Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2011, 05:20   #31

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38
Send a message via MSN to cool2848
Re: Trucking to California, Sailing to Hawaii and More . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
On a cruise at the end of January 2003, we rescued three sailers making a delivery on their way from California to Hawaii.

WOW!

You make me think!!!
Thanks for the picture.
cool2848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 05:21   #32

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The boat was well over 40 feet long. Pretty big, in the marina.
Hahahahahaha.
Still pretty small in that very big Ocean,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 05:37   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I had a drogue on board, but didnt use it. I found locking the motor down in neutral and using that as a drogue kept me in a straight line along with the windward centre board fully down and about a third of the Genoa up.

The Genoa has a tendency to flick the boat sideways and beam on to the waves, In big waves, that is definately scary ****,

Mines a Cat, so will be different to yours,

The storms I encountered, I just ran before them, Till the storm ran out of puff,

And I just single handed my boat from Fiji to Bundaberg in Qld Australia, 1600 nautical miles, But closer to 3000 nautical miles because of the wind direction,

21 days at sea, and the wind did not go where I wanted it to go. Wind, Northwest,
Me, Southwest.

Watch a few video's on sailing in rough weather, I did, very beneficial when your out there, You can see what they did in very bad weather and huge waves.

Any one can sail in a millpond,

I still cant sail for ****.

Dear Mr. B:

I do not think my boat can run ahead of a storm: too slow.

In the Summer of 2010, I cruised from Brisbane to Whitsunday Islands with the current crew on our friend's catamaran, 48 Catana named Duchess-2.
It was a very nice experience for me.
And we anchored in front of Budaberg harbor one night on our way north.

Thanks for a good advice, I will definitely watch some videos of rough weather sailing.
Old 13-12-2011, 05:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post

Nice boat-I see why you are in love.

Where there is a will -there's a way.

I think you need to find that special person who doesn't have a boat but wants to travel the route you have.

How do you find that person ?

They are out there.
O.K.
I will think about that person even though past experience biases me to work out a solution with the current members/known variables.
But, you were saying i "NEED to find..."...
I will think about that.

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 13-12-2011, 06:20   #35

Truck it to a SD boat yard; there's a couple I know of that are pretty good with good rates. If you don't want to sail you could ship on a freighter or get a crew to do it for you. For the MD to CA trip give Joule Yacht transport a call or on the web. I have nothing but good to say about them. Did the opposite trip earlier this year.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 06:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Truck it to a SD boat yard; there's a couple I know of that are pretty good with good rates. If you don't want to sail you could ship on a freighter or get a crew to do it for you. For the MD to CA trip give Joule Yacht transport a call or on the web. I have nothing but good to say about them. Did the opposite trip earlier this year.
Joule Yacht Transport was one of the trucking companies I contacted to get quotes. I decided on Lewis Specialized Trucking(Transportation) to deliver my boat.

Thanks for the info.
Old 14-12-2011, 07:45   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool2848 View Post
Hello!

It has been almost a year since I wrote and visited this forum regularly.
I bought an Allajuela38 in Connecticut in Sept. of 2010, and prepared the boat for a year of cruising towards Korea, and left around the end of Nov. only to stop disappointed, tired and cold in Annapolisafter a week and to put the boat on sale.

Well, I came back to Korea and now on my job of teaching Computer Science in Seoul.
My boat has not sold yet, and I am well rested and comfortable, and dream of sailing her again.
Hopefully I can do better this time.

My purpose is to bring the boat to Korea eventuallly and to experience more cruising within my current schedule of job situation.
I was thinking of three options initially: (1) Parttime cruising down to Florida followed by Panama canal and South Pacific like my original plan; (2) Cruising to Florida and then put the boat on a yacht carrier to Japan followed by sailing to Korea; (3) Trucking the boat to California and sail to Hawaii followed by Guam and Korea.

I have Winter vacation from the end of Dec. to Feb. 28 and Summer one from middle of June to Aug. 31.

Option (2) is easiest but expensive.
Option (1) is lot of time and commitment for a part time cruiser from far away place with regular job.
I like the option (3) because it offer both not expensive total cost towards Korea as well as overall quick delivery chance to Korea.
I have at leastone friend who can cruise this Winter with me regardless of the option who I cruised together in Korea and in Australia.

Questions:
(1) What would be the trucking cost and time from a marina (now the boat is on hard) in Annapolis to California like a marina in San Diego?
Is there something that I have to be thinking of in this long trucking situation?

(2) What would be an ideal place to start in Pacific West coast for a January sailing out towards Hawaii?
I am thinking of San Diego, California because I had a bad experience with cold sea waters last year in Northeast coast.

(3) I have to further fix and install the boat such as bimini, autopilot among others.
Which of Annnapolis or San Diego is the better place to fix/install the boat?
I do not have any friends in either place.
Annapolis appears to be full of small shops for sailing boat.

I am thinking of preparing from the end of Dec., then start out sailing during middle or end of Jan next year towards Hawaii and stop there or continue to Marshall Islands until the end of Feb when my Winter vacation ends.
And pick up the sailing in middle or end of June until the end of August towards Korea via probably Okinawa, Japan.

I know three locals who sailed from the Pacific West coast of USA to Korea, two of them personally.
Two of them single handed, and the third on who I do not know but used my previous sailing yacht with others to corss the ocean.
I believe the two periods you are talking about are off-season for the north pacific. The first period is still winter and you are likely to get beat up like happened in Annapolis. Starting from San Diego it would only be somewhat cold, but it can still get pretty rough.

The second time period is edging into Hurricane/typhoon season. I will check Jimmy Cornell when I get home from work.

The original problem you had on the east coast was proceeding off-season. Do you really want to repeat that experience?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:46   #38

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Hahahahahaha.
Still pretty small in that very big Ocean,
Even supertankers are still pretty small on the very big ocean.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 08:31   #39

Boat: CS 40

We sailed from Mazatlan, Mexico to Hawaii, Guam and Okinawa in February-June of 2010. I did most of the prep in Mazatlan although we sourced the equipment from the US mail ordered to Tucson. The Sea of Cortez is a great place to learn the ropes and has reasonable labor costs for bottom painting or engine work. If you're a DIY, then having access to US marine mail order is an advantage in California.

For me the minimum safety gear for off shore was self steering, storm sail, liferaft, drogue, sat phone and e-mail for weather grib files. We had AIS after we left Hawaii and I would add that to the list especially if short handed. We also added a third reef in Hawaii which made me feel better.

I can't emphasize self steering enough. Keeps the crew rested and did amazingly well in 20 ft following seas and 30-40 kts.

One concern I have is your plan to pick up sailing in the middle or end of June towards Korea via Okinawa. This would take you through "typhoon alley" at the worst possible time. This year we had three typhoons close to Okinawa in June, one of which damaged our boat in a typhoon safe marina.
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 09:03   #40

My guess is ~ $15k or more to truck the boat to CA. You cant leave it in CA for very long or the state wil want tax money. I dont know your sailing experience but San Diego to Korea is going to be cold and long even with breaks. Ship your boat to Japan, then enjoy it. When you are 2000 miles from land, with the cold pacific leaking through every hatch and everything clammy and wet.... a couple thousand dollars will seem like it was a good investment! You could easily end up in San Diego for a long time fixing, preparing and maintaining your boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 13:04   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Looking from the other side of the world why not go with one of your original proposals, that of sailing the boat to Florida, but do it along the Intracoastal Waterway.

Other members will have way more information on doing this but I would have thought it would have several big advantages:-
* It can easily be done in several "bites" of a few months each, and may fit with your employment.
* The greater part is on protected water, suitable for relatively inexperienced sailors.
* There are many good facilities.
* The reports I've read suggest that the worst things that can happen are boredom and grounding (get insurance) but that overall it is one of the world's better boating experiences.

It may take you several years to get to Florida, but each section could be very enjoyable, and enjoyable trips attract good crew.

By the time you get to Florida you'll have a good idea of what you want to do next, but I seem to be seeing many reports of yachts having very pleasant experiences cruising the Caribbean. Those that don't often get the response "Should have read the guide book.".

I've spent several very pleasant months in Korea and there are many really great things about your country (the food,the culture and the people to name a few) but a major cruising area it is not.

So why not settle back, take it real slow, and enjoy the trip?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 16:19   #42

Here's another suggestion...It seems like you are working way too hard to get this boat from one side of the world to the other to be a part-time cruiser. I think you should sell the boat where it is. If it is not selling then you are asking too much. Everything will sell for some price. Then take that money, whatever it is, and invest it into chartering bareboats from anywhere on earth you want. You won't need to ship anything anywhere or die trying to sail through all the world's hurricane seasons on the same trip. Bareboats are great. You are the captain and go wherever you want and only pay when you are using the boat. No storage fees or any other kind of fees. Plus, there is a relatively new and well maintained boat ready and waiting for you wherever in the world you want to sail. I have really enjoyed reading this thread and admire your perserverance but I am pretty sure you are only going to add to your previous misery with any of your current plans A-Z. Sometimes tough love is neccessary. Let that boat go and get on with really great sailing wherever you want on your holidays.
luv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 02:18   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefossl View Post
We sailed from Mazatlan, Mexico to Hawaii, Guam and Okinawa in February-June of 2010. I did most of the prep in Mazatlan although we sourced the equipment from the US mail ordered to Tucson. The Sea of Cortez is a great place to learn the ropes and has reasonable labor costs for bottom painting or engine work. If you're a DIY, then having access to US marine mail order is an advantage in California.

