Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-03-2016, 00:34   #16

Boat: C&C
Re: Seattle -> Tofino -> Victoria -> Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
I did basically this route last July, only over a longer period of time (added more destinations - had 4 weeks instead of 2).

Check out my blog (in the signature below) and search for "Tofino" and you'll find the two relevant posts. (pre-trip and post-trip)

We ended up scaling back our pre-trip plans by about 20%. If you haven't done a lot of long days of motoring yet, you might find you don't like that. You have some long days in your plan. Seattle - Port Angeles - Neah Bay is doable though. We did Seattle - Sequim - Neah Bay. Sequim shortens the first day and is a nice anchorage. Also, we rode the ebb to PT but hit the flood after rounding Point Wilson, which slowed us down a lot. Since tides don't last enough hours to make it all the way from Seattle to PA on one ebb, you'll need to fight some flood either on the front end or the tail end. Front end probably better (choose a place where the flood is weaker).

I don't know who told you off Port Renfrew, but we anchored there and found it fine. I did see a couple cruising guides said it might be rolly, but it was very calm for us. The Strait was basically flat that day in July for the return, so that may be why. Port Renfrew (aka Port San Juan) splits the return trip nicely. About 46 nm Bamfield - Port Renfrew, and about 42 nm then to Becher Bay. Or push on to Victoria for about 14 nm more, but if wind and current are up at Race Rocks by then you'll probably want to duck into Becher Bay for the night. Approaching Becher Bay and Race Rocks was the only time in the Straits we got high winds (25 kts). The rest of the time the wind was either calm (0) or light (5-8 kts).

Yes you could do Bamfield - Becher Bay in one day, but that is about 80 nm. And I like to sail. That's a very long day if you want to cover say half the miles sailing. With perfect wind it's doable but from our trip last year, it was rare indeed to get perfect wind for a whole day in the PNW in the summer. From Bamfield to Port Renfrew we had dead calm. And from Port Renfrew to Becher Bay we had dead calm and fog in the morning. 80 miles motoring in a 34 takes about 12-13 hrs. Like I said, the choice depends on how much you like motoring vs sailing.

Effingham to Tofino, and the return, are also long days. (even though the mileage doesn't look long, we found it took longer than we expected)

If I were you and didn't need to pick up crew in Tofino I'd probably skip Tofino and just spend more time in Bamfield, Ucluelet and Barkley anchorages. But you probably need to pick up crew in Tofino. FYI there is a bus to Ucluelet from the Tofino airport (but it's a little bit longer).
Thanks for the info, it's great! Seattle -> Sequim -> Neah Bay is an interesting compromise, and I agree about choosing your battles with ebb tide. Leaving Shillshole at 4am on the 11th would likely give us a couple good hours in the strait before we were bucking the current. I've done long hours motoring (I once motored our old Ericson 27 from Deer harbor to Lake Union, solo, with no autohelm and an 8hp outboard that wouldn't stay straight) and while they're not super fun, I'm not above taking one for the team.

Port Townsend makes for a fun evening however, and giving the crew two relatively easy days right off the bat might make a lot of sense. Then Port Townsend to Port Angeles, & etc.

Good knowing about Port Renfrew as well, that's helpful to know that if we get tired and aren't faced with a bad swell we can pull in there and anchor okay.

We do need to pick up/drop off crew in Tofino, and I need to spend a couple days there so I can work remotely (I run a creative agency in Seattle so I can't be completely out of reach for too long : ). I suppose it might be possible to just do Ucluelet and have folks meet us there... Interesting info about it taking a long time to go from Ucluelet to Tofino - it really doesn't look like much distance - we'll have to take note of that if/when we make the trip.

Old 07-03-2016, 00:38   #17

Boat: C&C

I want to thank everybody in the thread who has given input on this itinerary! You've given me exactly what I wanted, namely, enough information and tips to know where our considerations should be, and where we have options. I'm sure we'll use this additional information to make the smart decisions about how and when to divert from the plan for maximum fun. I'll be PM'ing some of you to pick your brains and talk more.

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2016, 11:36   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Regarding Hot Springs Cove: Be careful! When we went out there, everyone before us was naked. So we thought: "when in Rome do as the Romans" and went naked. There are three pools high to seaside, you work your way down from hot to warm water. By the time we got to the bottom the others had left. Then a new group arrived... except, they had swimming suits on! There was no way for us to leave without walking past them... naked! DOH!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewembassy View Post
Interesting info about it taking a long time to go from Ucluelet to Tofino - it really doesn't look like much distance - we'll have to take note of that if/when we make the trip.
Via Google Earth it's 20-25 nm. That's a full day. Two days there & back again. There's a very good road between the two and by car or local bus shouldn't even take a half an hour. Unless you NEED to be in the water on your boat in Tofino...

I was there a few summers ago by car from my father-in-law's place in Cowichan Bay. Easy trip between the two by land.

Good luck, safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 20:16   #20

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Regarding Hot Springs Cove: Be careful! When we went out there, everyone before us was naked. So we thought: "when in Rome do as the Romans" and went naked. There are three pools high to seaside, you work your way down from hot to warm water. By the time we got to the bottom the others had left. Then a new group arrived... except, they had swimming suits on! There was no way for us to leave without walking past them... naked! DOH!
LOL. That's hilarious. I've been there at least half a dozen times and never seen anyone naked. I expect after the tourist boats leave in the evening, that might be more the norm with the locals.

I've been there once by sailboat and we stayed on the dock. We chatted with all the tourists as they came and went and then had the hotsprings all to ourselves after dinner. Amazing trip.

I've been to many hot springs, and these are my favourite.
Old 18-03-2016, 21:09   #21

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Nostalgic discussion for me... Cheechako and I are probably about the same vintage so
I'm sure he understands that as time wears on your body and your mind, clothes become less and less important. They used to make the man but at our age you can get away with anything! We never wore a suit at 'the Cove' even back in the 50's and 60's mainly because no one owned one and we shared the soap!
The native girls loved the soap but weren't too interested in us as I recall. Good time to be around 17-25 years old! God, I miss those days (and nights!). Phil

Tags
seattle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: