them a copy of what this year’s Baja HA-HA participants would like to do and got back this reply (heavily edited of personal stuff).
From Russ:
Now let's talk about coordinating the people who would like to donate supplies for the schools in Turtle Bay: That is a great gift that you can bring to BT! The FUBAR Odyssey brought lots of much needed supplies when they visited two years ago. We went to the principals of all the Kindergartens and Elementary schools and asked them what it that they needed is. We will do that for you all, very soon for this years HA-HA. We will talk with the Mayor's wife who is in charge of matters such as this, and enlist her aid in helping to receive the donations. It would be wise on your end to have a volunteer who speaks fluent Spanish to help you as the Mayor's wife does not speak English. She is a very cooperative lady as is always willing to help with projects that benefit the community. We will see if she can arrange to have a panga at your disposal to gather the donations from the boats (!). Then the donations can be brought to the beach and loaded into a vehicle. Then she can separate the donations into groups so that she can take them to the appropriate school. We have two elementary schools and two kindergartens.

So I will respond to Russ asking what the FUBAR gave, if there is anything that was missed last year and what is needed this year.
It anyone else thinks of something I missed let me know.
Hollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 18:49   #10

Hi Hollen I would love to gather school supplies to help out the SB kids. I speaak very broken Spannish. I understand well but don't speak as well. What is FUBAR? I am also trying to do a cultural exchange with the schools so I am hoping to bring my laptop down with a camera and do an internet talk with the schools in SB. If you could PM me the email address for your friends I would appreciate it.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 26-09-2009, 15:04   #11

Hey, I was also wondering about charity events in Mexico, I have been having problems finding more than one or two sites on cruisers volunteering in Mexico. I was thinking of coordinating some events myself in the sailing community once I get down to Mexico (at the end of October with the Ha-Ha), what are peoples thoughts on that? I am not sure how difficult it would be to find volunteers, and I am not down there yet, but I would be interested in organizing events if I could find volunteers, and from what it looks like there are people like myself interested in this type of work
seastrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 08:38   #12

Turtle Bay schools

Everyone heading south with the Baja HA-HA and those wanting to help out the schools in Turtle Bay: We began a quest to help out, knowing a couple that lives there, about two months ago. They have just sent me a long list of needed items and I am trying to get Richard and Andy (of Latitude 38 mag)to post it on the official Baja HA-HA web site because it is not only a long list but also a very detailed one as well.
The short story is yes many things are needed and we will be working with the Mayors wife to get whatever you would like to give, distributed to the right school. More info to follow next week.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45   #13

Bahia Tortugas School Donations

A lot of southbound boats, headed for cruising in Mexico this winter, have asked for ways to donate needed items to the children’s schools in Baja. We have friends that live and have a small business in Bahia Tortugas and we contacted them about giving back. They responded with the a long list of needed items.
Please go to my Blog and print out the list.
We hope if you’re heading south this winter you can help out.
Bahia Tortugas, Baja California, School Donations | SVAndalucia