Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 22:21   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Can anyone shed light on spending the hurricane season cruising between Brisbane and Sydney? I'm trying to get a gauge on general enjoyability, but would be nice to get some opinions on the Weather, Anchorages, Destinations, Dos and Dont's?

(And maybe just north of Brisbane, I'm obviously trying to avoid tropical storms and hurricanes)

Its likely I won't get comprehensive insurance so marinas are probably out of the question. (I'm trying now from Fiji for my 1980 Pearson 323)

Thank you.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 22:41   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Can anyone shed light on spending the hurricane season cruising between Brisbane and Sydney? I'm trying to get a gauge on general enjoyability, but would be nice to get some opinions on the Weather, Anchorages, Destinations, Dos and Dont's?

(And maybe just north of Brisbane, I'm obviously trying to avoid tropical storms and hurricanes)

Its likely I won't get comprehensive insurance so marinas are probably out of the question. (I'm trying now from Fiji for my 1980 Pearson 323)

Thank you.
Do you need comprehensive insurance or would third party suffice.?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 23:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Do you need comprehensive insurance or would third party suffice.?

Every marina I've contacted requires comprehensive $10million coverage.
Old 20-07-2017, 23:34   #4

Totally viable to spend the cyclone season cruising southern Qld and NSW. You can extend that to Tasmania too.

There's nothing to especially watch out for, except that many NSW ports have bar crossings at their entries. Just a matter of selecting the right weather, and timing your arrival to suit the tides.

There's absolutely no need to stay at marinas, there are plenty of excellent anchorages, many options for fuel and provisioning, and water is available in lots of places.

There's loads to see and do, you could easily spend a few summers just exploring Sydney and it's neighboring waterways.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 23:35   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
that seems odd, for we only have third party (10 megabucs) and that has sufficed in every marina and yard that we've been in, from Tasmania to Brisbane this year. I would check again.

And do consider going to Tasmania for the summer months (Jan through Mar). One of the world's best cruising grounds! And a bit off the yellow brick road, too.

Jim
Old 20-07-2017, 23:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Totally viable to spend the cyclone season cruising southern Qld and NSW. You can extend that to Tasmania too.

There's nothing to especially watch out for, except that many NSW ports have bar crossings at their entries. Just a matter of selecting the right weather, and timing your arrival to suit the tides.

There's absolutely no need to stay at marinas, there are plenty of excellent anchorages, many options for fuel and provisioning, and water is available in lots of places.

There's loads to see and do, you could easily spend a few summers just exploring Sydney and it's neighboring waterways.

Right on, I'm pretty excited to stay for the summer, I was on the express route to Darwin, but realize I'd like to relax and actually cruise.

Thank you
Old 20-07-2017, 23:52   #7

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
It's not "comprehensive" coverage, but liability coverage.

Most all the marinas in the state of Queensland require proof of you holding $A10 million liability coverage.

That includes coverage for property damage (to the marina and any associated boat yard), personal injury, and collision damage.
Old 20-07-2017, 23:56   #8

Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
that seems odd, for we only have third party (10 megabucs) and that has sufficed in every marina and yard that we've been in, from Tasmania to Brisbane this year. I would check again.

And do consider going to Tasmania for the summer months (Jan through Mar). One of the world's best cruising grounds! And a bit off the yellow brick road, too.

Jim

I've checked with all of the ones in Brisbane and each said comprehensive 10 megabucks
Could it be foreign yachts vs domestic? Not sure where you are registered...

At this point I'm opening up to many options, I just have to take some time to adjust my plans and timing since I'm extending my route a year. And the best place for feedback/suggestions/advice has to be right here on CF!

Thanks
Old 21-07-2017, 00:01   #9

Quote:
Three or four violent weather events to look for:

1.tropical cyclones

2. hybrid cyclones

3. extratropical cyclones aka east coast lows

4. destructive thunderstorms

On #1 & 2 in Queensland, see: Tropical Cyclones in Queensland

On #3 in Queensland and New South Wales, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_east_coast_low
Old 21-07-2017, 00:08   #10

Quote:
I've checked with all of the ones in Brisbane and each said comprehensive 10 megabucks
Could it be foreign yachts vs domestic? Not sure where you are registered...
We have often stayed at the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club marina in Manly. Today we signed a contract to slip the boat at the Boatworks in Coomera. They both required evidence of at least third party insurance. Perhaps there is a confusion of terms here, I dunno. And we are USA rego,fwiw.

Jim
Old 21-07-2017, 00:11   #11

Quote:
With your Pearson's draft (about 1.4 m, right?) you are set up to enjoy the bays and passages formed by the sand islands of southern Queensland (especially: K'gari, formerly known as Fraser Island and the Great Sandy Strait; Moreton Island; and the islands of southern Moreton Bay stretching down to Gold Coast City).

I would suggest equipping yourself with the Queensland tide tables (a 4.5 MB pdf download): https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Tides/Tide-tables.

You might also enjoy the Beacon to Beacon chartlets - a set of pdf chartlets (not GPS-registered) showing beacons, buoys, anchorages, and so on. Free download from Maritime Safety Queensland (a govt agency) See:
https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Boating-maps
Old 21-07-2017, 00:14   #12

Quote:
You might also enjoy the Beacon to Beacon chartlets - a set of pdf chartlets (not GPS-registered) showing beacons, buoys, anchorages, and so on. Free download from Maritime Safety Queensland (a govt agency) See:
https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Boating-maps
Great detail, but no depths shown, making them pretty useless for yachts... designed for tinnies, etc, I think.

Jim
Old 21-07-2017, 00:32   #13

Quote:
Great detail, but no depths shown, making them pretty useless for yachts... designed for tinnies, etc, I think.
You're a great ball of negativity, Jim. And incorrect.

The Beacon to Beacon charlets are colour coded to indicate depth:
white = >5 m depth at LAT
pale blue = >2 m but <5 m
mid blue = 1 - 2 m
darker blue = 0 - 1 m at LAT

I'll try attaching the legend as Beacon to Beacon depth colours.jpg
Old 21-07-2017, 00:53   #14

Boat: Outbound 44

When I checked at Bundaberg it was Third Party insurance that was required at ausd$10 million. Seems crazy high, but it is what it is.
Old 21-07-2017, 01:14   #15

Quote:
We have often stayed at the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club marina in Manly. Today we signed a contract to slip the boat at the Boatworks in Coomera. They both required evidence of at least third party insurance. Perhaps there is a confusion of terms here, I dunno. And we are USA rego,fwiw.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
It's not "comprehensive" coverage, but liability coverage.

Most all the marinas in the state of Queensland require proof of you holding $A10 million liability coverage.

That includes coverage for property damage (to the marina and any associated boat yard), personal injury, and collision damage.

I think both of you are right, I must have been putting different bits of information together, I was told that many marinas required "comprehensive", and then when I saw insurance mentioned, I automatically made the association. I'll double check with the marinas.

Tags
brisbane, cruising, sydney