Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2010, 15:37   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I just got back form a few days of cruising. Interestingly I was boarded while coming through Boundary Pass by a joint task force of the RCMP and USCG. Very polite and I found the whole thing entertaining. On the US side the CG takes the lead and on the Canadian side the RCMP takes the lead. They checked my operators card, registration and required saftey gear. I was short 2 flares and didn't have an axe on board so was "ticketed" which is to say, they asked me to make amends before going out but it could have been a $200 ticket. They are boarding a lot of boats apparently.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 16:08   #62

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Last summer, checked in at Friday Harbor in late afternoon. It was a piece of cake.
Call them from the dock, they asked a couple of questions, both of us went up to the office, paid our $25(?) fee and that was it.
The only problem I've ever had at Friday Harbor during the summer is that one time all the Custom's dock space was full. But they were good about flushing people through real fast.
Old 22-02-2010, 16:17   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I . . . didn't have an axe on board so was "ticketed"
I hope that axe requirement is a Canadian requirement. I wasn't aware of it for the US side.

If so, that's interesting. I wonder how many US boats in Canadian waters comply.

Funny how just two weeks ago I purchased an axe for the boat. Stupid so-called SS Gerber folding handsaw had its mild steel axle corrode out in less than three years storage on the boat.
Old 22-02-2010, 16:18   #64

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
For those that haven't been here, make sure you bring warm clothes including hats and gloves. Even with a nice warm day if you get a good breeze over the 52F water it can get pretty chilly. The windstopper fleece gloves work well and a fleece top with a light rain coat are usually sufficient. Full weather gear">foul weather gear is necessary if you are going to be sailing in bad weather with good warm layers underneath. A lot of guests we have had are surprised how cold it can feel because they are not used to the cold water effect on the wind chill.

If you are launching at Anacortes try to time it to catch the last of an ebb tide out Guemes channel or you'll be fighting current for quite awhile. If you can time it ride the ebb out to Reef point on the south end of Cypress Is. and then catch the flood going north in Rosario you can cut your time down considerably going to Sucia. If you can't time it perfectly and you find yourself fighting current in Rosario there is a counter current that flows north on the inside (east) of Strawberry Island. Then you can cut across to the east side of Orcas Is. and be out of the main current to Pt. Lawrence.

Wish we were going to be around for the get together, but plan to leave Blakely Is. and be at least to Desolation by that time.

One further note, Blakely Island store and marina will be open again this coming summer. We (homeowners) are hiring someone to manage it again so there should be ice cream (huge waffle cones), fresh donuts, beer, wine, pop, hot dogs, espresso, ice, some staples, and gas and diesel from about the 1st of May or so thru Labor Day or a bit later. Moorage is available, you can call the store to check on availability or call on 66 if you are close.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 16:40   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal 43 View Post

We really like both Anacortes & Bellingham. Safeway across the street in Anacortes is very handy.
Within a two blocks of Cap Sante Boat Haven in Anacortes, there is the Safeway, West Marine, Radio Shack, a local hardware store, US Customs, and a used bookstore. Add a few blocks and you have Ace Hardware (propane fills), a pharmacy, another large grocery store, and an auto parts store (lubes and such). This is ignoring all the eateries within walking distance.
Old 22-02-2010, 16:40   #66

Del, you have at least one crew member at the ready...

Assuming we don't kill each other at dinner...

Cheers!

Dan
Dan Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 16:53   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
I hope that axe requirement is a Canadian requirement. I wasn't aware of it for the US side.

If so, that's interesting. I wonder how many US boats in Canadian waters comply.

Funny how just two weeks ago I purchased an axe for the boat. Stupid so-called SS Gerber folding handsaw had its mild steel axle corrode out in less than three years storage on the boat.
An axe would seem the natural enemy of a boat ... but there must be some instance where fire can be dealt with more easily with an axe. They told me it didn't matter what the axe was like, the regs just say axe.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 17:02   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Susan View Post
Anacortes it is then! Thanks.
If your goal is Sucia, check your tidal currents before you make that decision. Anacortes can present some current challenges if you manage to time it wrong. Don't ask how I know.
Old 22-02-2010, 17:04   #69

Quote:
An axe would seem the natural enemy of a boat ... but there must be some instance where fire can be dealt with more easily with an axe. They told me it didn't matter what the axe was like, the regs just say axe.
I know better than to argue with regulators, but I would like them explain to me what I'm going to do with an axe in a fire on steel boat. Cut my extinguishers open, I suppose. LOL.
Old 22-02-2010, 17:54   #70

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Jonh...Dude!...You were supposed to buy a "gas hatchet' you silly goose...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 19:36   #71

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Keychain charm??

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 22:49   #72

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It's to cut down a tree incase one is de-masted.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:16   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Yeah that is weird about the axe. My boat came with one, and I shaking my head, removed it. I will find one of those axe/shovels. At least I can use that when digging clams. I appreciate the imput however- keeps me on the good side of the law...
For future use- where on Blakely Island is your marina?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 20:11   #74

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Blakely Marina- NW side of island, just at the south end of Peavine Pass. It's the only public facility on the island.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 00:23   #75

Boat: Gemini 105Mc hull#832
customs

1. Apply for a Canpass. It takes about 4-6 weeks. It lasts for five years. Call in when you start to cross Boundary pass. Make your port of entry Port Browning not Bedwell Harbor. Wait 15 minutes in Port Browning then you are clear to go, if the customs agent doesn't show (they never have). Canpass holders are in the computer and are known (when we call they ask us if the cats are on board).
2. Apply for the U.S. decal. Another 6 week wait. It lasts for one year($25). Enter at Roach Harbor. They see the decal. They see your passport. They ask how the cats are. Leave.
It is so much easier if you follow their rules. Not yours.
"Huckleberry Friend" Gemini 105Mc #832
cwithboat is offline   Reply With Quote