Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 23:46   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Trucking to California, Sailing to Hawaii and More . . .

If there is a milk run long passage, it is the sail to Hawaii from the US mainland. There usually is no bad weather and it's practically guaranteed to be downhill all the way. Winter winds are not as steady and may even be lighter than in the summer.

You can get dry storage at Gentry Marine in Honokohau Harbor in Kona on the Island of Hawaii. Cost is around $8.00 a foot. Storage is limited so you'll want to get your name on the list early. There may be slips available in Keehi Lagoon in Honolulu. It's in an industrial area but it will probably be the cheapest slips available. You can get three months during any calendar year in any State marina.

PM me if you need more information about keeping the boat here in Hawaii and the sail over.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 00:44   #17

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38
Send a message via MSN to cool2848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day YL,

I'm afraid that I must join the other nay-sayers here. What you propose is too big a bite for inexperienced cruisers. The passage from California to Hawaii in mid winter isn't the pleasant sleigh ride that is enjoyed in the summer, but often is interrupted by F8 to F10 storms. Then once in Hawaii, finding storage for your boat at a price you can afford will be problematical. Repairing the faults that will crop up on the passage will be more difficult there as well as more expensive.

Additionally, your time schedule for refitting and shaking down is awfully optimistic and IMO (from long experience) unrealistic. San Diego is indeed well equipped with chandleries and boatyards, but is also full of other folks requiring their services. Things don't always happen as planned there!

Finally, planning a cruise around an inflexible schedule is a death trap, leading to poor decisions about weather and departures. Any experienced yottie will confirm this... Dave (Maxing out) being one such.

In the long run I suspect that you would spend less money and have a less beat-up boat if you shipped her all the way... and you wouldn't end up bailing out in Hawaii, cold, wet and scared (as you reported happening to you before).

I don't really like raining on anyone's parade, but I reckon that your parade needs a bit of rain right now.

I surely hope that you can work out a better plan, mate, and then enjoy your learning curve instead of getting it forced on you by circumstances.

Cheers,

Jim

Dear Jim:

You are BAD!
Thank you very much for your concern and advice!
After reading your post(?)/writing last night, I went to MaxingOut's amazing blog and read some as well as yours I think.
It was an hour or two after midnight, but I could not sleep until 9:00 a.m. thinking and re-thinking the plans.

I must admit two very important points in your writing: (1) haste plan which is NOT good because I will be forced to do things/start wthout waiting patiently for good weather pattern, and (2) two inexperienced sailors going a very long distance off-shore cruising.

After an hour or two of sleep, I met with my crew at the pre-planned time of 2p.m. local time.
I talked that my plan has been too optimistic and might work, while I have to admit to your points and that life is very dear to us and I really should have done more worst-case analysis.

After an hour or two of discussion between us, we came to the following alternative plan instead of totally discarding the current plan:
(1) trucking the boat as scheduled to San Diego;
(2) refit and shake-down cruise (one month or less);
(3) decide (3.1) and head for Hawaii if confident; (3.2) get an experienced crew to Hawaii with good off-shore experiences if possible and head for Hawaii; (3.3) sail the boat to LA, and ship the boat to Korea if not ready;
(3.4) sail the boat to LA area and find an inexpensive marina to put the boat on hard and come back during SUmmer month from Mid June to end of Aug to continue doing what was planned as (3.1) or (3.2).

Now initial plan to Hwawaii and beyond changed into Hawaii or more likely coastal cruising a little in the SW California.
We beriefly thought about going South a little to Baja, Mexico area but we do not know the area at all and do not want to be in a more uncertain situations.

Also, something that I was not quite clear about the writing was my purpose of the whole plan.
It looks like a delivery, and it is.
But, it is also partly my attempt to build up my cruising experience.

I willl see how it goes, and report the progress hopefully here, and hope to get some more serious concerns and writings from you old salts.

I really appreciated you guys' writings!

Yours,

Yillbyung Lee
CASCADE, 1976 Alajuela38
cool2848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 21:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I met a really nice "young" cruising couple here. They were selling their boat after sailing it from Seattle.

They both had pretty decent Microsoft jobs and couldn't unplug full time. They managed to sail on vacations and breaks for something like 3 years. If I recall they went all the way down to the galapagos before heading across the pacific, they would plan ahead, store up the boat and leave it often for months at a time.

I admired their perserverance. They finally were selling out to refocus on having kids and all that jazz but they had memories for a lifetime. Or at least to retirement.

Good luck with getting the boat to Korea.
Dear Dan:

I guess I understand the couples minds somewhat.
I hope I like crusing enough to be a cruiser atefter my retirement.

Thanks for your interests and wish.
I hope to go to Singapore someday on my own boat.

Yours,
Old 12-12-2011, 21:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Ahnahnazao (?sp)Wow thats a lot of travel in such a short time ..but if you are going to do it good luck(lucky 7) fair winds and far far away places to yah.you can do it but take more time ..as if you are going to have a choice.....DVC
I have to remember what you are saying: "as if I am going to have a choice...".
Yes, I have to keep that in mind.

At least some of the initial miiles are covered by a truck.^^
Then my plan now includes much easier alternatives to sailing to Hawaii even though original goal is still prefered.

Thanks,
Old 12-12-2011, 21:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Thats how my boat got to Fiji,
The original owner Bought it in Annapolis, had it trucked across America to Morro Bay and then paid a crew to sail it to Hawai, Then to Tonga and then to Fiji, where I bought it,

But it did take 8 years to get to Fiji,, Hahahahahahaha
Several years ago, I almost bought a boat that was in Fiji.
It would have been much easier and enjoyable to have gone with the choice.
I will see how long it takes for me to take my boat until I sell it.
Actually, I put her on sale for the last year, and it did not work.
Old 12-12-2011, 21:52   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool2848

Several years ago, I almost bought a boat that was in Fiji.
It would have been much easier and enjoyable to have gone with the choice.
I will see how long it takes for me to take my boat until I sell it.
Actually, I put her on sale for the last year, and it did not work.
If you live west of the American continent, east coast boats are all but unreachable unless you are planning the panama canal and delivery from the start.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 21:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemac View Post
Your idea has many good points. Trucking cross the US is probably less cost than sailing and much faster. Sailing from San Diego to Hawaii is a good downwind reach, BUT, the best time of year is April through the end of July. In the Winter Months you will probably encounter one or two fast moving cold fronts moving from west to east which will hit you with little warning, gale force winds, and heavy seas. You will then be very busy for six hours to several days. You must be prepared to reef sails or hove to very quickly if you get hit with one of these. Learn how to read the clouds and waves and watch your barometer constantly. Practice reefing till you can do it quickly day or night. Hawaii is a great place to visit, but safe Harbor space is difficult to find. There are good open anchorages but those again are subject to the same fast moving cold front hazard. A tranquil anchorage can change to a dangerous lee shore with 30 knot winds and 3 meter seas in an hour or so. Again, the April to July months are the ones least likely for these conditions. Hurricanes in the Eastern Pacific generally do not come north of 20 degrees latitude until August. August Through November though Powerful Hurricanes form off Central America and move rapidly West below the Tropic of Cancer and can turn North just about anywhere. West of Hawaii you have to check with someone else for weather and sailing information.

Here are two good weather links I use. The University of hawaii site can provide you with good forecast winds for a week or so ahead. This is great for planning your trip.

Global Composite Weather Satellite Infrared Pictures from NASA GHCC

University of Hawaii Meteorology: Still Model Images/Collage

Good Luck.
Dear Eaglemac:

Thank you very much for your detailed information!
I will try to remember and prctice reefing before I leave for Hawaii.
I had third reefing made for the main sale, and have inner sail made to be used partially furled.
I do not have storm tri sail or storm jib.
I have not decided on these yet.
I do have drogue and lines and fitting made for the boat.

Now that I have easier alternatives to fall to, I feel better and watch the weather sites you gave and shoot for the conditions that will let me start out to Hawaii hopefully.

Much appreciated.
Old 12-12-2011, 21:55   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If memory serves, a sister ship of my 36x13-foot, 14-ton motorboat is being shipped by truck from New England to San Diego for $8500.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 22:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If there is a milk run long passage, it is the sail to Hawaii from the US mainland. There usually is no bad weather and it's practically guaranteed to be downhill all the way. Winter winds are not as steady and may even be lighter than in the summer.

You can get dry storage at Gentry Marine in Honokohau Harbor in Kona on the Island of Hawaii. Cost is around $8.00 a foot. Storage is limited so you'll want to get your name on the list early. There may be slips available in Keehi Lagoon in Honolulu. It's in an industrial area but it will probably be the cheapest slips available. You can get three months during any calendar year in any State marina.

PM me if you need more information about keeping the boat here in Hawaii and the sail over.
Dear Peter:

Thanks for the detailed information on the wind and on the marinas.
The marinas I looked at includes Gentry's in Kona and Ko Olina Marina in Oahu.
I did not think dry storage space is also limited.
Now I know where to contact better.
I guess I will go ahead and reserve a place in case I succeed in getting started and arrive there safely as well.

Thanks for the offer, I will email you.

I do hope my original plan, which is still Plan-A, works out for me, and get to see you in Hawaii.

Yillbyung Lee
Old 12-12-2011, 22:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If memory serves, a sister ship of my 36x13-foot, 14-ton motorboat is being shipped by truck from New England to San Diego for $8500.

Thanks for the infromation!
I did contacted several companies and decided on one and paid deposit for the Dec. 28th loading/start.
Hope it wokrs out flawlessly.

Y.Lee
Old 12-12-2011, 22:20   #26

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool2848 View Post
Dear Eaglemac:

Thank you very much for your detailed information!
I will try to remember and prctice reefing before I leave for Hawaii.
I had third reefing made for the main sale, and have inner sail made to be used partially furled.
I do not have storm tri sail or storm jib.
I have not decided on these yet.
I do have drogue and lines and fitting made for the boat.

Now that I have easier alternatives to fall to, I feel better and watch the weather sites you gave and shoot for the conditions that will let me start out to Hawaii hopefully.

Much appreciated.
I had a drogue on board, but didnt use it. I found locking the motor down in neutral and using that as a drogue kept me in a straight line along with the windward centre board fully down and about a third of the Genoa up.

The Genoa has a tendency to flick the boat sideways and beam on to the waves, In big waves, that is definately scary ****,

Mines a Cat, so will be different to yours,

The storms I encountered, I just ran before them, Till the storm ran out of puff,

And I just single handed my boat from Fiji to Bundaberg in Qld Australia, 1600 nautical miles, But closer to 3000 nautical miles because of the wind direction,

21 days at sea, and the wind did not go where I wanted it to go. Wind, Northwest,
Me, Southwest.

Watch a few video's on sailing in rough weather, I did, very beneficial when your out there, You can see what they did in very bad weather and huge waves.

Any one can sail in a millpond,

I still cant sail for ****.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 22:25   #27

On a cruise at the end of January 2003, we rescued three sailers making a delivery on their way from California to Hawaii.

Old 12-12-2011, 22:46   #28

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
On a cruise at the end of January 2003, we rescued three sailers making a delivery on their way from California to Hawaii.

Such a little boat,
Such a very big Ocean.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 22:58   #29

Nice boat-I see why you are in love.

Where there is a will -there's a way.

I think you need to find that special person who doesn't have a boat but wants to travel the route you have.

How do you find that person ?

They are out there.
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 03:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Such a little boat,
Such a very big Ocean.
The boat was well over 40 feet long. Pretty big, in the marina.

Tags
california, hawaii, sailing