Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2009, 20:12   #1

San Diego to Monterey

Just joined here and looking for info / advice. I read the thread a Aug posting to sail from San Fran to San Diego and got some good info.

I am moving to Monterey from San Diego and have to be up there in Jan 2010. I've been digging through options on how to get my Ericson 35 up there and being the stubborn man I am, I really want to sail (probably motor most of the way based on N & NW winds) her up there. Other options are costly and I don't really have 2 weeks to take my time doing it. So, looking at doing this in about 5 days.

Big things I took from the SF to SD thread was:
-Really have to watch the weather from Pt Conception to Monterey and may have to plan on delaying based on the latest weather reports. If weather is "ify" and still want to push on, probably have to plan on Morro Bay being closed and a long leg to Monterey
-Highly recommend Radar. Yea, more $$!!
-Don't even know where the shipping lanes are! Got some chart recon work to do
-Ensure a sound vessel and prepare for the worst

I just bought the Ericson a couple months ago and she was found to be very sound from the Survey and the times I've taken her out since. Her engine's a Diesel with no history of issues with basic maintenance maintained, but of course you never know! So, I'm currently studying the Marine Diesel Engine Bible for emergency maintenance. I'm getting some updated electronics to put on her including the SIRIUS Sat Wx Reports. I guess that includes Radar too now.

My real dilemma right now is CREW! I had some friends that wanted to go, but work sched's are tough to work around. Be nice to have some people I get along with, but really looking for some experience so I can maybe get a few hours of sleep along the way! I'm have some time offshore, but I'm no world sailor and never been in really nasty (>15') stuff.

So, any advice here would be great! Even to try and convince me of pay $2k to have here de-rigged / rigged and move her on land.
Menez_La_Vie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego