Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49   #1

Boat: Haida 26
San Juan Islands

Thinking about cruising the San Juan's this next summer before trucking to Florida after Hurricane season.

What are your favorite anchorages & harbor's. I hav'nt sailed these waters for about 20 yrs..

Would love to hear stories on this..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:21   #2

Boat: too many
Re: San Juan Islands

Anchorages right between Friday Harbor (San Juan Island) and Brown Island puts you in the thick of things for great day sails and easy grocery shopping. Plus ferry terminal for going to the mainland.

BTW, it has been close to 20 years for me too.

I lived near False Bay for awhile before heading up to Alaska. Could travel to all the islands via dinghy.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:40   #3

Thanks Bob, This is going to help. Michael..
Old 10-03-2012, 13:52   #4

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Michael- are you sailing up or trucking?
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Michael- are you sailing up or trucking?
Not sure yet, if I truck, will splash at Everret. Depends on fuel cost. I have a custom built trailer and makes more time cruising where I want to be. I'll stay in touch w/ you on this..Michael
Old 10-03-2012, 14:15   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41

My cruise last summer to the San Juans was awesome! We left from Everett and stayed at a few great places. Orcas Island was our favorite place. We anchored in Deer Harbor and used the free reciprocal dock at Orcas Island Yacht club in the West Sound. The main downtown area is in East Sound. The anchorage there is good, and there are mooring balls. The websites I used for planning my trip were Active Captain's Interactive Cruising Guidebook and the Washington State guide to park mooring. I loved sailing in Washington and can't recommend it enough. If you have enough time, bring a passport and go to Canada and see the Gulf Islands. I wasn't able to visit them, but I hear they're great!
If you're interested in reading about my time there, I kept a daily log on my blog at San Juan Islands | Aboard Astraea.
n8kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:42   #7

Sucia and Matia are the high points for me. Some of the SJ's are pretty "summer touristy" etc, still fun. Highly recommend you cross the border into the Canadian inside, or lower outside of Van Isle.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:35   #8

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

West side of Lummi Island has Orcas regularly.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:42   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie say's ya don't want to miss the Bushshart(spl) Gardens. They have a Fine anchorage tucked into the Gardens look it up on your charts for Vancouver Isl. believe me you wont want to leave this spot! Ive got a couple favorite spots on the outside of Van Isl, if your going that way!! If not theres so many spots you just can't go wrong !! Have fun we alway do !! LOL
Old 10-03-2012, 15:56   #10

Butchart Gardens, yes, day or night visit, awesome.
Old 10-03-2012, 18:07   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I did not see your dates listed, but you want to be in Roche Harbor for July 4. Haro Strait for orcas. Sucia, and Stewart Island for great places to visit. Try the Rosario resort as well. No bad spot anywhere.

If it is an option, I would launch at Anacortes.

Bring a jacket.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:40   #12

Boat: Seawind 1160

I keep my boat in Bellingham and sail the San Juan's regularly. I would definitely recommend you purchase the following guide...

Amazon.com: A Cruising Guide to Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands: Olympia to Port Angeles (9780071420396): Migael Scherer: Books

Also, if you're looking for a good reference page from some folks who are constantly asked "where to go", the folks at San Juan Sailing have put together a great 7 day cruising guide. I agree with all their recommendations...

Roger & Marlene's Guide

Be sure to bring a current atlas. If you don't, you'll find yourself fighting 4-7 knot currents...

http://amzn.to/xKL5bt
robwrongshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 19:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrongshoes View Post
I keep my boat in Bellingham and sail the San Juan's regularly. I would definitely recommend you purchase the following guide...

Amazon.com: A Cruising Guide to Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands: Olympia to Port Angeles (9780071420396): Migael Scherer: Books

Also, if you're looking for a good reference page from some folks who are constantly asked "where to go", the folks at San Juan Sailing have put together a great 7 day cruising guide. I agree with all their recommendations...

Roger & Marlene's Guide

Be sure to bring a current atlas. If you don't, you'll find yourself fighting 4-7 knot currents...

Amazon.com: Current atlas: Juan de Fuca Strait to Strait of Georgia = Atlas des courants : Juan de Fuca strait a strait of Georgia (French and English Edition) (9780660523804): Canadian Hydrographic Service: Books

Michael, the above is very good information and I flat out forgot about the currents, but did most of my island hoping in the dinghy.
Old 10-03-2012, 20:21   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Reid Harbor on Stuart Island.
Makay bay, at very south end of Lopez.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:08   #15

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

All the Northern Barrier Islands (Clark, Matia, Sucia, and Patos) are my favorites, been going there for 50 years. Personally would rather trailer launch from Skyline Marina in Anacortes than Everett but then haven't done that in 30 years. If you are on a long holiday, Desolation Sound is only 3-4 days north and offers the warmest swimming/sailing waters North of Mexico. If you want to drive/trailer, you can put in at Lund...just a thought. Buchart is a great destination if you like gardens, spent many days there in the past. If bouys are full, you can sneak another boat or two inside carefully or visit the Provincial Park further down the waterway. You could take the ferry from Anacortes and put in at Sidney.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san juan islands