Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 14:24   #16

Boat: Coronado 27 Yamaha SX230
What a great place

I sure am glad that I came across the discussion board here ! Thank you all for the info. Like I said there is no timeline set for this trip as to the start of it. We plan to get out on the bay every chance we get and in whatever weather there is. Equipment and safety are the top concern for us in our preparations. Not sure if I should post this question here or in an other post, I am looking for recommendations for boat yards in San Francisco. Again I thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.
riderdiveraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 15:48   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
RDAZ:

This is a great book on the coast. I have done the trip from SFto SD on an Express 27. It can be great fun or just plain boring or crap in your pants scary. I have heard of people doing it in a Santana 22. It is possible to do it in a Coronado 27 but if you are not a very experienced sailor I would not recommend it. Sail the boat around SF Bay and then imagine the waves ten feet higher and the wind aa third higher. That is what can be like. Other times it is a milk pond. Like the last time I rounded it. I was going to go up to Cojo in the wind was blowing 40+ in Santa Barbra must have been harder around Conception. Good luck planning your trip sounds like fun. Personally I would put the boat in the water in Santa Barbra and then work my way to San Diego.

The Cruising Guide to Central and ... - Google Books

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:11   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
I am looking for recommendations for boat yards in San Francisco.
There are several but I would suggest Richmond Boat Works, aka Keefe Kaplan Maritime, Inc. if you're in the northeast bay or Svendsen's Boat Works if you're in the Alameda area. In Sausalito, there is Anderson's Boat Yard Services . More information can be found at BoatingSF.com: All About San Francisco Bay By Boat .
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:20   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
There are several but I would suggest Richmond Boat Works, aka Keefe Kaplan Maritime, Inc. if you're in the northeast bay or Svendsen's Boat Works if you're in the Alameda area. In Sausalito, there is Anderson's Boat Yard Services . More information can be found at BoatingSF.com: All About San Francisco Bay By Boat .

although my slip is within a mile of Anderson's I sail the two-hour (one way) trip to Svedsen's to get yardwork done. Most of my dock neighbors feel the same way. I recently had both yards quote a metal fabrication job. Anderson's said that it would take between 4-5 days labor and quoted the tubing at $25 per foot. Svendsen's said they could do the job in 2 days and quoted the tubing at $13 per foot. And the Svendsen's metal shop has the better reputation for welding. Needless to say, their work on my boat was on-time and gorgeous. The fact that I saved $2,400 taking the boat across the bay made the return trip that much more enjoyable.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:37   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Bash--

Good call. It has been some while since we lived in San Francisco (tho' we remain members of Richmond Yacht Club) and I was unaware that the Sausalito Premium had gotten so great. We abandoned or slip in Sausalito in favor of RYC and always had good luck with Richmond Boat Works which, then, didn't seem so bent on performing a walletectomy as did some of the other yards. Svedsen's seems like the yard of choice, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I had a horrible & a good experience with Svend's. I had a good experience with Berkely Marine Center. Yet others have had a bad experience with BMC. Do your shopping around on the phone. Make some price comparisons. Get a feel for who they are, and possibly a visit. BEST WISHES in getting good work done at a fair price......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 21:43   #22

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderdiveraz View Post
Well we did it my son and I bought a sailboat that we plan to sail to San Diego. We are looking for all the advice we can get to help us prepare for the trip. Could anyone direct us to books, or web sites that would be helpful ? No timeline has been set yet.
Get a book called Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California: Golden Gate to Ensenada, Mexico, Including the Offshore Islands by Brian M. Fagan.

You can port hop all the way down the coast to San Diego, pulling into a port almost everyday. The longest hardest section will be from Monterey to Point Conception, if you can't pull into Port San Luis and or Morro Bay because of weather. If you can't make the trip before summer is over, then I would wait until next Spring when the wind and weather will be in your favor. Once you clear Point Conception you'll be in Southern California, and then everything gets easier. If you get to Monterey call ahead to Morro Bay to see how the weather conditions are there, and if Morro Bay tells you to not come, then stay in Monterey until Morro Bay tells you otherwise...conditions can get real nasty in that section. Fog can be a problem all along the coast, but if conditions are good you may not get any fog...but be prepared for fog.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:28   #23

Boat: 41 HUNTER AC
Re: San Francisco to San Diego

Bought a Catalina 387 in Alameda and made the trip in October and made daily hops. Had to stay in Monterrey for 4 days to wait a bad storm. Most of the threads match my advise. Just one note when you leave San Fran be sure and make sure tide is going out and go all they way to entry buoy before you head South, you don't want any part of the Potato Patch. Then be ready for a lot of fog mornings. Then beware Point Conception can be like a lake passing but then we were surprised to hit 30 knots wind in after we rounded in the Santa Barbara Channel. It is a good trip just watch the weather and prepare to wait it out.
RONHARDIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego, san francisco