Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-01-2011, 10:47   #1

Boat: Hunter Marine, Hunter 28.5
San Diego to Baja in March ?

Realizing that this is the perfect time to take a run at coastal cruising life I am hoping to head south from San Diego as soon as the boat is ready and our posessions abd shore life are packed away.

We own a small Hunter 28.5 that we intend to use to test the lifestyle out for a month or so. If we get the bug and choose to continue we will obviously upgrade soon.

We think that we could set sail as soon as april/march 2011 and will see how far we get in 3-6 weeks, tie the boat up, flip to larger vessel and keep going.

If anyone has any advice at all on anchoraches, marinas, sights to see, fishing or anything else of interest please share!!

We will be creating a blog of our adventures and experiences to share with others at www.SuddenVibe.com once we are under way.

Old 24-01-2011, 12:08   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
You do realize that selling your boat in Mexico or ??? south of the border won't be easy. There is very little market for a US flagged boat located south of Cabo or in the Sea of Cortez.

And beating against the wind for five hundred miles in a 28' boat to return to San Diego will be a nightmare.

David

Old 24-01-2011, 13:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
You do realize that selling your boat in Mexico or ??? south of the border won't be easy. There is very little market for a US flagged boat located south of Cabo or in the Sea of Cortez.

And beating against the wind for five hundred miles in a 28' boat to return to San Diego will be a nightmare.

David
Huh?
When did they chop off so much of the penensula?

I'd have a conversation with the yacht brokers in La Paz about your overall plan. In addition to the feasability "flipping to something larger", he would be a good source of the other info you ask. There are also some really good cruising guides to be had for inside the Sea of Cortez. Down the outside would be a different cruising guide.

I know people who have sold and bought boats in the Sea of Cortez. Some buyers are very international. But I wouldn't expect anything to sell real fast.
Old 24-01-2011, 14:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

David
I disagree. Sounds like a fine plan. Boats sell in Mexico. The bash, while often unpleasant, is not a nightmare. Nothing wrong with March or April for the trip down. The outside of Baja can be cold then. But the trip down and around the bottom will be quick. After Cabo it will be nice.
Old 24-01-2011, 15:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
I would advise you to take your time going down. There are a lot of nice places to stop. Remember that you will have to be pretty Self sufficient along that coast. The Baja Bash is a good book to give you information on the trip down although you will have to interpret it. There is a big chart (available at Downwind Marine) that is coated in plastic and is a good resource for GPS waypoints for anchorages. Charlie's Charts still works. It is quite a trip you are taking on have you thought about putting the boat on a trailer and starting at the top of the Sea of Cortez and going down the inside?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 15:48   #6
cruiser

there are two regattas coming up.. one is San diego to the boarder, (boarder run)

the other is SD to Baja, the int'l run

I think they are wa week apart.. i read something about the O-Canada boat being entered in both... down and back and then repeat a week later... heheheh
Old 30-01-2011, 16:53   #7

Boat: Farallon 25
Get on down and around to La Paz to flip your boat. Get a copy of "Sea of Cortez" cruiser's guidebook by Shawn Breeding and Heather Bansmer. Then head up the sea and injoy. We are in La Cruz (by Puerto Vallarta) now and will head up the sea around March or so when the northers stop blowing. If you can't find a new boat in La Paz you can take the ferry to Mazatlan to get one. I would just head down with a bigger boat to start but I understand the try it out with what you have first. Injoy your trip!
Old 31-01-2011, 10:34   #8

Thank you all for the great posts! Please keep them coming!! We laid eyes on a bene 38 that def got us thinking about heading out in a larger boat. We are going to start looking this weekend! Either way, we are sailing outta here by the end of April! Thanks again for the great tips!

San Diego, CA
Old 01-02-2011, 11:07   #9

Boat: Farallon 25
SuddenVibe, just to wet your whistle check out my wifes blog. She has put up lots of great shots of Mexico.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:23   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
when you leaving--i leave here around mar 1-- jeep a lookout for my formosa out there-- i am going to mazatlan....one stop.... have fun-- there are lots of cool bays-- check your weather often--is nearing windy season and then hurrycame season-- hidey holes exist.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 16:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer
SuddenVibe, just to wet your whistle check out my wifes blog. She has put up lots of great shots of Mexico.
Thank you and your wife for sharing your blog!! I read every post! Please feel free to pass along pointers, photos stories etc!

San Diego, CA
Old 02-02-2011, 16:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
when you leaving--i leave here around mar 1-- jeep a lookout for my formosa out there-- i am going to mazatlan....one stop.... have fun-- there are lots of cool bays-- check your weather often--is nearing windy season and then hurrycame season-- hidey holes exist.
We are planning to leave mid to late march! Joyen's Dream!

San Diego, CA
Old 02-02-2011, 16:32   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
ok you will hit wind season as desert tries to heat up, wind strengthens -- keep offshore about 40-60 miles, catch the southerly drift and sail her .. have fun!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
ok you will hit wind season as desert tries to heat up, wind strengthens -- keep offshore about 40-60 miles, catch the southerly drift and sail her .. have fun!!!
Thank you!! Much appreciated!

San Diego, CA
Old 03-02-2011, 09:45   #15
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I take one of my classes to Baja every year during spring break, which means I spend a couple of weeks in BCS every March. Kayaking, not sailing, but we tend to be even more concerned about winds in a yak than on a sailboat.

A lot of cruisers delay entry into the Sea of Cortez until March in order to avoid El Norte, the northerly winds. Last year, which was an El Nino year, we had a strong El Norte event around March 21st that pinned us to the beach for several days. What's important for you to know is that while March tends to be the season when northerlies abate, there's no guarantee at that point. El Norte can still happen, even in late March, so keep your eyes on the forecasts.

Tags
arc, baja, san diego

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: