Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 22:21   #1
Registered User
 
theway's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Posts: 471
Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Can anyone shed light on spending the hurricane season cruising between Brisbane and Sydney? I'm trying to get a gauge on general enjoyability, but would be nice to get some opinions on the Weather, Anchorages, Destinations, Dos and Dont's?

(And maybe just north of Brisbane, I'm obviously trying to avoid tropical storms and hurricanes)

Its likely I won't get comprehensive insurance so marinas are probably out of the question. (I'm trying now from Fiji for my 1980 Pearson 323)

Thank you.
__________________

theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 22:41   #2
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 864
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Can anyone shed light on spending the hurricane season cruising between Brisbane and Sydney? I'm trying to get a gauge on general enjoyability, but would be nice to get some opinions on the Weather, Anchorages, Destinations, Dos and Dont's?

(And maybe just north of Brisbane, I'm obviously trying to avoid tropical storms and hurricanes)

Its likely I won't get comprehensive insurance so marinas are probably out of the question. (I'm trying now from Fiji for my 1980 Pearson 323)

Thank you.
Do you need comprehensive insurance or would third party suffice.?
__________________

__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 23:29   #3
Registered User
 
theway's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Posts: 471
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Do you need comprehensive insurance or would third party suffice.?


Every marina I've contacted requires comprehensive $10million coverage.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 23:34   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,949
Images: 69
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Totally viable to spend the cyclone season cruising southern Qld and NSW. You can extend that to Tasmania too.

There's nothing to especially watch out for, except that many NSW ports have bar crossings at their entries. Just a matter of selecting the right weather, and timing your arrival to suit the tides.

There's absolutely no need to stay at marinas, there are plenty of excellent anchorages, many options for fuel and provisioning, and water is available in lots of places.

There's loads to see and do, you could easily spend a few summers just exploring Sydney and it's neighboring waterways.
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 23:35   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 12,339
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Every marina I've contacted requires comprehensive $10million coverage.
that seems odd, for we only have third party (10 megabucs) and that has sufficed in every marina and yard that we've been in, from Tasmania to Brisbane this year. I would check again.

And do consider going to Tasmania for the summer months (Jan through Mar). One of the world's best cruising grounds! And a bit off the yellow brick road, too.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Pittwater, NSW fora while.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 23:51   #6
Registered User
 
theway's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Posts: 471
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Totally viable to spend the cyclone season cruising southern Qld and NSW. You can extend that to Tasmania too.

There's nothing to especially watch out for, except that many NSW ports have bar crossings at their entries. Just a matter of selecting the right weather, and timing your arrival to suit the tides.

There's absolutely no need to stay at marinas, there are plenty of excellent anchorages, many options for fuel and provisioning, and water is available in lots of places.

There's loads to see and do, you could easily spend a few summers just exploring Sydney and it's neighboring waterways.


Right on, I'm pretty excited to stay for the summer, I was on the express route to Darwin, but realize I'd like to relax and actually cruise.

Thank you
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 23:52   #7
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scarborough Boat Harbour, Moreton Bay
Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP masthead cutter
Posts: 869
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Every marina I've contacted requires comprehensive $10million coverage.
It's not "comprehensive" coverage, but liability coverage.

Most all the marinas in the state of Queensland require proof of you holding $A10 million liability coverage.

That includes coverage for property damage (to the marina and any associated boat yard), personal injury, and collision damage.
__________________
“Fools say that you can only gain experience at your own expense, but I have always contrived to gain my experience at the expense of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 23:56   #8
Registered User
 
theway's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Posts: 471
Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
that seems odd, for we only have third party (10 megabucs) and that has sufficed in every marina and yard that we've been in, from Tasmania to Brisbane this year. I would check again.



And do consider going to Tasmania for the summer months (Jan through Mar). One of the world's best cruising grounds! And a bit off the yellow brick road, too.



Jim


I've checked with all of the ones in Brisbane and each said comprehensive 10 megabucks
Could it be foreign yachts vs domestic? Not sure where you are registered...

At this point I'm opening up to many options, I just have to take some time to adjust my plans and timing since I'm extending my route a year. And the best place for feedback/suggestions/advice has to be right here on CF!

Thanks
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:01   #9
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scarborough Boat Harbour, Moreton Bay
Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP masthead cutter
Posts: 869
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
(And maybe just north of Brisbane, I'm obviously trying to avoid tropical storms and hurricanes)
Three or four violent weather events to look for:

1.tropical cyclones

2. hybrid cyclones

3. extratropical cyclones aka east coast lows

4. destructive thunderstorms

On #1 & 2 in Queensland, see: Tropical Cyclones in Queensland

On #3 in Queensland and New South Wales, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_east_coast_low
__________________
“Fools say that you can only gain experience at your own expense, but I have always contrived to gain my experience at the expense of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:08   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 12,339
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
I've checked with all of the ones in Brisbane and each said comprehensive 10 megabucks
Could it be foreign yachts vs domestic? Not sure where you are registered...
We have often stayed at the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club marina in Manly. Today we signed a contract to slip the boat at the Boatworks in Coomera. They both required evidence of at least third party insurance. Perhaps there is a confusion of terms here, I dunno. And we are USA rego,fwiw.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Pittwater, NSW fora while.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:11   #11
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scarborough Boat Harbour, Moreton Bay
Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP masthead cutter
Posts: 869
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Can anyone shed light on spending the hurricane season cruising between Brisbane and Sydney? I'm trying to get a gauge on general enjoyability, but would be nice to get some opinions on the Weather, Anchorages, Destinations, Dos and Dont's?
With your Pearson's draft (about 1.4 m, right?) you are set up to enjoy the bays and passages formed by the sand islands of southern Queensland (especially: K'gari, formerly known as Fraser Island and the Great Sandy Strait; Moreton Island; and the islands of southern Moreton Bay stretching down to Gold Coast City).

I would suggest equipping yourself with the Queensland tide tables (a 4.5 MB pdf download): https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Tides/Tide-tables.

You might also enjoy the Beacon to Beacon chartlets - a set of pdf chartlets (not GPS-registered) showing beacons, buoys, anchorages, and so on. Free download from Maritime Safety Queensland (a govt agency) See:
https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Boating-maps
__________________
“Fools say that you can only gain experience at your own expense, but I have always contrived to gain my experience at the expense of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:14   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 12,339
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
You might also enjoy the Beacon to Beacon chartlets - a set of pdf chartlets (not GPS-registered) showing beacons, buoys, anchorages, and so on. Free download from Maritime Safety Queensland (a govt agency) See:
https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Boating-maps
Great detail, but no depths shown, making them pretty useless for yachts... designed for tinnies, etc, I think.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Pittwater, NSW fora while.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:32   #13
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scarborough Boat Harbour, Moreton Bay
Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP masthead cutter
Posts: 869
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Great detail, but no depths shown, making them pretty useless for yachts... designed for tinnies, etc, I think.
You're a great ball of negativity, Jim. And incorrect.

The Beacon to Beacon charlets are colour coded to indicate depth:
white = >5 m depth at LAT
pale blue = >2 m but <5 m
mid blue = 1 - 2 m
darker blue = 0 - 1 m at LAT

I'll try attaching the legend as Beacon to Beacon depth colours.jpg
__________________
“Fools say that you can only gain experience at your own expense, but I have always contrived to gain my experience at the expense of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:53   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 5,358
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

When I checked at Bundaberg it was Third Party insurance that was required at ausd$10 million. Seems crazy high, but it is what it is.
__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 01:14   #15
Registered User
 
theway's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Posts: 471
Re: Summer Cruising Brisbane and Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
We have often stayed at the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club marina in Manly. Today we signed a contract to slip the boat at the Boatworks in Coomera. They both required evidence of at least third party insurance. Perhaps there is a confusion of terms here, I dunno. And we are USA rego,fwiw.

Jim


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
It's not "comprehensive" coverage, but liability coverage.



Most all the marinas in the state of Queensland require proof of you holding $A10 million liability coverage.



That includes coverage for property damage (to the marina and any associated boat yard), personal injury, and collision damage.


I think both of you are right, I must have been putting different bits of information together, I was told that many marinas required "comprehensive", and then when I saw insurance mentioned, I automatically made the association. I'll double check with the marinas.
__________________

theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brisbane, cruising, sydney

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sydney to Brisbane - When to Go ? Dame.n.Jess Pacific & South China Sea 15 10-01-2017 16:37
Crew Wanted: Brisbane to Sydney then Phillip island Peter Brown Crew Archives 7 15-09-2013 03:40
Want To Buy: Charts - Sydney to Brisbane lamita Classifieds Archive 19 15-10-2012 07:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.