Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 12:17   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
SoCal Charter

Hey all,

Just trying to get some reliable info on the charter market in SoCal specifically LA or San Diego. Does anyone here have or know someone with a yacht in a charter fleet. Been talking to a charter companies about putting a boat in their fleet and some of the numbers seem to be a little too good to be true. I am under no illusions that a boat would actually make money as they claim but if it defrayed the cost to a more manageable amount that would be ok with me. Currently looking at a 49 Bene short sale.

How many days of rental is reasonably expected for a new "premium" monohull in SoCal. The charter company says 100 days is possible however 30 would be my expectation.

Any thoughts good or bad?

Thanks Will
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 22:20   #2

Boat: Still looking...
Re: SoCAL Charter

Hello Clipper 4730,
I have posed a similar post to yours and am curious as to any feedback you have received. did you take the plunge? How are things shaping up? I am in the process if buying a IP 350 and am thinking about trying to defray some/much of the cos tthrough charter. Would be great to hear about an experiences you have had and learn from each other.

FastLouie
FastLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 07:22   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

I had a boat in charter in SF Bay. It was a J105 and the most popular in the fleet. I think we got of less than 6 days a month. In the summer things were good in the winter not so much. It never paid for its mortgage but covered all of the expenses.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 13:15   #4

Boat: Still looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I had a boat in charter in SF Bay. It was a J105 and the most popular in the fleet. I think we got of less than 6 days a month. In the summer things were good in the winter not so much. It never paid for its mortgage but covered all of the expenses.
Thanks for the input Charlie! If ou don't mind me being too nosy, do you remember about how many charters per month and what the average duration was - day sails, 2-3 day bareboat, etc? if you only got to use your boat 6 days/mo. the charter Co. must have taken all the profit!. I'm hpoing we are getting a good deal with 70% of the charter fees returnd to us - the rest is to cover cleaning, maint (break/fix) - what's left goes to the charer operator.
FastLouie
FastLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 09:39   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: SoCal Charter

The deal that I had was 50/50 on charter fees. I paid for all of the maintenance, slip fees, insurance, they supplied fuel. I looked it over and I had all day charters or classes The most I had in one month was 16 the least I had was 6. The net results covered maintenance, slip fees and part of insurance. It sounds like you are getting a good deal but I would speak with other people who have had boats in this program because it seems to me that there is a not a profit in it for the company so that short cuts maybe taken with your maintenance.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter