Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2008, 00:56   #1

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Sydney to Queensland?

Just a quick question, who has done the Sydney to Qld run? We will be heading north from Batemans Bay around easter 2009. Interested to hear how you did,
I think you can almost do the whole NSW coast in day hops. I would love to read of your experiences.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 14:00   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I haven't done Sydney to Queensland, but have done the other way around. I purchased my boat in Mooloolaba, Queensalnd, and Sydney was one of my stop-offs on the delivery trip back to Hobart, Tasmania. I only made one stop between Mooloolaba and Sydney - at Coffs Harbour... Coffs is a good stop-off point - no tidal bar, nice wide, well protected bay for anchorage and good marina for berthing (and a good pub too).

Be aware that the SE Australian current may well be an issue for you - it runs North to South at anything up to 3 knots... usually a few miles offshore, so you may want to hug the coast a bit to stay out of it's influence... keep an eye on your speed via the log and the gps, to make sure you aren't suffering too badly as a result of the current.

Other people may have different opinions, but for me, for a long trip, if you get favourable weather / winds, you go, go, go... make as much distance as you can, and only stop if you have to. If the weather / winds are unfavourable, either take short hops where this is possible, or sit tight in a sheltered spot until your next weather window, then go, go , go again.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 19:47   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We are heading north from Sydney to Queensland on Jan 2nd so will tell you about it, if you like.

As Weyalan says about the east coast current, tack into the beaches and outboard at the headlands and don't go over the continetal shelf as thats where the Pilot says they are strongest.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 23:18   #4

Thanks Weyalan & Mark,

Love hear how it goes Mark , hope we can catch up along the way although your in faster boat & and will have a couple of months head start!!!

Cheers,

Old 25-11-2008, 06:09   #5

Boat: 45ft Leopard cat
we did the run up last year from Melbourne to Urangan on the first run. I agree - when the weather's right keep moving. The Northern NSW coast has plenty of harbours, but many with bars. Read Lucas. Once you're north of Fraser Island you're in Paradise. Day sailing with a different wonderful place to drop the pick each night - Perfect! Patrick is best for Bundaberg to Mackay. Just make sure you take your time on that leg - it's just magic and it goes for a very long way.

Big Macca
Big Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 03:14   #6

Boat: boat less ATM
Day sailed Bne - Sydney

My wife & I sailed our last boat 32 ft Crowther cat from Brisbane to Sydney over 10 days arriving at the heads in time to watch the Syd - Hobart start. Got into trouble for having our main up Apparently a BIG no no because of the race.
We crossed a bar every afternoon late (around 1800 hrs usually) having left at 0600 hrs That time of the year that meant crossing each way was on a high tide. Worked well for us.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 03:48   #7

Boat: Ranger 33
Hey hye

Hey MarkJ...glad to see you are back....

George
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 01:03   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
Hey MarkJ...glad to see you are back....

George
OK we gotta catch up. How did you go?

Mark (and a bit of )

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 03:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Just a quick question, who has done the Sydney to Qld run? We will be heading north from Batemans Bay around easter 2009. Interested to hear how you did,
I think you can almost do the whole NSW coast in day hops. I would love to read of your experiences.
You can do it in day hops, but you have to cross barred entrances. Most are fine though. We mostly day hopped, but did 2 overnighters, one to avoid Ballina, and the first because the entrance to Port Macquarie was breaking all the way across.

Easter should be a reasonably good time to do it, the north-east sea breezes can start early and get quite strong in summer. In winter you have a better chance of Westerlies, which make life easy, but you need warm clothes.

As mentioned before, get Alan Lucas' book, you'll refer to it frequently.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 17:24   #10

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
We did the run some years ago and quite frankly I would recommend the day hop option. If you have to be somewhere for a particular reason then yep go go go if the weather is right but if you are cruising - cruise!

We only did one overnighter and that was Bundaberg into Gladstone (if I remember right) and we also missed Ballina and Port Macquarie for the same reasons as 44' cruising cat. However we can HIGHLY recommend Lake Macquarie, which is dependent on your draft at the moment I believe. If you have a moderate draft it is worth the effort to get in. Also enjoyed Port Stephens if you can get away from the droves of boats on long weekends. Fame cove was lovely once but too many people go ashore to 'go potty' and when we were last there it was a little high and the used toilet paper was everywhere. (shame on all boaties that spoil it for the rest).

One of our favourite spots though was Laurieton! Loved this town so much we stayed for weeks. The townsfolk are the friendliest we have met and can't do enough to help you. We were welcomed at the library everyday to use the internet at a really minimal cost. The RSL supplied a free wharf to tie up at (limit of 5 days I think) and they have a yachties book behind the front desk for yachties to sign. Makes for great reading. They also do fantastic meals and twice a week they do cheap nights so you can eat out and not ruin the budget. They also lay on a toilet and shower for the yachties (pay a deposit on the key) and couldn't be more helpful if they tried. We helped paint the wharf whilst we were there to help repay them for the kindness - they supply the paint and brushes etc you just put in the elbow grease.

Yes one of the catches is the bars at each entrance but if you do all the right things (timing, tides and taking care) they aren't all bad. You have simply so much to see and do that it is worth taking your time and doing it properly. The only place we would suggest giving serious thought too is Foster. Both us and some friends of ours were treated exceptionally badly for tying up to the wharf we were directed to tie up too! The coast guard is one of the friendliest there is (there again they all are) and he directed us to tie up on the last wharf before the bridge (a feat in and of itself). There were no signs stating this was private or public or if there was a charge for the use of. Plenty of signs about not discharging in the river which we were very happy to abide with - no problem. The next morning a very officious man came and screamed at me about using an owned wharf and we had to pay the $22 for the night and also a fine ( he didn't tell us how much). OK we were prepared to pay for our mistake but then he got really nasty and as the yacht in front of us was moving he told us to move forward one. OK we did and then he informed us that we had to walk across the bridge and pay for the use of that one at the caravan park. So over we walked and the price was $28! We were met at the door by the manager stating he was just coming over to collect the money from us as the other guy had already rung him and told him we were there and to get our money before we left. We felt very abused - no water, no toilets, no services at all and the wharves were both in very bad repair and we were abused as well. Left a bad taste in our mouths and our friends also received the same treatment just weeks before. They actually left because they were given such a hard time. However I have read other reports and actually spoken to others who had no problem at all although no-one has ever stated that the welcome was welcoming. Its very much pay and stay and don't bother me. Things may have changed alot since then but keep it in mind.

The lower end of the Whitsundays is also wonderful and worth taking the time to do all the islands well! Before you get to charter yacht territory. Oh yes and the run up to Maryborough is well worth the effort too - don't forget to put your mark on the wall at the marina! I hope this helps and that you have a great time.
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 17:48   #11

Boat: Allied Luders 33
a different tack

I cruised the Coral coast years ago from Bundaberg north. What made the trip really different was that we bought an old car and as we sailed up the coast, my husband hopped a bus back to the previous port to retrieve the car. This allowed us to go inland to camp, visit 10 national parks and see lots of Australia most cruisers never get to see. When we left for New Guinea, we sold the car for more than we paid for it.
Lady Circumnavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 18:08   #12

Boat: De Vries cutter-rigged ketch - "lara craig" 38 ft steel
Brisbane to Sydney at the same time

Hi Glenn,

We are planning to deliver a Hunter 46 to Adelaide and will be departing Brisbane to arrive in Sydney over Easter. I am watching these replies to see if i can learn a few tricks. We may even see you on the water going North.

j.j.
john jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 18:35   #13

John,

Stopover at Ulladulla, and I'll shout you a beer.

Old 19-02-2009, 00:14   #14

Boat: motorsailer 17.7oa The Road
Thanks for the info . I just brought my ketch from Adelaide to Syd and am leaving for the whitsundays in late April / early May. I have done the north 2 south trip delivery several times but this wil be my first south - north.
I wish I knew there was a free beer on offer at Ulladulla
Neil
neilrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 20:01   #15

Boat: 'First Steps' 44' Steel Ketch
Coastal swell,

Greetings from Brisbane Waters. We're heading north from Sydney to, well, north! We've just been walloped by the swell. Is it always this bad or can conditions get smoother along this stretch of coastline. Today it's very comparable with the North Atlantic and FlyingVet Jr had his first bout of sea sickness.

Any one with local knowledge around ??

Ta
FlyingVet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
queensland, sydney