Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 13:59   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
San Francisco to Seattle

I am being transferred to the PNW and my time line to get there is between mid May and end July of this year. I am really hesitant to have the boat trucked up; mainly because I don’t want to miss the experience to sail there but also to avoid going through the trouble of preparing the boat for an over-the-road transport. I have sufficient time to sail there and I wonder whether anyone on this board has done this passage.
I am looking at either going all the way to Hawaii, leave the boat there for one month and then sail her up to Seattle or, go far enough offshore to be able to cross over without motoring too much. I don’t like the idea of going up straight along the coast since that will probably involve a lot of motoring (and fog).
I am looking at the pros and cons of both options. For the Hawaii option I’d like to know if there would be slips available (max. 1 month) and how far north I’d have to go to catch the favorable NW winds.
For the off-shore option I’d like to know what sea-state I can expect and how far off-shore I need to go to be able to tack and go straight to the Straits of Juan de Fuca.
How big of a crew does one need, 3, 4 or more?
My boat is a Wauquiez Pretorian, completely ready for blue-water cruising.

Jan
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 15:11   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jan,
Finding a slip for one month probably won't be too much of a problem. Come to Hilo Harbor and I think they'll charge $8.50 a day until the rates go up in a couple of months.
From Hawaii to PNW is a big hook, first Northwest, then North, then East. I've done it and you don't have to motor much. 2500 miles on 40 gals of diesel. The later you wait the better the weather. Best being from 1 August depart Hawaii. Anytime from mid May to June is good. My transit was 23 days from Hanalei, Kauai to Seattle with a 27 foot waterline.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 15:14   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha again Jan,
There are no slips in Hilo but there is med moor and anchoring in Radio Bay, Hilo Harbor, East coast of Hawaii Island, Hawaii. Usually good weather that time of year.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 16:32   #4

Thanks John

Great info - yes, the SF/Hawaii/Seattle route seems to be the least taxing on crew and boat. Thanks again John.
Old 02-03-2007, 21:20   #5

::nod::

Everything I've read suggests that's the best route for sailing on her bottom, but you'd save money and wear and tear by trucking the boat. You'll have at least as much hassle/effort involved in preparing to sail to HI and then up and over as you would preparing for shipping.

There are benefits for the Hawaii trip. But being better/easier than shipping it isn't. Focus on the real reasons for sailing - experience, skills, adventure.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:38   #6

Boat: Westsail 32
my $.02 about trucking - I used Dudley back in 2003 and once you could actually find a truck and set the date it was quiet easy. I wasn't even present at the decomissioning as the boat was in San Diego and I was in Seattle. Everything ended up costing around $3,000 in the end.

Also, I have several friends that have made the trip N along the coast from San Fran to Seattle. The trick, as always is finding the right weather pattern. This might be tough in the months you mentioned since it's dominated by N'ers from the N Pacific High. It may be possible to ride a cold front up N but that would mean strong winds and bigger seas. Delivery skippers usually just go the 'floating fuel can' route for this time of year but in the end it's only about a four day trip straight through.
micoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:10   #7

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Been there, trucked it.

I moved last winter. Trucking was a no brainer 'cause I made friends with the trucker's son when I was here on vacation.

I had Nelson's boatyard (Alameda) mark the turnbuckles, pull the boat apart and then load it on the truck. I reassembled it up here as a weekend project.

What town are you moving to?

-jim lee
Old 11-03-2007, 08:50   #8

Moving up North

Hey Jim:

You might remember that a while back we exchanged some info on Oyster Point Cove in South San Francisco. I moved to Alameda in the mean time and also changed boats. I am moving to Sequim and I am flying up there this coming weekend to find a place to dock my boat. At this time John Wayne Marine in Sequim doesn't have space for my 35 footer and Port Townsend's marine is being renovated. I might be able to find a private dock for the interim.
My old boat was sold to a couple in Seattle and I arranged the trucking for them with Dudley. Trucking for them was $3,700.00 excl. prepping by SF Boatworks.
I have time on my hand so I am really partial to sailing the boat up (via Hawaii). With all the preparation, haul-out, new bottom paint etc I estimate the total costs to be around $6,000.00.

Jan
Old 11-03-2007, 18:04   #9

Mmmm PT

As I understand it, Boat Haven is not under reconstruction, only the Point Wilson marina. Boat Haven usually has a few spots open, but maybe only as temporary. There's a resort in Discovery Bay which may have temporary moorage available. Ask John Wayne if they have a bigger slip (I know of a motor boat which has recently departed) as it may be more expensive to moor elsewhere than to pay the longer slip fee (and you can be on the waiting list for when a smaller slip opens up. Remember you have to add your commute costs to the total slip costs.)

Lund used to be pretty tight in that size range, but it's been nearly 7 years since I was looking so they may have some openings. Ditto for Hadlock. I don't know a thing about Port Angeles, but I'd think there'd be some marina in the region, and likely cheaper than Port Townsend (which is where I used to moor.)

Old 11-03-2007, 18:30   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Port Ludlow might be a stretch, but it's worth checking.
The Resort At Port Ludlow - The Ultimate Northwest Destination

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 19:52   #11

Boat: Creekmore 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepro
I am being transferred to the PNW and my time line to get there is between mid May and end July of this year. I am really hesitant to have the boat trucked up; mainly because I don’t want to miss the experience to sail there but also to avoid going through the trouble of preparing the boat for an over-the-road transport. I have sufficient time to sail there and I wonder whether anyone on this board has done this passage.
I am looking at either going all the way to Hawaii, leave the boat there for one month and then sail her up to Seattle or, go far enough offshore to be able to cross over without motoring too much. I don’t like the idea of going up straight along the coast since that will probably involve a lot of motoring (and fog).
I am looking at the pros and cons of both options. For the Hawaii option I’d like to know if there would be slips available (max. 1 month) and how far north I’d have to go to catch the favorable NW winds.
For the off-shore option I’d like to know what sea-state I can expect and how far off-shore I need to go to be able to tack and go straight to the Straits of Juan de Fuca.
How big of a crew does one need, 3, 4 or more?
My boat is a Wauquiez Pretorian, completely ready for blue-water cruising.

Jan

I made many a trip coming down what we would call it 125th street..125W longitude from Seattle To San Francisco.."In that time slot" as ship's officer.."I just hope you have a strong stomach and prepared to take a beating..
Tom967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 20:54   #12

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
I wouldn't recommend leaving a boat unattended for a month in Radio Bay and the availability of slip elsewhere in the Islands is probamatical at best.

My crew of one and I left Hanalei, Kauai and crossed the Columbia River bar July 4th 21 days later in a year of very flukey weather in my Nordic 40. It was a great trip from Puerto Villarta to the Islands and back to the PNW, but sailing and anchoring in the islands was not something I would do again.

Hglad
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08   #13

Question for Tom

Tom967: I've heard of 125th St. as well, and I'm wondering how set in stone that is? There are two camps among the cruisers I've spoken with; one group saying that if you're willing to put up with the waves, stand out to about 128° and then south and you'll never see a commercial vessel, and the other group saying the commercial traffic is pretty spread out along the coast, trying to avoid each other.

The two routes down the coast for cruisers seem to be rock-hopping inside the commercial traffic, or getting beat up by the waves offshore. I'd love to know if the majority of ships stick to any one route when they're traveling up or down the west coast.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:55   #14

Thanks for all the valuable input

Great info on all aspects of this passage.

I have now decided to leave sometime mid July for Hawaii and go straight from there to the PNW (in stead of leaving the boat unattended in Hilo for one month). I'll make landfall in Hilo/Radio Bay and stay there for probably 3 to 4 days. Any suggestions on the route to Hawaii? Should I stay high or low?

Jan
Old 12-03-2007, 13:06   #15

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepro
Great info on all aspects of this passage.

I have now decided to leave sometime mid July for Hawaii and go straight from there to the PNW (in stead of leaving the boat unattended in Hilo for one month). I'll make landfall in Hilo/Radio Bay and stay there for probably 3 to 4 days. Any suggestions on the route to Hawaii? Should I stay high or low?

Jan
Jan,
Don't take this the wrong way. I'm all for seeing folks actually sail their boat. Your boat isn't an old square rigger. You are going to spend something like 35-40 days at sea to avoid 5-days of mostly motoring? If you really have the 40-days availabe to you, then you would also have the time to sit out weather and bring that motoring time way down.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco, seattle