Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-03-2010, 17:06   #16

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,signet20,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
just do it,personally never sail with out at least 1/double handed,three if possible, cant see why any body would want to sail alone,unless had nagging wife for many years!!!(marridge the only war where you sleep with the enemy).
half the fun is having good crew........
but you will never know if you dont go.................

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 07:45   #17

I knew a few single handers on the Panama to NZ trip. They didn't have insurance. If you're worried about 'not being allowed into marinas' think again - there are hardly any at all - you're going to spend the vast majority of your time on the hook.

YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:12   #18

Boat: Able 50
The Pacific is way more primitive than you may realise. There is not a single marina in Marshalls, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Solomons, Vanuatu. There are a few in Fiji and New Caledonia but only in the capital.

Just go. There are solo sailors everywhere, in every kind of boat and on every budget imaginable.

Your first two jobs before going are to
(i) fit the boat with either AIS with an alarm (Vesper is the only one) or radar with an alarm or both
(ii) decide whether you want to go via Hawaii or Tahiti and start buying charts and/or chips

You must then set your timetable with a view to avoiding cyclones. That means crossing the equator no earlier than 1 May and getting out of cyclone territory no later than 1 December. In Australia, that is anywhere south of Bundaberg.

Your sleep regime must be established but for some people that only works by trial and error. Your call there. I can only tell you what works for me. I set my alarm for 3 hours and on waking take a good look around. Then I set the alarm for 5 am and go back to bed. I could sail like that for months and arrive in port feeling great.

There are no books that are solo specific. The best general book is Clay's. Combine that with a selection of Lonely Planet guides and you will have all you need.

savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: