Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 00:29   #1

Boat: Compass 34 , Sloop
Security issues and Info Savusavu , Fiji .

We are a Dutch yacht and this is our 5th year cruising in Fiji. This cyclone season of 2014/15 we've been on a mooring of Savusavu marina.

- **Shower and toilet facilities ashore at Waitui are below sub-standard.
* **Waitui marina has had major problems with their vhf radio for the season of 2013 and 2014/15 that we've been here.*
- **Therefore most clearing assistance goes through the COPRA SHED marina.
* * *The toilet and shower facilities at Copra Shed need lots of maintenance.*
- *Helix and similar as well as traditional moorings are used throughout Nakama Creek. (Not just at Waitui.)
- **The Savusavu Marina does NOT have 16 berths with water and electricity.*
* * *They have only one toilet and one shower (very basic).*
* * *6 Yachts can probably go alongside the dock where water and power are available.*
* * *Rats are a problem as are invasive birds. **
- The creek from top to bottom is regularly a stinking, soiled with waste - disgrace. If not oil and diesel, then household and farming. Not to mention the black snow that creeps into everything.
** Your readers are missing an opportunity if Curly's is not mentioned as a mooring provider. CURLY, in Savusavu, Fiji: MOORINGS
Curly is the Island Cruising Association*port captain*for Savusavu.*
Not only on the local morning net on VHF 68 at 08.00 lt Curly gives the weather but also on *CURLY, in Savusavu, Fiji for Fiji

SECURITY *ISSUES

"Statistic's just for Marine /Cruiser Crimes:- Jul/Aug/Sept/Oct
5 x Yacht Break-ins- damage to most yachts- items stolen -one yacht a large Cat was left in a terrible mess as it was turned over *opening every locker etc
2 x yacht attempted Break-ins- Criminals fled due to new Alarm Systems being installed ,nothing stolen
1 x Dinghy stolen from behind a Cruising Yacht -recovered by a fellow cruiser who saw and heard drunks with the dinghy, they fled when illuminated.
2 x Local Dinghy's stolen -Recovered by friends and relatives.
2 x a Local small runabouts stolen and recovered by Public /friends
2 x Cruiser Ladies had their Handbags stolen when enjoying a night out in town, one hand bag recovered via the local Taxis *locating the Criminal and leading the police to him resulting in an arrest and nothing lost from the Handbag."

Since, 2 more yachts (my neighbours) have been broken into. Monthly meetings are held to combat the growing criminal activity in and around Savusavu. Up to now, March'15, eight months down the road, not one of the 9 marine cases has been solved by the police. Nor do the marinas act in defense of their visiting yachts. *curlycarswell.blogspot.com however, is doing his best to curb the new trend.*

To top it all, I was disgustingly, verbally abused (Mi-sA-le Fransen: bad) by local young fishermen. There is no way I can say Savusavu is a safe place. Savusavu is merely an interesting old fashioned island town. It is a FALSE paradise, where one should visit with the necessary precautions. Crime is everywhere in the world. But here, those who need to care and do something about it, don't.
Mylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 20:17   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Security issues and Info Savusavu , Fiji .

Terrible to hear about the break ins!
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 16:35   #3
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Best you stay away then
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 20:09   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

I'm sure it would benefit people if you advised Noonsite who would like to hear of this

...and to a lesser extent, active captain.

Actually, looks like Noonsite is already on to it - they linked me to this post:
CURLY, in Savusavu, Fiji: ANTI-CRIME

Sad to hear, but i hope isolated.

Cheers.
Old 24-03-2015, 01:47   #5

Boat: Compass 34 , Sloop

Thanks for the reactions. Crime is everywhere in the world BUT here in Savusavu the biggest issue is , is that the POLICE and the Marinas are ignoring the problem . Especially the Police is a big disappointment , they have not done anything either to solve a crime or to prefent crime.
Mylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 02:02   #6
cruiser

Then leave and go home. God I get annoyed when cruisers whine about being in a developing nation that isn't as comfy as they're used to.
Old 24-03-2015, 03:48   #7

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Thanks for the input! It is sad that more and more places turn into mess these days. Speak about human civilization degradation...

The important point here is this, IMO:

Quote:
2 x yacht attempted Break-ins- Criminals fled due to new Alarm Systems being installed ,nothing stolen
This really puzzles me why people refuse to spend a hundred bucks on an alarm system. Especially now when there are hundreds of them available on aliexpress...
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 19:27   #8

7 breakins/attempted is a huge number for a S Pacific harbor in that short of a time period. Very unusual and concerning.

Seafrog - alarms are rarely needed in areas I have been to in the Pacific so far. I dont think it is a refusal to spend money, just a lack of need.
Old 27-03-2015, 01:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Seafrog - alarms are rarely needed in areas I have been to in the Pacific so far. I dont think it is a refusal to spend money, just a lack of need.
Unfortunately, looks like it becomes a necessity in today's world... Very sad
Old 27-03-2015, 02:53   #10
cruiser

What has changed is more likely to be the way the GPS qualified "cruisers" (who suddenly find they can sail a boat without really trying) have displace the genuine cruisers who had to earn the way to their lifestyle. Instead of making any attempt to assimilate into the culture of the places they visit they want McDonlads and Pizza Hut and the right to disparage the host countries they visit.
Old 27-03-2015, 05:46   #11

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Hang, where did that come ....from "GPS qualified cruisers and disparage host countries" you are definitely "socially challenged"

The OP was stating some facts i.e information regarding the "16 moorings" that are not there, general state of things which could be of interest to some people and you come up with strange things about "McDonlads (spelling) and Pizza hut and GPS cruisers."
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
Unfortunately, looks like it becomes a necessity in today's world... Very sad
I defintiely dont want to start one of CFs arguments (!) but I will say that IMO several thousand boats installing alarms because of break ins in a few harbors in the S Pacific doesnt make it a necessity....for us. Obviously peoples' need to avoid risk differs.
Old 27-03-2015, 09:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I defintiely dont want to start one of CFs arguments (!) but I will say that IMO several thousand boats installing alarms because of break ins in a few harbors in the S Pacific doesnt make it a necessity....for us. Obviously peoples' need to avoid risk differs.
That's true! Eeryone think differently about risks. Just today I spoke with someone why told me I am an idiot to even remotely consider cruising and living aboard, because of huge risks
Old 27-03-2015, 12:42   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie Swart View Post
Hang, where did that come ....from "GPS qualified cruisers and disparage host countries" you are definitely "socially challenged"

The OP was stating some facts i.e information regarding the "16 moorings" that are not there, general state of things which could be of interest to some people and you come up with strange things about "McDonlads (spelling) and Pizza hut and GPS cruisers."
The OP is having a whine because the developing nation paradise they are enjoying is not quite as civilised as "home". If people come to the South Pacific and expect things to be like they are in a developed nation then they stand to be disappointed.
Old 27-03-2015, 12:58   #15

If we are making sweeping judgments about character based on forum posts, then I would say that you sound grumpy and aggressive and I wish grumpy, aggressive people would stay home rather than in S Pacific anchorages too.

Doesnt feel fair, does it?

Tags
Fiji, security