Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 16:53   #1

Boat: valiant 40
Transit Singapore

Hi all We are looking for some local wisdom. Currently we are anchored 15nm east of Singapore waiting to transit to puteri harbour, are we correct in assuming that the 1st of November would be ok tide wise having a high at 5.50 am and a very small low. Our plan would be to get close the day before and go at first light, we only have 5 knots boat speed at cruise. Cheers all
Ian & Alison
S.V Nereid
Old 26-10-2014, 17:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: transit Singapore

Presuming you are not stopping in Singapore -

You won't be able to rely on the winds this time of year so I'd make sure you had diesel enough to motor for about 10+ hours. The good news is any wind you get will be Southwest and the trip will be a close reach/close hauled until you hit Raffles light and turn northerly.

You'd best hug the right side of the fairway, lots af very fast ships will be passing you, give them room.

In terms of tide there isn't a great story. At some point you will be against current. Water comes into Singapore from both ends of the strait. I've passed close to Raffles light with 3+ knots against me. My advice is don't pass too close to the light, it gets really choppy and confused.

I'd go at the middle of the flood and you should have a tail current for the first part, hopefully pass Raffles by the time the next ebb is getting underway. Then when you make the turn into the west channel you are at slack or still fighting the last few hours of the ebb.

Most sailors here do this several times a year (Changi to Raffles marina) - I have done it in 8 hours and I have done it in 12 hours. Most sailors go when they "have" to - i.e. start early Saturday morning because that's my day off - and take what they get.

Other Singapore sailors may weigh in here. Like I said my "average" is like 10 hours but your idea to go with a low variation in high to low is probably as good a strategy as any. Whatever currents you do get will be minimized.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 20:52   #3

Re: Transit Singapore

Thanks for the advice Ex Calif we will stick to the plan and and go on the 1st of November, fuel won't be the problem the thing that concerns me is running out of daylight still guess I'll just have to wear my big boy pants.
Cheers
Old 26-10-2014, 21:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't know where you are starting from but we've launched an hour or so before dawn in the past on order to hit the straight at dawn.

We have also crossed the Strait at night. It's a big deal due to significant light clutter. We ended up crossing a ship at about 200-300 meters. The only clue (finally) was a big dark spot against the Singapore shore lights.

Not preferable to be in the straits in the dark.

If you start at Dawn or just pre-dawn you should be in good shape as the last couple of hours or more will be heading up the quiet west channel.

Just be careful there as there is pretty shallow water on the port side (Malaysia side) before the bridge.
Old 26-10-2014, 21:46   #5

Boat: Stevens 47

Where are you anchored? If further east than the Malaysian Navy base anchorage at 01 22.981N / 104 05.618E you may shave a few miles off by anchoring there.

Current is inconsistent and can be strong. Once around the corner on the western side you can anchor on the Malaysian side at several spots short of getting all the way to Puteri. If you want I can email an OpenCPN track file and waypoints.

Most ships are anchored, so the trick is to look through the fleet for moving vessels that could surprise you passing on the other side of huge ships. Ferries move fast – 20+ knots. Smaller cargo ships and tugs underway are not shy about passing very close – alter course early. Expect to be shadowed by the Singapore maritime patrol boats.

AIS isn’t so good because too many targets. Our radar is fried so my strategy for squalls was to pull near (safe distance) to the closest big, anchored ship and hold station.

Good luck.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 01:04   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svTOTEM View Post

AIS isn’t so good because too many targets. Our radar is fried so my strategy for squalls was to pull near (safe distance) to the closest big, anchored ship and hold station.

Good luck.
Great tip...

High likelihood of hitting at least 1 good squall. Visibility can drop to the bow of the boat. Squall/t-storm can last 45-90 minutes.

My experience with the fast movers - ferries and such - is they will pass close but avoid you/follow the regs. Can be quite annoying as they throw large wakes and like to pass in front ;-(

I don't expect the ships to alter course and plan accordingly.
Old 01-11-2014, 00:20   #7

Jobs done, did it in 8hours one small front lasted for an hour but nothing like the Borneo's 60 knot ones tucked up behind the little island downstream from Raffles marina thanks for the Advice ex calif.
Old 01-11-2014, 00:28   #8

Thanks to you as well Totem
Old 01-11-2014, 17:13   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well done. How is Puteri Harbor? Danga Bay was the hot ticket but I understand they are redeveloping into high end condos.
Old 02-11-2014, 00:41   #10

Didn't go under the bridge anchored down rive and now heading to Pangkor for a haulout
Ex Calif

Tags
Singapore, singapore