Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 18:57   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'
San Francisco to Los Angeles

I found a boat that I am considering getting that is in San Francisco Bay and was wondering about the advisability of trying to sail it down the coast this time of year.
Short hops in carefully planned weather windows?

Let me know what you think.

By the way it is a wooden ketch 32'LWL, 36 LOD, 49LOA, Sea witch type.
Old 02-11-2010, 19:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Shouldn't be a problem if the winds follow the usual pattern of NWesterlies. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of southeries and southwesterlies this summer. They've been light so no danger just a lot of engine time for a boat like the SeaWitch.

I've done it twice in Westsail 32s and made it from the Gate to Newport Beach in less than 4 days both times. If you want to make stops along the way, there's enough harbors a days sail apart to make it an easy but leisurely sail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 23:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This time of year you absolutely need to check the weather and the forecasts. Things can change very quickly. Here is the Point Reyes buoy wave-height report from tonight:

And as roverhi mentions, as the low-pressure systems move down the coast the wind will be from the south. I've never made the trip in the winter, and suggest you get good advice from someone who has.

During settled conditions the trip south can be very nice. I would stay well offshore of Pt. Conception -- the seas can get pretty confused in close.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:39   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
this is a la nina year-should be storms in dec-feb.. most of the weather heads south, i am leaving san diego for mexico in december--- the usual window is until feb. come on down. be safe and use tethers. pacific can get huge.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
be safe and use tethers. pacific can get huge.
I've already had a bit of experience with that, well large not huge.
Thanks for all the replies.

Does anyone know good (free if possible) anchorages on the way?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Keep an eye on the weather and sea state. Know all the places you can duck in before you depart.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:31   #7

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
Does anyone know good (free if possible) anchorages on the way?
Monterey (not great, but a fun place), a little cubby hole just south of Pt. Sur, San Simeon, maybe still Port San Luis, the Channel Islands (many many anchorages), Santa Barbara if the surf isn't up, and Newport Beach (small space in the harbor). There are others, just can't remember them now...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:24   #8

los angeles harbor doesnt have anchoring anymore.

dont know i passing this far south from los angeles, but----

dana point has a place to anchor, i believe--just check in the police stationn on the south side of harbor and they do the honors. oceanside i am not familiar with. MISSION BAY has a difficult entrance-- BE CAREUL here-- the entrance is to the RIGHT of the place ye thunk it-- look very very closely at charts and dont approach in darkness-- san diego has no anchorages without permission o harbor police. lol. they WILL ticket and tow. please check in with police at the muni docks--there is an anchorage for long term also-- every 30 days re-permit for 3 only times--total 90 days.
conapesca is in san diego-- 5 min to get mexican fish license-- is near downtown, easy access for bicycle and bus. atr sd, there is ensenada i you are crazy, and there is the series of bays the haha uses and bahia asuncion--is a south facing bay with gentle folks and a nice atitude. and a fish processing plant for lobsters and abalones. do not take any if those from sea there as poaching is a big deal-- check with conapesca or what and where and how many to be able to get /catch and eat.

as re mission bay--i BELIEVE they ar ederedging the channel--wa sso shallow there were breakers in the entrance---was a special trip to pass.... now is going to be different-- keep an eye out there. once inside mission bay jetty, head to end of h=jetty and head into the lil cove on the left side of the jetty. is anchorage.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

Thanks, for all the info. Is there any particular weather patter that should be given extra caution?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02   #10

wow!! the ones that get you wet.. oops- seriously-- any roguish seas.. are a warning of more to come..if your seas start getting strange or different from your "norm"--find a hole. if at santa barbara channel--- be CAREFUL!!!! looks normal but cn be a real bitch-- sneaky. if wind coming of shore--sail like wind and get to where you are going-- you are ok for a minuet. is a blessing . keep eye on barometer!!!! this yr is la nina-- so weather may just be on your nose most of way-- i am not familiar with the north of conception weather but i know when you hit conception, your weather willseem to lay down-- you go under the safety of the hook of the point--is western most part of kali. if is nasty, you are allowed to anchor there-- a friend has a 33 ft blue pearson there--- he is goood folks and helpful to sailors.-please check on him for me. his name is mark.
if you have weather on puter in boat-- look at wundergrround and see what they predict.
any winds off the shore to sea are good sailing. use them/ even i faster than ye wish--reef and run!!
weird calms mean STORM!!! find shelter.

Tags
san francisco