For me the minimum safety gear for off shore was self steering, storm sail, liferaft, drogue, sat phone and e-mail for weather grib files. We had AIS after we left Hawaii and I would add that to the list especially if short handed. We also added a third reef in Hawaii which made me feel better.

I can't emphasize self steering enough. Keeps the crew rested and did amazingly well in 20 ft following seas and 30-40 kts.

One concern I have is your plan to pick up sailing in the middle or end of June towards Korea via Okinawa. This would take you through "typhoon alley" at the worst possible time. This year we had three typhoons close to Okinawa in June, one of which damaged our boat in a typhoon safe marina.
Dear Michael:

Thanks for the info!
Glad to hear about Mexico even though going there is not in the plan.
I do have windvane (monitor), liferaft, drogue, ICOM PCR-1000 (for weather files), AIS transponder, and 3rd reefing.

I do NOT have storm sails, sat phone.
I was thinking of renting one for the duration from Calif to Hawaii.
I might get storm sails, but still with a low priority.
Your mentioning them makes me think twice, and I will try to get them.

I am not trying hard to get to Guam and Korea, I am concentrating on the first stage to Hawaii now.
I might just sail direct towards Japan, which of course has the same Taiphoons to reduce the probabilities a bit.
From Okinawa or mainland Japan, I can be quite flexible in schedule because they are near Korea.

Thanks again.

y.lee
Old 16-12-2011, 02:25   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My guess is ~ $15k or more to truck the boat to CA. You cant leave it in CA for very long or the state wil want tax money. I dont know your sailing experience but San Diego to Korea is going to be cold and long even with breaks. Ship your boat to Japan, then enjoy it. When you are 2000 miles from land, with the cold pacific leaking through every hatch and everything clammy and wet.... a couple thousand dollars will seem like it was a good investment! You could easily end up in San Diego for a long time fixing, preparing and maintaining your boat.
It is under $10,000 for the trucking, but associated costs of unstepping mast, schrink wrap and stepping and putting in the water should be added and it is going near that price tag depending on how you want to have them dd the job.
The idea of shipping the boat to Japan is in the alternative after a month of San Diego refit and shakedown.
Of course it would have cost me less doing what you suggested, but the deposit has been paid already and I would be learning things a bit and refit to make the boat more sea-worthy anyway, which I would do anyway if I want to keep the boat.

Thanks, I do agree that it is the most confortable option and not the costiest either.

Yours,
Old 16-12-2011, 02:35   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Looking from the other side of the world why not go with one of your original proposals, that of sailing the boat to Florida, but do it along the Intracoastal Waterway.

Other members will have way more information on doing this but I would have thought it would have several big advantages:-
* It can easily be done in several "bites" of a few months each, and may fit with your employment.
* The greater part is on protected water, suitable for relatively inexperienced sailors.
* There are many good facilities.
* The reports I've read suggest that the worst things that can happen are boredom and grounding (get insurance) but that overall it is one of the world's better boating experiences.

It may take you several years to get to Florida, but each section could be very enjoyable, and enjoyable trips attract good crew.

By the time you get to Florida you'll have a good idea of what you want to do next, but I seem to be seeing many reports of yachts having very pleasant experiences cruising the Caribbean. Those that don't often get the response "Should have read the guide book.".

I've spent several very pleasant months in Korea and there are many really great things about your country (the food,the culture and the people to name a few) but a major cruising area it is not.

So why not settle back, take it real slow, and enjoy the trip?
Yes, I think the original plan was the better plan as you point out.
But, in the midst of hurriedly leaving before the New England Winter, I applied and registered the boat as a Korean one.
Because I wanted to visit Cuba and all.

Now, Korea does not have yacht treaty(?) with US, so I have to report to CBP the boat's every move.
Also, I should point out that I am not a very relaxed person, actually no Korean is I think.
I think I am not really fit for cruising life style as is.
Good to find that out.

I will see how things will work out in San Diego, and decide on the course of the plans: ship it, sail it, wait another 3-4 months trying.

Thank you for the suggestion and you rationale.

Yours,

Tags
california, hawaii, sailing