Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 14:18   #1

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
San Juan Islands Area Boat Ramp

Hello all, my wife and I are planing a trip from Washington State through the San Juans and up the Inside Passage and are looking for a boat ramp and a place to park our truck and trailer during our trip. Bellingham Marina looks good, but they limit parking to two weeks and our trip should be four plus weeks as we are open ended on time. I know most of you keep your boats in the water, as did we on our seven month cruise from San Francisco to South Mexico and back on S/V Sweet Destiny. If you know of a good ramp and or storage yard, do tell. Thank you, Scott and Kim
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 14:26   #2

Re: San Juan Islands Area Boat Ramp

You might check Anacortes. Skyline marina is easy access to the san juans, they can lift you in without a ramp and you could ask about storage. They seem to usually have some room. There is a ramp out near Skyline also, if you can find a storage place. There is pay storage space in Anacortes town per se, motor homes stored alongside boats in the big yards.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 15:16   #3

Boat: J/42

We launched a friends boat a couple of times from the Washington Park boat ramp in Anacortes. It seems to me that we parked the truck and trailer over near Cap Sante. I used to launch and park small boats there, but just while I was camping at the park.
But now I realize that was 25 years ago and everything has probably changed.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 17:10   #4

Anacortes is so close to the San Juans it was hard not to look at. It has no storage, the one place I could find is full. Thanks for the tip, I would love to put in there if there was storage. I will call the marina to see what they have as far as parking for one are two months. Thanks!
Old 24-05-2017, 17:52   #5

Boat: J/42

Did you check for storage yards in places like Burlington and Mt Vernon? Just an Uber away. Or a nice bike ride.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:08   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

You might try Colony Wharf in Bellingham. I'm sure they have space although cost may be a factor. Close to the ramp. On C Street & Roeder. They can also launch, of course.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:28   #7

Boat: Fraser 42 ft Center cockpit sloop

North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes has a large storage area and their own ramp.
Hyrdflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 09:07   #8

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
Bellingham Marina looks good, but they limit parking to two weeks and our trip should be four plus weeks as we are open ended on time.
Call Squallicum Harbor office and explain what you're trying to do. The automated machine at the Bellingham ramp is limited to dispensing 14 day tickets, but we have (with permission from the harbor office) left our truck and trailer for 3+ weeks no problem in their "overflow" parking area which is just SE across the Bellwether Way, over by the (now closed) Redden Marine. Granted this was September so not high season but definitely call the harbor office and see what they say.
Old 25-05-2017, 09:39   #9

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Skyline for parking and great storage. Has a lift, if you prefer, and Washington Park nearby is a good ramp.

One word of caution - Do Not have any work done on your boat there ... go into Anacortes. Shoddy work and extreme prices. Good marina, but poor mechanic and boat repair services (not affiliated with the marina, just renters).
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 09:56   #10

Great info, thanks. Thats what makes this form so good!
Old 25-05-2017, 16:57   #11

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

One other thought. Find a secure place but less costly place that is not within walking distance of the launch ramp, launch, one of you stay aboard, the other drive the truck & trailer to the location, and Ubers back to the ramp location. Upon return, reverse the drill. I often forget that Uber exist, but having kids in their 30's and 40's helps remind me. Dad, why don't [didn't] you use Uber?"
Old 26-05-2017, 00:09   #12

Boat: Nicholson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Call Squallicum Harbor office and explain what you're trying to do. ....
+1 for Squallicum Harbor, they have been very accommodating for us over the years. And Bellingham is a great place to finalize your preparations for departure. Chandleries of course, but excellent services from Tri County Diesel, to Hardware Sales, to.....
Old 26-05-2017, 11:41   #13

We found what we needed in La Conner. We have to launch and then my wife will have to drive our truck and trailer about five miles to park. I will be able to pick her up in our boat. Should work out nice. When Noon sight says the San Juans are the best cruising grounds in the world (a big claim to make) it has to be nice to say the least! Looking forward to cruising it. Thank you all for your input.
Old 26-05-2017, 13:12   #14

Should have said "one of the most beautiful and dramatic cruising grounds in the world" It has to be nice.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:58   #15

We are also looking for a place to launch our 26' boat and park our truck and trailer. Could you share a number or name for the place you found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
We found what we needed in La Conner. We have to launch and then my wife will have to drive our truck and trailer about five miles to park. I will be able to pick her up in our boat. Should work out nice. When Noon sight says the San Juans are the best cruising grounds in the world (a big claim to make) it has to be nice to say the least! Looking forward to cruising it. Thank you all for your input.
crendel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, ramp, san juan, san juan islands