Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 13:12   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Susan View Post
I'm new to the Forum... HI everybody ...
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Susan.

"Gas suckers"*, mono' sailors, & multi-sailors are all welcome; tho' we like to kid each other.

* Particularly if you have an ice-maker aboard - but even if not.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 17:33   #17

Boat: 28' Islander Sailboat "Gusto" and 1999 24' Larson Hampton "H2O HOG"
Thanks GordMay! No Ice Maker, but never without "Cool"! Are you familiar with the San Juan Islands? I guess my main concern is if we need reservations for slips or mooring during the summer.
Trader Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 17:40   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Welcome aboard Susan. Last year we did not make reservations till that day, always found a slip or mooring ball. Guides are easy to come by, and very useful. San Juans have got to be one of the nicest places I have ever cruised.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 17:51   #19

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Hi all I will be in Victoria or the Canadian Gulf islands from May to October. I would like to join in at some point. I will probably circumnavigate Vancouver Island in Late June and be back around and somewhere between Desolation sound and Port Hardy in August. My plans depend more on weather than time. Retirement rocks. I am presntly in the Philippines for the winter months. Don't have a boat out here yet but a 36' cat is in the planning stage.
Old 05-02-2010, 18:24   #20

Boat: Schock 35
We love to cruise from Seattle to the Gulf Islands and beyond and have found that having on board an I68 makes entry back into the States a non-issue. Highly recommended.
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 19:40   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Trader Susan

Sucia is an Island on the north side of Orcas Island, usually the last stop before heading North to Vancouver and beyond. It's mostly anchorage, don't remember seeing mooring balls. Since it's a park you'll most likely have to pay for a ball. The best spot is to the West in the Echo Bay. Shallow Bay is good for power boats or cats but is the windy side.

You'll not want to anchor between the small islands. There is a current during tide change and the bottom is mostly rock.

There is a beach inside echo bay where one can land a dinghy. And some trails around the island. But there are some private homes in several places that warrant respect.

Old 05-02-2010, 20:14   #22

Boat: Currently boatless
delmarrey gave some great information. Just to add to that, we have a 6' draft and have anchored in Shallow Bay both times we've been to Sucia. The South corner of the bay is pretty coated in kelp and was difficult to get a set when we had our CQR but the Manson seemed to bite well it in. The North part of the bay is better holding (we hear) but was full both times we were there.

The hiking on that island is fantastic. We want to visit Patos next time we are out that way.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 21:45   #23

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
Trader Susan,
Welcome to the forum. The San Juans are one of the premier cruising areas in the country, if not the world. There are many great places to visit including Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor on San Juan Island, Deer Harbor on Orcas Island and Fisherman Bay on Lopez Island but these are very busy places in the summer months. There are hundreds of beautiful places to drop the hook in relative solitude if that's what you want. Between the San Juans and the Canadian Gulf Islands the are 450 islands at high tide and less than one sixth of them are permanently inhabited. Some of the smaller islands are state parks. Sucia Island is one of the state parks and the most popular with more than 100,000 people visiting each year.
Dan
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:57   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Umm- I was there last summer and there are a lot of mooring balls in Echo bay north towards the beach. There is a fee for using the balls. And your right- it can get crowded. If we get a large group it may behoove us to go to shallow bay or fox cove. I have a 6 foot draft so I am a bit squirrelly about shallow areas...
For that matter, Sucia is not the only island in that area. I am OK with Patos, Matia or even Clark. Whatever the group wants to do.
Are you guys in to rafting or just anchoring and visiting by dingy? Maybe anchoring and all going to the beach for a get together.
BTW what is a I68?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:22   #25

Boat: Schock 35
The I-68 is a US CBP form that, when completed, allows you to enter from Canada to the US simply by making a cell phone call. Without it you are required to check into a certain port to clear customs. It is easy to get one in Seattle as an office is here. I don't know how difficult it would be in other areas.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_I68.pdf
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:06   #26

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
If you do not have an I-68, do not try and clear customs at Port Townsend without an appointment. On delivery back from Swiftsure last year we pulled in to PT (our first port of entry) thinking we were doing the right thing. It took over two hours for the customs agent to show up. When he was done, he made me sign a paper stating I was subject to a $5,000 fine if I did it again without an appointment. Another boat that arrived within minutes of us experienced the same thing.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I've been told some of them are cash only, some credit card only, some are almost never open and the onus is on you. I guess the answer is phone well ahead of time and find out what the scoop is.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18   #28

Boat: 28' Islander Sailboat "Gusto" and 1999 24' Larson Hampton "H2O HOG"
Wow! Thanks for all the great information! I'll watch for dates for a get-together this Summer.
Trader Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:44   #29

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
If you do not have an I-68, do not try and clear customs at Port Townsend without an appointment. On delivery back from Swiftsure last year we pulled in to PT (our first port of entry) thinking we were doing the right thing. It took over two hours for the customs agent to show up. When he was done, he made me sign a paper stating I was subject to a $5,000 fine if I did it again without an appointment. Another boat that arrived within minutes of us experienced the same thing.
I've always found Roache Harbor to be the easiest on return. Out of our 6 times there the longest only took 45 minutes. If you get their early in the day there is no wait at all. The last time I arrived just before dark and just anchored out, then checked in first thing in the morning. They didn't even go aboard for an inspection.

From the questions they asked and things they said it was like they already knew us, like a neighbor. Maybe it was because the wife now has a US passport vs. Canadian.

BTW If your going to Canada you'll need one of these on return. it's best to get it online before you leave. http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/cbp_form_339v.pdf
Old 06-02-2010, 11:08   #30

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Add me to the list. Heading north 2 week of July. Good heads up about coming home. I will see about options for preclearance. I will be on the lookout for all of you,

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote