Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2009, 19:30   #1

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Seeking Puget Sound Moorage & Workspace

Hi folks...

I have a facilities problem, though at first glance my current digs look idyllic: 11 acres on an island with a solar house and 3,000 square-foot lab... you can read more about it here.

It's all very nice, I suppose, but the catch is that there is no place on Camano Island to park a boat... there's not even a mooring field with legal overnight parking, much less a marina. I've been keeping Nomadness across Saratoga Passage and the price is good compared to, say, the lunatic rates at Cap Sante... but it's also a 3-hour round trip in the best of conditions.

Time is passing fast and projects are being limited by logistical issues. I'm building a mobile lab in a 24-foot Wells Cargo trailer and that will help, but what I really need is to combine moorage and workspace... then rent or sell my current facilities to pay for it.

I'm not keen on buying another house; the real-estate dance eats up a year of life and I'm not at all interested in such permanence anyway. What I want is a secure 50-foot slip where I have the option of staying aboard much of the time, nearby shop space in the 1K-3K square foot range, and (ideally) integrated living space. If I could pick up my current facilities and plop them down somewhere better suited to boat ownership, that would be perfect...

Thought it might be worth a post here; I bet such a thing exists somewhere but just doesn't show up in random Googlage. Location can be anywhere from Olympia (my gf would love that, since it's her old stomping grounds) to Port Townsend (I'd love that, given the boat culture)... or anywhere else in these northwest US waters, really, as long as it's not urban.

Cheers!
Steve
Nomadness
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bostonharbor-sm.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	8938  
Old 14-07-2009, 20:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
This is the Cruisers' Forum...

As this is the Cruisers' Forum may I presume to suggest that the correct answer is to dispose, rent or sell all land bound belongings and head south (Or south west, west or north west - your choice).

P.S. Boat looks really good.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 20:56   #3

Hmmm... you know, you're right. Can I pack up a shipping container for ya?

Steve

PS: Thanks!
Old 15-07-2009, 08:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
You can try Bellingham.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 08:47   #5

Maybe try a Craig's List ad for shop space or shop sharing space in Laconner, Anacortes, Bellingham, port townsend or just "on penninsula" if you want to save money.... then work out where to moor in the area near the shop...? If you want to sell out where you are, Shelter Bay near Laconner has moorage with many of the houses. This community is on the indian reservation so the house purchase is really a long term lease. economical, and the houses are kind of cedar finished small-ish in many cases.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 08:59   #6

Thanks for the suggestions. We went on a quest last year for waterfront real estate, but even in the less-prime areas, the only affordable ones (and only then, marginally so) were moorage... not dockage. Maybe I should look again at Hood Canal, and just live with the bizarre access and retirement/shrimp culture since it's only temporary. I think my fear is that temporary can become dangerously permanent-feeling; that's what happened with the Microship lab that was expected to be a 3-year project.

The mobile lab may end up being the key, as it enforces a level of efficiency that I would never reach with a new building. Here it is: Nomadness: Polaris Mobile Lab

Meanwhile, I'm about to do a full power-system rebuild including batteries. *shudder*

Steve
Old 25-04-2013, 10:35   #7

Boat: Beneteau, First 35, 35 feet
Re: Seeking Puget Sound Moorage & Workspace

Greetings I have a mooring ball that I set up for my sailboat about 3 years ago and would let you use it for a bit of sailing. It's located just North of the Camano Island Yacht club, and I have a dinghy on the shore so that you can access the boat. Great spot during the summer. It's also walking distance from my house if you want to park at my house while you enjoy a few days on a sail.
Jacksonstartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 10:49   #8

Re: Seeking Puget Sound Moorage & Workspace

Thanks for the offer... though a lot has happened in the 4 years since that post! I sold my place on Camano, had rental space in La Conner for a while with a lab at the head of the dock, and then moved everything to Friday Harbor with the boat moored in town. Now cranking away on projects to eliminate the need for expensive shore facilities (and hopefully no more expensive and time-consuming moves!).

Cheers and thanks again,
Steve

Tags
puget sound