Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2009, 23:03   #1

Boat: 880 waller catamaran
San Diego to Catalina

We are planing a trip to the Island in late July/early August.
I have been reading the posts of the good and bad of the trip/stay lately.
(I will be leaving the windsurfer home this time).
Is two Harbors really, really crowed this time of the year? and what can I expect an average time to make the trip in from San Diego?
We have a 29' catamaran with a butt load of sail, 50.0 M2 (538s/f)
on a 41' mast.
Polunu880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 12:01   #2

I don't know about sailing duration on a cat as you described, but Avalon and Two Harbors can both be very full at that time of year. We had luck and picked up a mooring in White Cove last August for 3 nights on a weekend. It was calm, protected, and not too noisy. There's anchorage there too if you can't get a mooring. Be advised that the moorings beginning with H at Avalon are Hamilton Cove and they are terrible, especially for overnight. They are unprotected and very rough.
AVSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 12:37   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Nice looking cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16   #4

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I have gone to Two Harbors every Aug for 6 years and always managaed to get a mooring. Weekend is the difficult time, but if you have been there for a few days in advance, say since Wed you get priority. You may have to switch moorings, but you still have a place. I leave San Diego Sat night and time it so that I get to Two Harbors around 1000. The weekend crowd usualy starts leaving about that time and they start assigning moorings to new arrivals. It's a great place, we always stay in Cherry Cove.

Go and have fun
Old 02-05-2009, 12:57   #5

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Whats your average speed to weather? Looks like a 20 hour sail for your boat. Or something in that neighborhood. Since your coming up from SD, think about Catalina Harbor. It wouldn't be much further than a couple of miles. It's been years since I was there, but was always a nice anchorage and not as crowded since it's a considerably longer trip from the LA area. It has lots of anchorage area besides moorings. Plus just a short walk over to Two Harbors Village.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03   #6

Boat: Looking for a new boat
It took us about 13 hours to motor (in our sailboat) going about 6 knots. Total barforama the whole way.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49   #7

Boat: 880 waller catamaran

thanks for the replies, under power i can make it in less than 14 hours.
My boat points pretty good (about 45 degrees or so).
hopefully our trip won't be a barforama
Polunu880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 14:54   #8

Is it feasible to sail a boat from san diego to san francisco in late nov/ early dec?
How much time would one allot to do it? What are the typical conditions this time of year? I could really use the help.
kenny547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 15:25   #9

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
kenny547: It's possible at that time, this year. The Pacific High is still stationed north enough, at the moment, to afford us relief from the heavy storms of further north. It won't hold for long, though. Watch the weather maps for the fronts advancing south. You can get to Santa Barbara in 24-36 hours depending on your boat's motoring speed. Then watch the weather. Try to leave at night to get around Point Conception and the coast above. Plan on pulling into Port San Luis or Morro Bay if weather begins to deteriorate. Otherwise, keep on plugging until you get to the Bay. It can take as little as three days, if you are lucky. If you wait longer, the storms get too regular and forceful to make it reasonable, though you could make it in short hops in between the fronts, if you have propitiated the gods with available libations and other meaningful offerings. I think that virgins have become in short supply, or maybe, their value as dropped amongst the more sophisticated sea gods (and goddesses?). It won't be warm or gentle, in all probability. I hope that answers your question.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 16:01   #10

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
kenny547, that's a serious trip.

as roy m points out, it's all about the santa barbara to monterey leg. (you can harbor hop from sd to sb, and from monterey to sf bay.) this trip is much much easier in the spring, summer, and fall... because you can use anchorages with southern exposures to break up the trip. in winter, port san luis and san simeon anchorage are IFFY -- good in NW'erly, bad in S'erly, and generally rolly & uncomfortable. that makes it roughly 125 NM from sb to morro bay, then another 125 NM to monterey.

i've been watching weather for a trip south. right now, fronts are coming thru about every 5-6 days. the windows of variable and/or southerly winds are running 24-48 hours max... then typically a NW gale fills in. good sailing!
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 18:16   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
depends on the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny547 View Post
Is it feasible to sail a boat from san diego to san francisco in late nov/ early dec?
How much time would one allot to do it? What are the typical conditions this time of year? I could really use the help.
I've done it. Once. In an Oyster 48.5. We had an "excellent" forecast for a weather window, and the voyage was as miserable as they get.

Feasible? Yes, especially if you've got a boat more seaworthy than an Oyster 48.5. Desirable? Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
Old 15-11-2009, 18:24   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
back to the original question...

...of whether Twin Harbors is "really, really crowded" in late July, early August:

by SoCal standards, no, not necessarily. Maybe not, like, on weekdays, anyway.

by rest-of-the-world-standards, especially among those of us who don't commute on the 405, OH MY GOD!!! HOW DO THEY FIT SO MANY BOATS INTO THIS BLEEPING COVE?
Old 21-11-2009, 18:55   #13

To: Roy, Bash and Kiapa

Thanks for the good info. I will definitly consider this on my future endeavor. Its people like you that make it such a privledge to be a part of this site. Thanks and keep it comin'!
kenny547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 07:19   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Kenny--

This link: Sailors Choice - Catalina Island, California has information on the island. Considering your boat, I suggest that you make for Catalina "Cat" Harbor on the west side of the island. It is an all weather anchorage and is much less crowded than the east side of Two Harbors or Avalon--both of which are somewhat akin to trailer parks on most weekends. There a many photos of Cat Harbor available via Google Images.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego