Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-07-2015, 13:31   #31

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Re: The big pacific loop: San Francisco/Hawaii/Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrethew View Post
Oh yah? Is there a reason they end up there instead? And what part of Malaysia you talking!?

Thanks!
Go to Yachtworld dot com.

Use the Advanced Search Feature.

Search for boats within YOUR budget and within the geographic area YOU would like to purchase.

Make sure you indicate (check box) that you want to receive email notice of new boats that are listed that fit your search parameters. Each week I get about a dozen boats in my email box based on my search criteria.

It will reveal itself.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 09:04   #32

Boat: WOrking on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Go to Yachtworld dot com.

Use the Advanced Search Feature.

Search for boats within YOUR budget and within the geographic area YOU would like to purchase.

Make sure you indicate (check box) that you want to receive email notice of new boats that are listed that fit your search parameters. Each week I get about a dozen boats in my email box based on my search criteria.

It will reveal itself.
Yeah, it didn't reveal itself. But thanks for (sorta) helping.

Old 13-07-2015, 10:50   #33

Quote:
Yeah, it didn't reveal itself. But thanks for (sorta) helping.

Sorta?

Well…to be revealed…you have to look.

Here is a simple search for "Langkawi" in the search field. Langkawi is a popular sailing destination in Malaysia and popular place for selling boats (like Miami-Ft Lauderdale in USA). Boats sail there from Europe, USA, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

There are MANY boats listed there.

langkawi Boats For Sale

I can't help you anymore than that.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Old 13-07-2015, 14:01   #34

Boat: WOrking on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Sorta?

Well…to be revealed…you have to look.

Here is a simple search for "Langkawi" in the search field. Langkawi is a popular sailing destination in Malaysia and popular place for selling boats (like Miami-Ft Lauderdale in USA). Boats sail there from Europe, USA, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

There are MANY boats listed there.

langkawi Boats For Sale

I can't help you anymore than that.

Right there we go -- needed that key word to get me started. Now I'm seeing all the owners anxious to sell. Is there a reason that this island is the hotspot? I've been reading that Hawaii isn't too friendly to cruisers so I guess it makes sense that not many boats end up there.

THANKS, cap'n.
Old 13-07-2015, 14:25   #35

Quote:
Right there we go -- needed that key word to get me started. Now I'm seeing all the owners anxious to sell. Is there a reason that this island is the hotspot? I've been reading that Hawaii isn't too friendly to cruisers so I guess it makes sense that not many boats end up there.

THANKS, cap'n.
You ask why the boats end up there.

I have not been there myself.

But here is my take on it (others will have a different view):

1. Many people in Europe and USA want to "sail to the South Seas."

2. They buy a boat, sail it there, spend time on it cruising, and then decide they have had enough. So, they take it as "far as we can go" and then put it up for sale. This happens to some boats that are taken to New Zealand and to Australia. I have read of many people doing this. The boat has to end up somewhere, and to take it back to Europe or East Coast USA would be a LONG and expensive trip.

For example, to sail a boat from Malaysia to San Francisco is about 7,000 nautical miles. That is a long trip, with not much to see (except maybe Japan). Not appealing to most cruisers.

3. In recent years, there was a significant increase in Pirates (Somalia, Horn of Africa). Because of that, many cruisers decided to NOT risk going further or through the Red Sea (Suez Canal) Route. And, the alternative (go around South Africa) is considerably longer and has other risks. So, they decided to park their boat in Malaysia (or elsewhere) and wait till another year. But the Piracy continued for several years. So…

4. Labor is less expensive (in SE Asian boat yards). Some boats are taken there for "refit" (e.g. new teak). Then it gets costly. Or the plans change. Etc.

Perhaps others here can add to this.
Old 13-07-2015, 18:52   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Langkawi is a duty-free port. Lots of beautiful, inexpensive, luscious food. Interesting culturally. Good facilities for working on boats, monkeys a nuisance.

Ann
Old 14-07-2015, 11:26   #37

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43 feet

From what I have read, Sidney is a hot spot for selling US boats because there is no import duty as there is for European Union boats. The market for well equipped US boats is consistently strong there over the years as economic conditions are historically firm or growing and demand is strong. Boaters report strong prices and favorable exchange rates.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:59   #38

Boat: Hewescraft 22OP with 20 foot itis.

I am going to tag along with this thread. I have a sumer cabin in SE Alaska and have thought it would be a good base for the " big pacific loop." I have thought spending June July and August at our cabin would be great and then head south for warmer water and back. I would like to extend an invitation to any of you to contact me if you are in the area in July. I can offer a warming beach fire and promise to drive you crazy asking questions.

Tags
alaska, hawaii, san francisco

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: