Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 08:44   #16

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa
Re: Sydney Harbour Anchoring Map / Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I'm thinking of taking a cruise down that way this summer and the Hawkesbury River upstream of the railway bridge appears a very interesting place. Do you know the extent of overhead hazards upstream of the bridge and the clearances?
G'day RaymondR
I took our Marauder 27 with an air draft of 11.3m up the Hawkesbury River all the way to Windsor several years ago. If you can get under the railway bridge 11.5m high water springs then it is possible to explore this area. However a 39foot boat is likely to have a much higher mast unless in a tabernacle and able to be lowered.
The river is tidal all the way to Windsor and there is enough depth for a yacht as long as you stay to the outside of bends.
It is quite scenic to Wisemans Ferry with sandstone cliffs and little habitation. Past this point it becomes much less scenic meandering through low fields. Avoid the weekends since there are many water ski boats around some of whom take great delight in spraying you with water. Perhaps it is just their friendly gesture to cool off yachties on hot days.
Once under the rail bridge there is the M1 road bridge 11.8m to contend with and thereafter a number of high tension power lines that are much higher.
If you cannot get under the rail bridge there is still a lot of waterway up Cowan Creek and Pittwater to visit. It is 60 NM from the mouth of the Hawkesbury to Windsor. Alan Lucas book on the Hawksbury gives a lot of detail with maps.
Enjoy.
Michael
Old 26-10-2015, 18:29   #17
DtM

[....it is permissible to pick up an empty mooring.....but do not leave your vessel...and surrender the mooring (nicely) upon the owners request...,

and if you like Sydney......keep it a secret.

While it is true that picking up empty moorings is very common practice note that it is an offence that gets you a $250 fine if the owner is a real nark and reports you to the RMS. True even if you give the mooring up nicely on request. Guess how I know !!!!!

The pink public moorings technically have a 24 hour limit on them. I have never seen RMS do anything about it but just a note.

........ and yes keep Sydney and Pittwater a secret.

Enjoy
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 19:22   #18

Boat: Mustang 3800

And of course don't forget to come and visit the one and only Gods country. Tassie
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 21:14   #19

Boat: Currently boatless

Even though we are 35' our high aspect ratio rig wont let us past the Railway bridge, but the rest of the region looks lovely.

And thanks for the CBD recs and mooring ball notes.

I recently noted that the lat/long given by the Border authority for yacht clearance in Sydney, in Neutral Bay, is on land. Noonsite suggests there is a quarantine buoy but gives the same lat/long. I suppose we will see it (and we will call in as rquested on 16VHF on arrival) but does anyone know its whereabouts?

It is a bit ambitious of us to point at Sydney for first landfall and if the weather doesnt cooperate we will have to make landfall further North and work our way down.

And I promise not to be anymore public about Sydney than posting on CF
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 21:20   #20

Well nevermind, I had emailed the Port Authority with my question and rcived a most prompt and detailed response, The location of the Neutral Bay clearance berth was given as 33°50.490'S, 151°13.043'E.

I am off to plot that now.
Old 26-10-2015, 23:04   #21

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Even though we are 35' our high aspect ratio rig wont let us past the Railway bridge, but the rest of the region looks lovely.

And thanks for the CBD recs and mooring ball notes.

I recently noted that the lat/long given by the Border authority for yacht clearance in Sydney, in Neutral Bay, is on land. Noonsite suggests there is a quarantine buoy but gives the same lat/long. I suppose we will see it (and we will call in as rquested on 16VHF on arrival) but does anyone know its whereabouts?

It is a bit ambitious of us to point at Sydney for first landfall and if the weather doesnt cooperate we will have to make landfall further North and work our way down.

And I promise not to be anymore public about Sydney than posting on CF
Most important, you MUST give 96 hrs notice prior to arrival and best to arrive during the working week, cheaper than paying overtime charges for AQIS.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 00:22   #22

Boat: Dufour 310

Generally agreed that Coffs Harbour is a good place to clear, smaller and easier.

Sent from my G630-U251 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 16:24   #23

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
Generally agreed that Coffs Harbour is a good place to clear, smaller and easier.

Sent from my G630-U251 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I have heard that too. Though somewhat more expensive if the its a timber vessel, as the "wood inspection team" (or whatever they are called) arent located there.

Someone else may be able to confirm that. But I remember reading it here a while back.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 16:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
Generally agreed that Coffs Harbour is a good place to clear, smaller and easier
I have heard that same thing said about Coffs and Newcastle but I have never heard any specifics about complications or hassles from anyone clearing in Sydney. Always makes me curious if it is reality or one of the infamous "cruiser rumors" that circulate without basis. Do you have any inside info?
Old 27-10-2015, 19:27   #25
DtM

Newcastle is a much safer harbour than Coffs. Also much better facilities.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Its pretty deep for most of the way you would want to go. The major obstacle to yachts is the "cabled" car ferry at the town of Wisemans Ferry. That is some distance upriver however.

http://www.visitsydneyaustralia.com....mans-Ferry.jpg
it's your airdraft that stops that oz, at the railway bridge
Longy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 12:46   #27

Boat: Imexus 28

Hi Longy You need to check the last post date before replying to threads. Don’t stress, I was once a newbie to posting as well and fell for the old thread trick!
You post did however alert me to some interesting info I hadn’t seen previously so thankyou for that.
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 14:19   #28

And because this thread is alive again - I thought I would put some updated info up.

I cleared in at Sydney about a week ago. Fantastically quick. They were all waiting for us on check in. Biosecurity folks were the only ones that had any costs to it. Otherwise, we tied to the dock. Did most of the paperwork over the rail. They had three (yes, three!) drug dogs through - some sort of training thing. Then they were done. Thirty minutes give or take. Quick, friendly and reasonable. Would recommend - but have a vaccuum for the dog hair.
Sailingallday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 20:27   #29

Boat: Switch 51

Can be a little traumatic anchoring in the main harbour December 26th also ... Best avoided. Fine if you keep the boat moving and outside what will be many dozens of new yellow buoys that might have sprouted overnight.
AndyOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, sydney