Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-10-2015, 18:26   #16

Re: Schooner Nina and David Dyche disappearance

Wow, I think you have pegged it. As my mom doesn't have a great memory and may think it was him that did the telling whereas, like you said she filled in the blanks for him without realizing it. Well, he picked the wrong old lady. She lives only on Social Security. Thank you for the in depth response . If you don't mind I will forward to her caregiver for her to pass on to my mom tomull over. Again, I love this forum as it was very helpful when they were lost and even now. Thank you for something I can understand.

Old 07-10-2015, 18:43   #17

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Friend of Nina,

I am sure we would all like to help if we could.

For those who sail the seas we all feel some connection to those lost at sea.

Sincerely.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 19:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Nina View Post
Wow, I think you have pegged it.
The same thing happened to my grandmother two years ago in regard to my brother who is a pilot that flies small jets domestically in the US and in the Carib.

My grandfather confirmed that she was filling in the blanks for the caller on the telephone.

Certainly doesn't hurt to put the word out but the random encounter guy needs to be treated with extreme skepticism.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-10-2015, 19:51   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Id like to head more about the mast that was found?
Old 08-10-2015, 00:40   #20

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Well, I can reassure her that all of the remote islands down here are regularly visited by scientists and fishermen, not really any chance someone could be marooned on one for any length of time! Tassie may seem like the end of the world sometimes, but it's a small busy place.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-10-2015, 09:12   #21

go to the consulate for that country, they all have representatives even if there is not an embassy, the will check it out. file a missing person report.

unless he has a warrant for his arrest in the US and doesn't want to be found
Old 08-10-2015, 10:06   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Though highly improbable, psychic phenomenon such as this seems to happen a great deal.

The Bass Strait alone has over 50 islands in it. All of these may be construed as being close to Tasmania.

It seems improbable that a castaway could hold out for two years in those latitudes especially without being found.

Was this fellow a complete stranger to your mother?
Old 08-10-2015, 10:23   #23
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I am sorry for your loss, but it sounds like someone is trying to scam her. Spent a month on Tas, myself, and while it is not overly populated, I find it hard to believe someone could be there for 2 years and not surface, unless they had an overriding reason for not contacting their family.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:42   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Quote:
Hello, my mother out on errands today, when a man came up and said out of the blue I have a message for you. Someone you care for very much is alive and on an island by Tasmania. Of course she was shocked as my brother and crew were lost in the Tasman Sea June 2013 on the 1928 Schooner Nina. Later her granddaughter decided to check on this person who was not there, but a cashier said he even told her something she hadn't told anyone.

My question when looking at the map, could it be possible? Do people live on those islands . Is there anyone we could contact that are cruising the Tasmanian islands. My daughter thought it was a scam but he even mentioned Tasmania. Who mentions that when she is living in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Any thoughts or direction we should turn to? Any input would help. Thanks, Friend of Nina.
I would personally question that cashier again to determine if what she was told by this mystery man could be construed as having been something that was solicited out of her. Find out if this mystery psychic paid for his purchase with a credit card and if so, what was his name. Have the authorities track him down or do a Google search on him.

The Australian Customs subcontract a company to fly the length and breadth of their coastlines everyday. We used to wave to them. They are called Surveylance Australia Pty. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveillance_Australia. Perhaps they could do a fly over of some of the more remote islands in the Bass Strait.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:25   #25

Hello, thank you all for your bits of wisdom. Yes, i think it was someone using a ruse to get close. Figuring eventually will hit pay dirt . Not living there I really couldn't check myself. I guess when you get 85 everyone has a loss. Also, thanks about info on out islands around Tasmania.
Old 08-10-2015, 14:35   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

By now this is pretty redundant info, but in our 13 summers cruising in Tasmanian waters, we have sailed by essentially all the available islands in that area. Some are pretty remote, some are in fact uninhabited, some are pretty stark... but in my opinion, all of them are passed by many times a year by vessels, both pleasure and commercial. If someone was on any one of them, and wanted to be seen, they would have had many opportunities to do so.

I'm sorry that our world includes folks who prey upon the elderly and infirm, but it certainly does. I'm glad that this attempt seems to have failed!

Jim
Old 08-10-2015, 16:10   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Hello, my mother out on errands today, when a man came up and said out of the blue I have a message for you. Someone you care for very much is alive and on an island by Tasmania. Of course she was shocked as my brother and crew were lost in the Tasman Sea June 2013 on the 1928 Schooner Nina. Later her granddaughter decided to check on this person who was not there, but a cashier said he even told her something she hadn't told anyone.

My question when looking at the map, could it be possible? Do people live on those islands . Is there anyone we could contact that are cruising the Tasmanian islands. My daughter thought it was a scam but he even mentioned Tasmania. Who mentions that when she is living in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Any thoughts or direction we should turn to? Any input would help. Thanks, Friend of Nina.
I hope some Aussies can help. Just don't give any money to this person.
Old 08-10-2015, 17:12   #28

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

While I am on the side of it was a "scam" attempt. It is awful to endure the guilt of failing to check things out. As said by a fairly recent US President, "Trust, but verify." Tasmania itself is not all that unpopulated, however I know little about the various islands in the vicinity. That said you are on the right track by using this forum because I do believe the islands are so small in population numbers that a survivor from a shipwreck or even salvage, including identifiable personal objects, from a wreck would be a significant local event and would also have a high probability of being well known among the residents. But never pay money or provide access to your home or personal property to strangers bearing only the gift of supposed "information." And be very cautious about payment for anything said to be physical evidence.
Old 09-10-2015, 14:51   #29

Hi
I am a subscriber to this site and also a cruising yachtsman from Tasmania. I have crossed Bass Strait twice which is the notorious stretch of water between Tasmania and Mainland Australia where most of the Tasmanian coastal islands are situated. I cannot say I have visited them as it requires an intrepid soul and intestinal fortitude to spend much time in those parts as the weather can turn violent very suddenly it being a 120 mile shallow strait in the path of the roaring 40s and known for treacherous currents. Local knowledge and very good information is of utmost importance to navigate such an area. which brings up the point of local fishermen. The subscriber who commented on the rugged West coast of Tasmania was correct in part as one side of one of the larger inhabited islands King Island could be called the west coast. Never the less the whole of Bass Strait is exposed to the same weather that beats relentlessly on the West Coast. Captain Cook rated it as among the worst seas he experienced.
The islands there are very rugged, beautiful inhospitable and wind blasted. Living there would be almost impossible without a source of food and material supplies. it would be practically impossible to grow any vegetables or staples and a person living there would have to survive on the sea food seals and mutton birds. Even the Aboriginals would only visit them for seasonal food. Therefore a person would need a stout boat (and somewhere to haul it from storms) of their own to survive there or be know to fishermen who would supply them. It would not be possible to live there without fire as exposure would quickly claim life and there is almost zero substantial timber on the "uninhabited" islands. Lighting a fire creates smoke and the fishermen would know about that. Hence unless someone lives there and their secret is being kept by others that are supplying them with food and necessary materials surely by now someone would have to tell. I'd have to say I rate the odds as incredibly unlikely.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:36   #30

Hello, it does not appear a place to be able to use skills etc. doesn't look like a great place to visit.

Thank you for your in depth review of the islands. Thought it was interesting to read about that area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: