Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 11:07   #1

So . . . Hawaii . . . What Gives ?

Never really gave much thought of going there but the job market seems good (for what I do), it's pretty, it's in the middle of the ocean, etc, etc.

What's the mooring/anchoring/marina situation out there? If someone wanted to park a boat for a year on the cheap (anchoring is fine / preferred) in a sheltered area how would that work?

I'm sure it varies island by island but are there are any token words of wisdom in general?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 12:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Re: so.... Hawaii .... what gives?

From what I hear, the mooring situation sucks as the state let most of the marinas go to hell.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 12:21   #3

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

I only know Maui, go couple times a year. Moorage is available, live aboard? Some boats for sale. Good winds. Lots of people. somewhat expensive cost of living. Beautiful. Isolated but with international population. Did I say beautiful, again. UPS from mainland and back expensive. Paradise. If you want to sample island life without loosing the American way of life (mass consumerism) it could be you calling.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 12:23   #4

This might help you a bit: Hawaii Ocean Industry, Harbor and Ramp Facilities

Inquire about permission for a mooring ball in Kaneohe bay. It's been over 15 years, so I haven't a clue what the situation is today.

Stay away from Keehi Lagoon. You will find space available, and the price will seem right, but theft is definitely a problem.

If you don't mind being out of town, Haleiwa is worth a look.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 13:34   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

rh-
Think about Hawaii for a minute. Volcanic islands, and volcanos don't build many harbors. Tourist paradise, so everyone wants to be there and folks with much more money than we have, have already bought up all the good stuff. And they don't want po folks cluttering up the view. Then you've got what's left of the ethnic Hawaiians (who tend to forget, they all came from somewhere else too, and they were only unified by years of war and a warlord) not wanting more mainlanders crowding them out.
Oh, and everything including the gas for your car and the car itself, has to come by air freight or sea freight, "KA-CHING!".
It is a very expensive place to live, and there are very few places to keep boats--considering that a lot of folks might want to keep a boat! Sort of like looking for a gaage spot in Manhattan. Yeah, there are some, but as the old line about yachts goes, if you have to ask what it costs...<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:58   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha,
Do a search in the search engine after my signature using Hawaii or Cruising Hawaii. Lots of discussions already and some phone numbers. I can tell you about the Big Island. No liveaboards. I don't have much current info about the other islands but Ko Olina is a marina that I'd check into.
Good luck in your search.
Just saw the link that Aussie posted and that's pretty good but it doesn't talk much about liveaboard. The phone numbers are still good although many of the names have changed.
kind regards,
Old 26-02-2011, 19:38   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

We almost move to the Big Island on the Hilo side. It was the only place we could afford and was actually reasonable .... at least the real estate was. But Thailand came along and was much cheaper and offered more sailing opportunities.

While looking at Hawaii we of course checked out the marinas, liveaboard situation, etc. ... really didn't find anything. Sailing-wise, it seems like a good place to pass through and that's about it.

Agree with hellosailor about the expensive of living there and the situation with the ethnic Hawaiians (we had an unpleasant encounter with one). Don't get me wrong, every place has its pluses and minuses. We loved the Big Island (Hilo area) and would consider living on land there but not as liveaboards.
Old 26-02-2011, 20:27   #8

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Hilo harbor is not too bad most of teh time. IT is not the Kona Coast or Mauii. Prices and peole are much more reasonable there. The 'Big' island is much better for a criuser than any others. Have friends there, friends who have lived there and are here now in US. Thniking of going there and spending some time on the hook. It is do-able.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 11:19   #9

Just remember that liveaboards are legally not allowed on the Hilo side except for some transient situations and the state has become very less lenient in that regard in the last year.
Call some of those numbers on Aussie's list to find out the legal scoop.
kind regards,
Old 27-02-2011, 11:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Just remember that liveaboards are legally not allowed on the Hilo side except for some transient situations and the state has become very less lenient in that regard in the last year.
Call some of those numbers on Aussie's list to find out the legal scoop.
kind regards,

I would just anchor there as my friends have a guest room waiting for me.... Lots of places are getting hard on the time you can stay at anchor in their AOI
Old 01-03-2011, 11:10   #11

Ok now we've established that you won't be a liveaboard. Call the numbers for Hawaii Island to see how long the waiting list is for a mooring. Transient moorings can be had for 90 days in each calendar year.
Good luck and hope you can make it over.
kind regards,
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12   #12

Rebel Heart. You still here?
kind regards,
Old 01-03-2011, 19:14   #13

Re: So . . . Hawaii . . . What Gives ?

OK, I understand your post. No I will not be staying anywhere that long. I gots very itchy feet and I want to see the world again from a different view than last time.
Old 01-03-2011, 19:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Rebel Heart. You still here?
kind regards,
Yeah, I'm still here! I think I got the general vibe of the place. Somewhat available transient moorings, liveaboard stuff is the same status (and pricing) as Southern California, and it rains (boooooo).

My knowledge and geography of Hawaii is pretty lacking and for the most part I'd be going there to get away from the cyclone belt and to pick up a job, the latter of which might dictate what island I would end up on. The whole "lots of open roadsteads" thing bothers me a bit, but such is life.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 00:06   #15

Re: So . . . Hawaii . . . What Gives ?

Its hard to describe the sailing here. There are no big bays like San Diego. Very few places you can just day sail to and tie up to have dinner or cocktails. Each Island is at least an overnight sail and some require going through a nasty channel. The weather is a lot more humid but it truly is beautiful. It does rain. The most rain you'll get will be here where I am. Average is 120" a year but everything is green and orchids are natural. You get about 6" a year if I remember San Diego right.
kind regards,

Tags
hawaii