Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 11:54   #1

Boat: Tartan 3700
San Juan Islands trip video

The clips for this video have been sitting on my hard drive for six months and I finally mustered the motivation to put them together in to a video. It's a round trip from Seattle through the San Juan's and back stopping at a few new places which are now some of my favorites. I can't wait to get up there again!

The route...

Elliot Bay - home base

Watmough Bay - Lopez Island - a new favorite for sure.

Spencer Spit State Park - Lopez Island - I rented a bike on the south end of the spit and rode to the store to restock the cooler. They say Lopez Island is flat and great for biking, I think they mean 'flatter than the other islands.'

Friday Harbor - San Juan Island

Sucia Island - always a favorite. We anchored in Echo Bay this time though I definitely prefer one of the mooring balls in Ewing Cove but none were available.

Doe Bay - Orcas Island - really nice little resort area with a hot springs you get access to if you pay for one of the mooring balls (we did.) The dinghy motor crapped out on us in the morning, luckily I remembered the oars. It turned out to be the spark plug but I didn't have one on board at the time to replace it (I do now!) As low tide approached we left quickly as we were only showing a foot of water under the keel which was less than I expected based on the charts.

American Camp - San Juan Island - another new favorite for the beach.

Cattle Pass - We timed our exit so we would get to Deception Pass just before slack so there was a 2-3 kt current running out of Cattle Pass when we left. This combined with the swell in the strait didn't make for a very comfortable ride. The wave pattern changed as we got closer Rosario Strait and we were do a little surfing along the way. Then the rain arrived and it stuck with us the remainder of the day.

Deception Pass

Langley - Whidbey Island

Elliot Bay - back home

Anyway, I hope you enjoy!
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: San Juan Islands trip video

Very nice! Thanks for posting this.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com