Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 23:02   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
Sydney Harbour Anchoring Map / Clearance

I have charts with anchorage notes but in our travels I have found the maps put out by the relevant port more current for allowable anchorages.

Any AUS sailors know where I can find a map of Sydney Harbour anchorages online or might be willing to snap a picture of a paper one and send it to me?

Basically I am looking for a harbor overview with anchorages marked, perhaps with restrictions on time or whatever noted.

I am also interested to hear from anyone who has personally cleared into the country in Sydney or has a friend who has recently and what their experience was.

Thanks CF community!
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 04:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Sydney Harbour Anchoring Map / Clearance

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...map-sydney.pdf

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ney-93910.html

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/__data...0_30.01.14.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 04:38   #3

Thanks GordMay for trying. Unfortunately I found the same set (and more) in my own searching.

That first link is for mooring ball fields. I have read and took notes on the second. And the last is for cruise (and other big) ships.

Perhaps there isnt an anchoring guide. I should check a few guidebooks but they are always so out of date.
Old 25-10-2015, 05:30   #4

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

NSW Roads and Maritime is the organisation responsible and they have boating maps. While these do not show anchoring areas, they show where you can't. I think these should cover most of what you need.

Boating maps - Maps - Using waterways - Maritime - Roads and Maritime Services

What might be a good idea is use them in conjunction with mooring maps, as you would not want to try and anchor in mooring area.
Old 25-10-2015, 08:11   #5

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I don't think this has what you want, but worth mentioning:
Navionics Webapp

I particularly like the "unexploded ordinance" area...surface use only!
Navionics Webapp

BTW, the entire area looks like a great place for sailboats!!!
(hope the links work)
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 08:17   #6

Boat: Traditional 30

Actually, there are only a few areas you cant anchor. Near Garden island (navy base), Circular Quay (ferry terminal), Darling Harbour and near commercial shipping docks etc. . In summer Nor-easters you will find great anchorages near Taronga Zoo for a great view of the city, opera house, bridge etc.
Peaceful quieter anchorages will be found up Lane Cove river.

On peak occasions (NYE and Aus Day) there will be exclusion zones in place. But mainly that is for traffic rather than anchoring, due to the fireworks barges.

Once you have had enough of the harbour, head up to the Hawksbury River (15-ish Nm nth) . Its a much nicer area surrounded by national park. There is plenty of public transport linking back to the CBD as desired. Some bays on the Hawksbury also have free moorings
http://www.ascensionatsea.com/Austra...refuge-bay.jpg

When you get here, the "most" important thing is to declare, declare, declare. If you have any fresh meats, fruits etc "Border Force" will want to destroy it. So make sure you are really open with them to prevent a fine. They are ok with most tinned and packaged foods. But make sure they have access to all of it. We are one of the few continents without Foot and Mouth, Rabies and lots of other diseases that can affect our unique flora and fauna, so our authorities are anal about what comes in.
The upside of this is they may want to destroy any rubbish you have on board :-D

The same goes for any untreated wood you may pick up on some beach at some other country on the way. The general rule of thumb is Varnished wood is usually ok. Raw woods, cane, straw etc isnt. But as long as you declare it, there is no fine. They will just let you know if it needs to be destroyed or whether to put it back in the locker.

Some links
Best Anchorages | Maritimo Sydney
Sydney —
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 12:17   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 33

Livia,
I recently read that 48 visitor moorings are available within Sydney harbour and our local maritime service these regularly. They are indicated by a pink mooring buoy. Information may be available through the Sydney Marine Rescue site. On the Central Coast area just north of Sydney where I reside the local Marine Rescue provide details of visitor moorings on their site with Lat/Long. Make sure you visit the Hawkesbury/Broken Bay, exceptionally scenic with many sheltered mooring area's.
Fair winds, Colin
OzClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 12:33   #8

Wanderlust - That was exactly what I was looking for! Those maps have lots of anchoring notes and also oublic dock access ooints, very useful for a visitor!

Ozclipper and ozskipper - Thanks for that info. Very useful. I am sure we will explore outside the harbor so I am keeping your notes.

If you dont mind I might PM you guys after we arrive, clear and set up a travel SIM or other internet.
Old 25-10-2015, 14:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

Hi Livia, I think previous posts have it pretty well covered. We've spent many nights up in Middle Harbour at both Sugarloaf Bay & Bantry Bay. Both very peaceful and safe anchorages. There are a number of public moorings at both but gets very busy weekends. As stated earlier only issue is being dependant on the Spit Bridge opening times. It's quite narrow on the harbour side and can get very congested on the weekends as everyone lines up to get through. Lots of suicide kayakers as well to watch for. Our local water police frown upon running over these guys!! Worth noting that in Sydney Harbour all public moorings are controlled by Waterways and as someone said they are pink. If you venture up into the Broken Bay / Hawkesbury area they fall under the control of our National Parks & Wildlife people and are yellow in colour. Very safe anchoring up that way with mostly mud bottom to bury the pick in. We're now permanently up that way at Careel Bay in Pittwater and rairly venture back down to the harbour. Worth noting clearance under the railway bridge at Brooklyn on the Hawkesbury is only about 11.5 mts (38'). Feel free to give us a yell if you venture up that way. cheers
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 18:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Wanderlust - That was exactly what I was looking for! Those maps have lots of anchoring notes and also oublic dock access ooints, very useful for a visitor!

Ozclipper and ozskipper - Thanks for that info. Very useful. I am sure we will explore outside the harbor so I am keeping your notes.

If you dont mind I might PM you guys after we arrive, clear and set up a travel SIM or other internet.
Hi Livia. For sure, feel free to contact me if needed. Can exchange emails/phone numbers via Pm if needed.

There are three main Telcos here, with some smaller ones who wholesale through the big three.
Cheapest Sims will be from Vodaphone or Optus.
Best reception sims, but most expensive, will be through Telstra. They are an easy 20% dearer in general, but given the size of our country and relatively small population, their network is quite good.
Old 25-10-2015, 23:08   #11

Boat: Hunter 44DS

If you get tired of all the rocking around in Sydney Harbour I always anchor up the Lane Cove River near the high cliff on southern side. Great protection from most winds
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 00:23   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Worth noting clearance under the railway bridge at Brooklyn on the Hawkesbury is only about 11.5 mts (38').
I'm thinking of taking a cruise down that way this summer and the Hawkesbury River upstream of the railway bridge appears a very interesting place. Do you know the extent of overhead hazards upstream of the bridge and the clearances?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 03:35   #13

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

....for the BEST anchorage overnight in glorious Sydney Harbour....
Farm Cove..... the Sydney Opera House is 50 m distant.
.....the Sydney Harbour Bridge 500 m " .
.....surrounded by the Royal Botanical Gardens.
.....and the Sydney C.B.D. highrise.
.....and faces toward the Australian Prime Minister's
residence.
...... anchor in the centre.....the harbour cruise boats
travel a circuit next to the Gardens sea wall.

....it is permissible to pick up an empty mooring.....but do not leave your vessel...and surrender the mooring (nicely) upon the owners request...,

.....the best place for a big stores shop is Birkenhead Marina.....a shopping trolley can be wheeled to your berth.

..... and to second the Pittwater/Broken Bay recommendation.....just 30km
from the Sydney C.B.D......it is possible to have a beach to yourself...and hardly a light at night.

and if you like Sydney......keep it a secret.

grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 04:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I'm thinking of taking a cruise down that way this summer and the Hawkesbury River upstream of the railway bridge appears a very interesting place. Do you know the extent of overhead hazards upstream of the bridge and the clearances?
Its pretty deep for most of the way you would want to go. The major obstacle to yachts is the "cabled" car ferry at the town of Wisemans Ferry. That is some distance upriver however.

http://www.visitsydneyaustralia.com....mans-Ferry.jpg
Old 26-10-2015, 05:03   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Colin, & grahamb.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, sydney