Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 18:08   #1

Sydney to Adelaide

Tentatively planning to sail our 44' Chamberlin cat from Sydney to Adelaide next summer. Looking at charts shows a fairly inhospitable shore with few ports.
Would like to hear from anyone with experience re the best months to go as we can be flexible. Also any other tips on this route as there does not seem to be a cruising guide to Victoria. Thanks.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:51   #2

Boat: Van deStadt 34
Re: Sydney to Adelaide

Alan Lucas' NSW guide will get you to Gabo Is. Richard Hawkins has guides to Lakes Entrance, Western Port and Port Phillip, "Explore Victoria's Waterways" is good but out of print. There are some good guides and anchorage books for SA - Boat Books has them all. The SA Cruising Assocation is active and has a good web site.
The timing is debateable but don't forget the winter S, and SW gales and the 12- degC water temperature. In a cat you'd be able to consider Lakes Entrance (LE), Port Albert, Port Welshpool, Refuge Cove, Waratah Bay behind Bird Rocks (if you had to), Western Port E entrance (you won't clear the bridge), Western Port W entrance, Port Phillip, Apollo Bay, Port Fairy, Portland (commercial), Port Macdonnell, Robe, American River (Kangaroo Is) . . . and don't forget the Bass Straight Islands and Tassie. . . The entrances into LE and Port Phillip need particular care but are well worth it.
Have agreat trip. (I've done Melbourne/Sydney several times and Melb/Adelaide once in a cat).
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 13:25   #3

few ports??
really??
there are others that Andrew hasn't mentioned,

anywho.. found a copy of "Explore Victoria's Waterways ( and Bass Strait/Nth Tassie ) for $2 at a community market literally across the road a couple of yrs ago
good read..
chrome dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 18:57   #4
DtM

Can you enlighten us on the other ports please
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:54   #5

Inverloch, ( tough but do-able )
Pt Campbell
Warrnambool,
chrome dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 12:23   #6

Thanks for the input. Regarding timing. Watching weather patterns at the moment it seems there are better NE winds to get you to Melbourne and then SE to get you to Adelaide. What I don't know is if this is unusual (La Nina?) or should we expect this pattern next year in February?
Old 20-02-2012, 20:56   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Jarvis Bay is not tough to get into.
Eden is fine also, in just about any conditions.
Ulladulla and Bermagui, not so much...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 21:34   #8

Boat: 38' Hughes S&S design

Teeto,

we are planning Melb to Adelaide next Summer.

Some comments on other ports along the way-
Warrnambool- Can be shallow if not been dregded. This is no problem for the cat but the swell swings around the breakwater and can be uncomfortable. Also I would only use the pro fishman swing moorings which may not be available. My suggestion is go to Port Fairy
Port Campbell- Can be swelly

IMO Both are suitable if you need to seek shelter but Port Fairy is well protected down the river and Portland has a great harbour and you will get great assistance there from the local Coast Guard and Harbour. Warrnambool is a bigger town with more shops and services but not set up to cater for a visiting boat. However, you can ring the local Council and talk to Don Allen to arrange mooring. He is also part of the local Y.C and may be able to provide more info. Port Fairy is a small "Fishing Village" and is a great place to stop with shops a short walk from river.

Port Macdonnell can have breaking waves. They can break from a long way out as it's quite shallow along that part of the coast. and I would only approach if weather is good and no swell.

A new marina has been constructed at Cape Jaffa. I have not been to the new marina but looks good on website. If someone has more info on the setup there I would be interested to get there opinion. It seems that this might be a good stopping point if Port Mac is not accessable

Beyond Cape Jaffa, you have Kingston, Victor Harbour and then Kangaroo Island and Cape Jervis. From There you can head to Adelaide. I need to look into how accessable Kingston and Victor Harbour are fow a visiting yacht.

Kangaroo Island offers a few anchorages and safe harbours. For fuel and food you could stop at American river but better might be Kingscote.

Scott
scubascooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 22:14   #9

Boat: Selene 59

Not much between Sydney and Jervis Bay.

Jervis Bay has a number of anchorages depending on where the wind is coming from

Ulladulla is easy to get into when calm but fisho's sometimes not friendly

Eden is good - the jetty is good if it is calm or a northerly but stay away if it is south westerly. You can provision here. If it is blowy East Ben Boyd (behind the explosives pier) is good in almost anything but a bit far from town. Wait here for the right weather window, it is most important for the trip across "the paddock" to Wilsons Prom which can be a painful experience if you get caught up in a SW'er. Talk with VMR there and as well as the BOM forecast, ask for the Platforms forecast, it is very good but I think they only read it out on request

The Kent Group is beautiful and good shelter although East Cove on Deal Island is not particularly good holding, West Cove on Erith Island is better. Go for a walk up to the lighthouse.

Refuge Cove on Wilson Prom is also beautiful and bomb proof in SW'ers, swelly in anything from the east.

Melbourne is a long haul if you have no need to stop, a long way to the heads and then 30nm up the bay. If you do go there watch the tides at the heads, it is important to go through either slack water (3 hours after high or low tide) or if neceesary on a flood, but if you do this watch out, the current can run 6 knots so steering can be an issue. Because of the current don't even bother to try on an ebb particularly with any wind from the southern sector. Call Melbourne VTS (Vessel Traffic Services) and they will advise of any commercial vessels entering or leaving.

Apollo Bay is a good stop as long as there is not big swell, which makes the entrance bit risky, depth shouldn't be a problem in a Cat, nice little town

I would give Warranbool a miss, lots of rocks, shallow, very rolly in any sort of swell and a fair hike into town

Port Fairy is a good stop, up the Moyne River, very sheltered and a very pretty town. Shallow on about the first bend but shouldn't worry you

Portand is an all weather commercial port, not attractive but good shelter if you need it.

After that my knowledge runs out

Cheers
Brownie
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 23:24   #10

Thanks bigtime Beuna Vista, exactly the info I wanted. Very much appreciated. Probably doing the trip next January.
Old 15-03-2012, 00:34   #11

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Vista View Post

Ulladulla is easy to get into when calm but fisho's sometimes not friedly
Now thats an understatement, fishing co-op and fisho's at Ulladulla are very unfriendly to yachtie's.

Batemans Bay is a great stop over, remember to enter 2 hours each side of high tide.

Gem of the south coast of NSW is Moruya river, easy to get in on incoming tide, well worth a week or 2 stopover. Look up Wally from the Cat "Dare to Dream"

Bermaguie is not to be missed either, friendly fisho's and fish co-op, with great facilities.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:10   #12

Boat: DUNCANSON 40' PILOTHHOUSE

I'm am looking at sailing from Adelaide to Sydney/Newcastle around November, so appreciate the information. I've worked out of Pt Welshpool, Pt Albert and Lakes Entrance in Victoria and know they are shallow and susceptable to sand shifts. Refugee Cove at Wilson's Prom is a good spot in W or SW weather. Ok in SE to some extent, can have surge. Eden and Jervis Bay are easy and good anchorages. As for the rest, can't offer anything on SA, NSW can involve a lot of Bar crossings which can be precarious. Just watch your tides and swell direction.
Duncanson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:45   #13

Boat: Lightwave 38

The new Cape Jaffa Anchorage Marina is very good. That's the last marina before Marina St Vincent (aka Wirrina). Of course there are other anchorages as noted, just weather dependdent. In particular, Kangaroo Island has three all weather anchorages, Kingscote, Penneshaw and Amercan River. Definitely visit KI if you have time.

Check tides and avoid wind against tide when negotiating Backstairs Passage (coming into Gulf St Vincent.) There is a nasty tidal race off Cape Jervis at times.

Also, I'd advise sailing the south east of SA at night. Too many cray pots just waiting to foul your prop!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruzin View Post

Also, I'd advise sailing the south east of SA at night. Too many cray pots just waiting to foul your prop!
If I'm sailing in an area with known pots, I try to avoid the sailing at night bit. Tend to see them easier in the daylight.

Although I think you meant to say "advise not sailing"
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:51   #15

Boat: Lightwave 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
If I'm sailing in an area with known pots, I try to avoid the sailing at night bit. Tend to see them easier in the daylight.

Although I think you meant to say "advise not sailing"
Yes, advise not sailing that part of SA's coast.

That said, night sailing between Adelaide and Kangaroo Island is to be recommended. Often beautiful offshore winds on flat seas

Tags
sydney