Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 18:45   #1

Seeking Help - Want to Sail Across the Pacfic

Ahoy everyone!

I'm a 21 year old kiwi male, my sailing is limited to being crew on coastal and lake excursions, but It's a dream of mine to sail from the America's across the pacific... Due in part to being a direct descendant of Bounty Mutineer leader Fletcher Christian (he is my great great great great great great grandfather). Maybe it's just in my blood!? I am in Brasil right now but have the resources to fund my travels to a meeting point and for supplies. I am most keen to get to tahiti but will consider anything going westward as I would love to explore the islands.

My family is also in the abrasive blasting and spraypainting business in Whangarei, New Zealand. Rudolphs Ltd is the company and I worked for them prior to my trip here. I'm sure I could also arrange for some very cost-effective maintenance should the vessel like to go that far.

Any advice/links/fingers-in-the-right-direction/contacts would be very appreciated. I have just started seriously planning this, because I've decided I'd rather do this than use my return flight home. I'm here now, have the resources and the desire so why not?

I am keen and hard-working, and a quick-learner who desires to become a true sailor.

Regards,
Levi
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 19:08   #2

Hello Levi,

You need to find a good seaworthy boat, and research the subject of "what makes a seaworthy boat". Be sure to learn what time of the year to leave, and plan your route around what the prevailing currents and winds so they can assist you. Google "milk run" and study that popular route. Read read read and then read some more, so your mind can adapt to all the obstacles you are likely to encounter. I suggest this website as a great place to begin your learning.: Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei This guy knows his stuff.

Good luck with your journey, you can do it!
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 01:59   #3

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Levi

I suggest you go to Panama. Now is a good time to arrive to be the early bird. Go have a look at Shelter Bay Marina (on the Colon side) post a note on the board and spend the rest of the day socializing by the pool, then head for the Panama City side (where lodging & taxis are cheapest and hang at the Balboa Yacht Club and Playita anchorage dinghy dock. Make yourself helpful and highly visable and stay with it until the right owner with the right boat comes along. You should be on your way to Galapagos in very little time. Good luck and happy hunting!

To Life!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 03:24   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Sounds good advice from Levi, go live the dream! (jealous)