Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 01:49   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Singapore

I'm in Singapore for about 10 days. First time I've ever been here -- I've spent very little time in Asia. It's quite a shock being here right on the equator, coming from Finland at above 60 degrees N.

Anyone have any tips for yachting-related activities here? I thought about a short bareboat charter, but it seems to be against Singapore law or something. I guess Singapore waters are quite limited, considering the small size of the state.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 03:35   #2

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Singapore

Goodness, you do get around. Hope someone is watching the boat while you wander. Merry Christmas, hope Santa can find you down there.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 05:38   #3

Boat: Moody 376

If you fancy a round the cans race on New Year's Day, then head down to Changi sailing club. Details on the website. Someone will have space aboard.

You can ask for me, James Sharpe. Cheers.
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 05:57   #4

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm in Singapore for about 10 days. First time I've ever been here -- I've spent very little time in Asia. It's quite a shock being here right on the equator, coming from Finland at above 60 degrees N.

Anyone have any tips for yachting-related activities here? I thought about a short bareboat charter, but it seems to be against Singapore law or something. I guess Singapore waters are quite limited, considering the small size of the state.
Merry Xmas mate,

If you navigate at all in command of a vessel in Singapore waters (except to arrive direct to one single port from another country and leave to another country direct again) you are required to sit an exam which is quite taxing, as it is timed and includes many arcane questions about local Singaporean navigational regulations and restrictions, which are really qutie Byzantine. The waters are SUPER crowded, and heavily patrolled, with very restricted waters for any kind of watersport activity at all. The Raffles and One Degree 15 marinas are your best bet to get out on the water under sail, and as another poster said there are regular small regattas, especially out of Raffles, in the West of the island. You could look at possibly going over to the marina on the indonesian side (by fast ferry), which may have more options.

In any case, enjoy! And… not nautical but a visit to the orchid section of the botanical gardens is seriously worth it, if nothing else.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 15:12   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Goodness, you do get around. Hope someone is watching the boat while you wander. Merry Christmas, hope Santa can find you down there.
Thanks! My boat is in good hands, in Cowes.

Merry Christmas to you, too. It's well celebrated here, with public decorations everywhere and many things closed. Santa surely knows the place
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 25-12-2015, 15:13   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
If you fancy a round the cans race on New Year's Day, then head down to Changi sailing club. Details on the website. Someone will have space aboard.

You can ask for me, James Sharpe. Cheers.
Thanks for that tip! I'll surely come down for that.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-12-2015, 17:41   #7

Boat: Moody 376

Cool. With luck , my hangover will be manageable.
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 05:33   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

You can also make your way down to the Keppel Bay marina and head upstairs to the marina office and the friendly folks there will advise you on any local sail or motor boats you can charter for the day. It very central. It your looking for conversation of like-mined folks, best bet would be Raffles Marina in the west end. Its a bit of a hop getting there but is a main center. One15 marina, closer by has many yachts of all sorts.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 11:45   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

I second the recommendation to spend your free time in Singapore discovering the island shore-side, (far more interesting than its waters, other than the novelty aspect of sailing in a cargo parking garage- apologies in advance for Sing. based sailors, no offense intended, I used to be a resident of this magnificent city which I dearly love!)

For starters , you may check the following:

50 Things to Do in Singapore - YourSingapore

One of my all time favourites: walking the Tree Top Walk, a spectacular way to visit the city from the canopies)

Enjoy!
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 01:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenician View Post
I second the recommendation to spend your free time in Singapore discovering the island shore-side, (far more interesting than its waters, other than the novelty aspect of sailing in a cargo parking garage- apologies in advance for Sing. based sailors, no offense intended, I used to be a resident of this magnificent city which I dearly love!)
You are quite right actually ... there's no real destination to go to locally and local laws are somewhat draconian ... though if you are up to it, Phuket to the north is a seasonal jaunt and the Riau archipelago to the south with over 17,000 islands is really stunning. But you need time for that.

On a Sunday you may find the bay at Lazarus Island brimming with boats ... perhaps 30 on a good day ...

It is unfortunate that very few owners actually take their boats out on a regular basis. It's to do with the "don't have fun" law ...

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 04:21   #11

Not strictly yacht related but don't miss the chance to head over to the East Coast Seafood park and partake in some chili crabs. My favorite place is Jumbo, but there are a lot of restaurants there. They are very pricey so be prepared. They also do a great deep fried squid in a sweet and spicy chili sauce. They are crunchy and great accompanied by the local beer. Singapore is a great place to spend some time on shore with a wealth of cultures intermingled in odd ways at times.

Doug
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 08:22   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

an absolutely touristy thing you must do in singapore is go to the Raffles and drink a singapore gin sling (horrible conncoction) however after having done it you can ask if they have The Botanist and get them to make you a good martini

if you don't drink a sling no one will believe you have been to singapore (I have and I only drank one and that is enough slings to last me a life time)

of course - I expect you brought a bottle og the Botanist with you from duty free.................................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:33   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Hey, Carsten - me too!! Gotta be done, I suppose but horrible taste and horrible price!!
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 02:33   #14

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Hey, Carsten - me too!! Gotta be done, I suppose but horrible taste and horrible price!!
I had happily forgotten just how much they charged for that ungodly mixture

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 05:48   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks everyone for the excellent tips!
Walt Whitman

Tags
Singapore