Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2012, 18:11   #31

Boat: Swan 56
Re: The First Marina in Cambodia. Soon

The norm in SE Asia is not to provide holding tank pump out facilities. I know that Sutera Harbour Marina in KK does have a mobile unit, but I've never seen it being used.

I don't think there is a great demand here - most boat owners here would rather discharge straight to the sea than use a pump out facility.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 19:55   #32

Boat: Traditional 30

The port is very industrial at Snooky, as you would know. And doesn't lend itself as a cruising destination itself. My thoughts are that many visitors would be passing through only and as others have suggested will be needing good access to supplies- be they food\water or engine/rigging parts. I know supply of engine parts will be limited, but even if visitors can you the address of the marina to have parts posted to them, it would be a wonderful service.

At this stage there is only one yacht for charter out of snooky, that I know of. It would be good to see some others also. But that would be for another operator I suspect.

Sihanoukville was my favourite destination after a 2 month vacation to Vietnam, Loas, Thailand and Cambodia. With Ochheuteal Beach being my favourite place to have a beer. One thing, you may want to ensure is that the jewellery kids and massage women don't frequent the marina. It would be quite off-putting to someone just arriving, as they are in much greater quantity than Vietnam or Thailand for instance and the kids tend to be quite rude, even after they get a sale.

Side note. I met a really nice russian guy that runs a coffee shop on Ochheuteal Beach. Best coffee in south east asia :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 20:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantula View Post
I am now looking for a supplier of equipment for the marina - Service pedestals, mooring fingers, bollards and the like. I would be happy to hear advice on the sellers far from us. Now negotiate with Singapore with the company Marinetek. But they have so far little interest in our small marina. By Christmas, try to start accepting guests.
Engineering and labor is cheap in Cambodia. You may be able to get a local machine shop to make things like Bollards, subject to the quality of materials available.
Old 27-09-2012, 21:01   #34
Marine Service Provider

My marina wishlist includes:

- A resonable price where I don't pay the earth even if my yacht is 50ft or a Catamaran
- Suitable lighting for docking walking around at night
- Clearly signed channel if required to safely enter the Marina at night
- Good protection from the dock so if my fenders aren't great that I don't damage my boat
- Easy and safe access to power, diesel, propane and fresh water
- Clean showers & restrooms
- WIFI internet
- Swipe card or key access to the gate to get to my boat
- Facilities to check into and out of the country (if you are a common point of entry)
- Good shops nearby for provisioning
- Easy and cheap transport into town
- Overall security. I don't want my boat broken into or my dinghy stolen
- Restaurant and cafe's are good to have but certainly not essential

Just my 2 cents worth.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 00:54   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FMB

Thank you! I thought the lack of experience that the environment has reached and yachtsmen
Well, as we say in Russia: a woman with a cart - horses easier
Give up the pumping station bilge water - offer mobile fire station Fire Caddy

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I try to do service in the marina to the maximum. Just take as a basis a complete set of services from the best marinas and see what I can apply to me.
Security will be guaranteed regular patrols and cameras 24 hours.
Western-made food supply, but also local.

Service pedestals booked in the UK. - Rolec
* 2 floating pontoons with mooring fingers from Finland.- Marinetek
Bollards, cleats galvanizing and aluminum from Finland as well.
Looked local production hull fittings - no good.

Was recently at a local shipyard in the fishing village (near my marina). The result was an instructive picture story

If the forum rules allowed, I can give the link to my photo albums, including the construction of the marina. (subject to moderation)

mantula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 20:45   #36

yes it would be great to see photos as you construct it. Assuming the mods let it through cos it may be kinda seen as spam. But hopefully it we will get to see the marina built in action.

I will be back in Snooky in May. I will rent a bike and have a look too :-D
Old 30-09-2012, 22:14   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
yes it would be great to see photos as you construct it. Assuming the mods let it through cos it may be kinda seen as spam. But hopefully it we will get to see the marina built in action.

I will be back in Snooky in May. I will rent a bike and have a look too :-D

I will give no active link to the photo album. This technical pictures stages of construction. For the history of the marina photograph

Hopefully, by May, when you arrive in Sihanoukville - will be something to show. Welcome back!

vk.com/album6952040_162636270

vk.com/album6952040_163167182 shipyard
Old 01-10-2012, 01:20   #38

Quote:
I will give no active link to the photo album. This technical pictures stages of construction. For the history of the marina photograph

Hopefully, by May, when you arrive in Sihanoukville - will be something to show. Welcome back!

vk.com/album6952040_162636270

vk.com/album6952040_163167182 shipyard
great photos , thanks for sharing
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07   #39
Marine Service Provider

WaveBlade - British engineering, underwater scraper.

It seems that since 2010 produces. I have only seen in commercials and on YouTube's. The idea and implementation are very good. Do not need an expensive lift boats out of the water. You can do yourself.
The very inexpensive thing I've seen in sales of about $ 400

Tell me who and what it knows about. Very interested, because I want to buy a couple of these for our marina.

Old 04-10-2012, 16:04   #40

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
WaveBlade - British engineering, underwater scraper.
Hmm,
something in the back of my mind about electricity and water
And really, how long do you think they would last in the hands of uncaring/overzealous workers?
And if you needed repairs and parts?

Thinking back to an instance of a mates commercial vessel that needed a new anchor windlass in Vanuatu, it worked out cheaper and more reliable to employ men to do the work than to buy a machine.

With wages in Cambodia being what they are I would have thought the same would apply with this.

Quote:
Do not need an expensive lift boats out of the water.
Surely you cant be trying to tell us that this type of lift is expensive in Cambodia?

Old 04-10-2012, 19:05   #41
Marine Service Provider

in the marina I will not allow the Khmer to the fine work. Only security and cleaning, carrying heavy objects up and down

But seriously, lift the boat to shore at a local shipyard for 350 bucks + work. And shipyard little suited for lifting yachts as I thought. And if drop a yacht? Serve them to court?
Old 06-10-2012, 16:19   #42

For me, security is my main issue with any Asian marina
As we are only guests in your or any country I think many of us would need a marina where we could happily leave our boats for a month or more at a time to hop into Vietnam, do visa runs etc.

1) This will mean secure horn cleats and berths protected from wave action (Marinas in Penang can be affected by wave/wash action so much that horn cleats get torn out of boats)
2) Someone who can come down and air the boat and close it up when it rains and even start and runup the engine on occasion if left for longer periods
3) Knowing that when we come back to the boat that everything will still be there (no theft)

And fuel
I will need to be able to pull up to a dock to take on several hundred litres of clean diesel at a time, preferably not from a collection of rusty drums.
Old 06-10-2012, 16:29   #43

Quote:
in the marina I will not allow the Khmer to the fine work. Only security and cleaning, carrying heavy objects up and down
A bottom scrape is hardly what I would call "fine work"
Anyone can do it

Quote:
But seriously, lift the boat to shore at a local shipyard for 350 bucks + work. And shipyard little suited for lifting yachts as I thought. And if drop a yacht? Serve them to court?
Coming out on a trolley is not a lift as such.
And if owners signed an indemnity form that would take care of any legal action.

Of course owners would need to check out the trolley and slipway themselves to make sure they are entirely happy with the methods used.
I would think that most yachties who have got themselves to Cambodia should know if the slipway is up for the job or not looking at how vessels that have come out before them have been handled and supported.

For me and most cats, a flat bit of beach will suffice in most cases.
Old 07-10-2012, 00:50   #44
Marine Service Provider

Thank you,

Yes, the security in the marina is a priority and this is one of the main problems for me. I will train the guards to not sleep at night . In addition to trained personnel to care for boats - aerate, turn over the engine, cleaning, etc.
Along the perimeter of the marina will be installed video cameras with a signal of danger.
Even think to have a guard dog.

Motion sensors can be installed on owners' right on the boat. All systems will run 24 hours.
In addition, the marina rents in the territory of the naval base and experience shows that thieves do not go to such places.
And do not forget that my marina is not big in size and you can see everything clearly.

In principle, in my experience Cambodia pretty safe.
Western people enjoy a certain prestige and untouchability.
Cases of incidents with tourists and barangs are extremely rare and often blame themselves victims.
For example, I do not close my car and quietly leave it in the market or the store or on the beach.

Bunkering - will be with the car tank in a special place on a stationary dock.
While inappropriate to fuel station in the marina.

Slip and lifting - I'm working on this issue.
There will be 2 options. Slip on a local shipyard and crane in cargo seaport Sihanoukville, depending on the boat and repair.

Marina is fully protected from the waves by a breakwater. Maximum wave in the harbor of 0.3-0.4 meters at gale force winds.
The tide is weak, drop to 1 m
Old 07-10-2012, 01:05   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
in the marina I will not allow the Khmer to the fine work
I meant to work with new devices, such Vaveblade. According to the instructions there is no need to scratch, and just keep the correct angle

Tags
Cambodia, Marina in Cambodia, Marina in Sihanoukville, Marina Oceania