Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-10-2008, 05:23   #1

Transport yacht from California to SE Asia

I live in Malaysia/Thailand and wish to transport around a 38ft sailboat from California to Malaysia/Thailand. Just wondering if anybody knows the best way to do this (i.e. shipping or sailing). I've heard there are risks in doing both. Shipping it can be pricey and risky once she arrives at the destination (customs and rigging). I know many have sailed from the Western USA to SE Asia, but on their own boat. Wondering if it is risky to have her sailed by a crew, paying them of course.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2008, 07:23   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
It is a very long trip but there are numerous delivery captains willing to do it for cash. Have you contacted www.dockwise.com for a quote (they serve 3 southeast asian destinations, closest would be Singapore) - that way you have some hard numbers to compare with having the boat sailed on her own hull and can subtract the fees and some arbitrary amount of depreciation (that won't happen with transports). The big factor will probably be time, since this trip will take quite some time vs. shipping. Also, is the boat already blue-water equipped (sails, tankage, radar, liferaft, EPIRB, SSB, SatPhone, etc.)?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
It is a very long journey and the boat will definitely have wear and tear to be repaired when she arrives.

Shipping is really expensive and I have herd recently that getting space is a problem.

There is a TP52 being campaigned out here (Foxy Lady) that I understand was shipped out.

There also have been a couple of new yachts shipped.

Is it a specific kind of boat you are looking for? There are some interesting boats for sale regionally. I haven't seriously considered shipping or having a used boat crewed from the US. It just doesn't seem cost effective for a used cruiser, cruiser/racer.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 19:43   #4

Locally purchased boats

Thanks for the reply Dan. I have been browsing the various web sites for a while, but so far, none have really caught my interest. The reason being is that recently I was in Canada and stepped on board a Catalina 34 (year 2001). These new designs are very "beamy" with well over 6ft headroom and huge cockpits and the traveler ahead of the cockpit. Just the over all design is so much nicer than an older boat which is much longer. For 100k USD I could pick up a later model Catalina with lots of extras, as in SE Asia, I would get a much older boat (and design) for the same price.
Old 06-10-2008, 20:34   #5

Boat: Catalina 34MKII
Headroom,

I own a Catalina 34 and absolutley love her. However, if yo want that boat to make it to Asia, the only way that makes sense is Dockwise. They are great coastal cruisers, but not meant to cross oceans. Have they? Certainly!!!! Would I, no way!
Great boat for local sailing though. Love her.
Old 06-10-2008, 21:28   #6

I'm looking at a coastal cruiser in SE Asia and do not anticipate being too far from land. That's why a Catalina 34/36/38 would be ideal. I love the room, inside and out and the way she is designed. I only plan on spending a few days to a week on board at anyone time.
Old 06-10-2008, 21:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by headroom View Post
For 100k USD I could pick up a later model Catalina with lots of extras, as in SE Asia, I would get a much older boat (and design) for the same price.

Yes it is certainly the dilemma out here. Add the shipping cost to the 100k and the older boats with a refit start looking very good.

There is an Elan dealer here in Singapore and that's a very nice yacht.

I look at the few Hunters, Jeanneus and Bene's out here and think, OK 100k plus refit and I get a little bigger boat in the 36-39 range.

I routinely keep my eye on Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia for boat sales. A also look at Australia but to sail it up here it would have to be a very special boat.

There is one advantage to sailing them in or shipping them in and that is you are likely to recoup some of the shipping cost. A good boat here gets a premium simply because it is here.

The other issue is 80% of all boats change hands by word of mouth so you have to be plugged in to the community pretty well.
Old 07-10-2008, 00:30   #8

I have been browsing a few local boat brokers but have not visited the Howison Marine site. It appears that for the same $$ I could do very well in the US or Canada, and that is a good point about shipping a boat from there; it would have a good resale and would probably recoup some shipping costs.

If you hear of any value buys <100k USD, then I would love to hear about it. I'm patient and still working for a living so there is no huge rush, but do want something that i could sail single-handed.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 07-10-2008, 08:24   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's quite a bit above your range buit when you get to looking at shipping costs it might not be.

There is a great Beneteau Oceanis 393 at Sebana Cove. Howison Marine is listing it and it has been on the market at least 5 months.

HowisonMarine

I know Bob and Judy Howison pretty well.
Old 07-10-2008, 21:00   #10

Yes, that is a real beauty, but a bit out of my range.

Tags
Asia, california

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: