Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 20:23   #76

Boat: 28' Islander Sailboat "Gusto" and 1999 24' Larson Hampton "H2O HOG"
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Keychain charm??
That's funny.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:04   #77

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Sucia is an Island on the north side of Orcas Island, usually the last stop before heading North to Vancouver and beyond. It's mostly anchorage, don't remember seeing mooring balls. Since it's a park you'll most likely have to pay for a ball. The best spot is to the West in the Echo Bay. Shallow Bay is good for power boats or cats but is the windy side.

You'll not want to anchor between the small islands. There is a current during tide change and the bottom is mostly rock.

There is a beach inside echo bay where one can land a dinghy. And some trails around the island. But there are some private homes in several places that warrant respect.

Be weary of a shallow spot on the north end of Shallow Bay. We draw six feet and settled into the mud quite nicely

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:40   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
That brings up a good point. Where, exactly are we meeting? I can get there early and bring hamburgers/hot dogs and have a ready grill.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 13:03   #79

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Be weary of a shallow spot on the north end of Shallow Bay. We draw six feet and settled into the mud quite nicely
I wonder why they call it Shallow Bay

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 13:10   #80

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
That brings up a good point. Where, exactly are we meeting? I can get there early and bring hamburgers/hot dogs and have a ready grill.
The only bay that can, with any guarantees, take on all comers is Echo Bay, so the logical choice is the dinghy beach at Echo Bay.

The rest of them can fill up, freezing out late comers. Echo Bay, OTOH, never fully fills up.
Old 05-03-2010, 13:11   #81

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I would say the Eastern beach area. The last time I was there a picnic table was up on the knol. One can walk easily to the beach from Shallow Bay. We should put up a CF flag in the general area.
Old 05-03-2010, 13:22   #82

Actually, last summer I noticed that the Park service put in a new group picnic area up on the knoll. Maybe we should think about reserving it. Even got stairs to the water.
Old 05-03-2010, 13:35   #83

Picnic and Day-use Facilities

The park offers 25 picnic sites, three picnic shelters, potable drinking water and composting toilets. Day-use areas may be reserved by calling the park at (360) 376-2073.

Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission - Park Information
Old 05-03-2010, 13:49   #84

Boat: Radford 40
If I could figure out how to get there in time and still meet my Carib obligations, I woud join you! I loved cruising the San Juans on my last boat, a 36 ft Blackwatch named Taunt!
Tom Hildebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 13:51   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I wonder why they call it Shallow Bay

Paul L
But why do they call it Echo Bay? I've never found the Echo.
Old 05-03-2010, 14:02   #86

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
But why do they call it Echo Bay? I've never found the Echo.
I think they were being pretty simplistic and literal when naming the bays on Sucia: shallow bay, fox cove, fossil bay, echo bay. I bet if you go out at around sunset in your dinghy around mid Echo Bay and give a good blast of your air horn pointed inward, you'll hear an echo.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 15:12   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Is anyone going to be there before me? I should be there somewhere around 1-2pm. If not, I will call and make the reservations.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 15:54   #88

I'll be working but take off a Friday or Monday, depending, and make a it long weekend to meet people. I assume others might be in the same boat (pun?). Maybe a second day off two. What the hell. Live large.
Old 05-03-2010, 15:55   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I think they were being pretty simplistic and literal when naming the bays on Sucia: shallow bay, fox cove, fossil bay, echo bay. I bet if you go out at around sunset in your dinghy around mid Echo Bay and give a good blast of your air horn pointed inward, you'll hear an echo.

Paul L
There are some cliffs ringing the bay, so I suppose exploration is in order. I have a new Feathercraft kayak on board, so I need excuses to explore.
Old 05-03-2010, 16:10   #90

Boat: Beneteau 393
We'd love to go, but right now it looks like Jody will have already left on a cruise of the 7-month variety....
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote