Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 17:40   #1
Registered User
 
CaptJenks's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wasaga Beach Canada & the Bahamas
Boat: Boston Whaler, 35ft Henrique Trawler
Posts: 13
Question Seattle to Fort Lauderdale

Hello...looking for some advice...

I just bought a 70' vessel in the Seattle area. I'm trying to determine the best way to get her from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale, FLA. Eventually looking to have her over in the Bahamas.

Is trucking the best? (seems boring and uneventful, probably costly) or truck to a good point on the Mississipi and take her down to the gulf ( don't know if that can be done?) or... Cruise down the west coast to Panama then across? Or cruise to Alaska and around the east coast of Canada ( not sure if the northwest passage is open/safe for a vessel of 70' ?)

Thoughts, experiences and feedback is appreciated as usual..

Thanks

CPt. J
__________________

__________________
CaptJenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:56   #2
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: Seattle to Fort Lauderdale

Congrats on the new boat!

Wow. That's a lot of boat for a truck. I'm guessing it's a powerboat? Wooden? Might there be issues putting an antique wooden boat on a long-haul truck?

One option you may wish to consider is taking the boat to BC and then shipping it through the canal to Florida. Another option you might be trucking from Long Beach to Galveston. This second option might be attractive if you're trying to reduce time out of the water on a wooden hull.
__________________

__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:57   #3
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Seattle to Fort Lauderdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJenks View Post
Hello...looking for some advice...

I just bought a 70' vessel in the Seattle area. I'm trying to determine the best way to get her from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale, FLA. Eventually looking to have her over in the Bahamas.

Is trucking the best? (seems boring and uneventful, probably costly) or truck to a good point on the Mississipi and take her down to the gulf ( don't know if that can be done?) or... Cruise down the west coast to Panama then across? Or cruise to Alaska and around the east coast of Canada ( not sure if the northwest passage is open/safe for a vessel of 70' ?)

Thoughts, experiences and feedback is appreciated as usual..

Thanks

CPt. J
70 foot vessel? is that a 70 foot two man sub? Or is that a 70 foot wing in ground effect vessel? depending on which will depend on which route I would suggest....
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:57   #4
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Seattle to Fort Lauderdale

The words "1927 70' Classic" lead me to believe she's a woody. Could be a lot of pitfalls in trucking her. I would guess a good delivery skipper would be safer for the boat and probably cheaper too. I have seen hideous damage done on the road.
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:59   #5
Registered User
 
Astral Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Posts: 313
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Re: Seattle to Fort Lauderdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJenks View Post
Hello...looking for some advice...

I just bought a 70' vessel in the Seattle area. I'm trying to determine the best way to get her from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale, FLA. Eventually looking to have her over in the Bahamas.

Is trucking the best? (seems boring and uneventful, probably costly) or truck to a good point on the Mississipi and take her down to the gulf ( don't know if that can be done?) or... Cruise down the west coast to Panama then across? Or cruise to Alaska and around the east coast of Canada ( not sure if the northwest passage is open/safe for a vessel of 70' ?)

Thoughts, experiences and feedback is appreciated as usual..

Thanks

CPt. J
Regarding the Northern Passage(s)... I can count on my hands the number of expeditions made via this route in the last decade. This seems to be not such a good idea if it is a new vessel that has likely not proven itself in such waters. I would personally stick with the Panama Canal. Just my two cents...
__________________
Ed & Lindsey - Sacramento, CA
1977 Bayliner Victoria "Astral Blue"
MMSI #: 338127697
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:59   #6
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Seattle to Fort Lauderdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Congrats on the new boat!

Wow. That's a lot of boat for a truck. I'm guessing it's a powerboat? Wooden? Might there be issues putting an antique wooden boat on a long-haul truck?

One option you may wish to consider is taking the boat to BC and then shipping it through the canal to Florida. Another option you might be trucking from Long Beach to Galveston. This second option might be attractive if you're trying to reduce time out of the water on a wooden hull.

Good advice. Shipping could be a good option. Fast, safe, and a pretty sure thing they won't damage it.
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:15   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: Seattle to Fort Lauderdale

I believe 70' would be extraordinarily expensive to truck. If allowed at all that size you would require special permits, front and back escorts and many restrictions.

No experience with moving boats by ship.

I would consider moving the boat on her own bottom?
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:23   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,352
Re: Seattle to Fort Lauderdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I believe 70' would be extraordinarily expensive to truck. If allowed at all that size you would require special permits, front and back escorts and many restrictions.

No experience with moving boats by ship.

I would consider moving the boat on her own bottom?
Not to mention what might happen to the wood structure....
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fort lauderdale, seattle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.